THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    best pants/clothes for backpack hunt & suppliers

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best pants/clothes for backpack hunt & suppliers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
the wool thread got me thinking. What is everyone's opinion as the best clothing set up for sheep hunting---backpack hunting. Weather wise, for September/October----cool daytime temps, colder nights, some rain or snow up high in October.

recommended suppliers?----other than the usual Cabelas, REI
thanks hilbily

nothin sweeter than the smell of fresh blood on your hunting boots

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All kinds of opinions I'm sure but I can tell you what I'm going to do the next time we go sheep hunting on the north side of the Brooks in Aug. next year.
On that trip, I'm going to have to siwash it at night, perhaps for several times. I'm not going to take my tent, sleeping bag or stove, probably a light tarp though. The owner of a local sporting goods store who's "been there & done it" regarding siwashing on sheep hunts recommended the insulated pants and jacket made by Integral Designs. They are both kind of expensive but of high quality. Integral Designs is located in Canada - Calgary, I believe. I have one of their sleeping bags for sheep hunting and it's top notch.
Just my thoughts and what I'm gonna do.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Really nothing wrong with Cabela's or R.E.I. heck I buy fleece sweaters at wal-mart but I know what your getting at.
One of the better specialty shops for extream Alaska hunting is Barney's sports chalet. If you need something that is very specialized Barney's is the place to get it.

Bob Hodsen the owner is a real nice and knowledgable guy who's best days have come and gone but did plenty in his youth. He keeps close contact with the younger "hard core" guides and hunters who use and test his equipment.

His store phone # is (907) 561-5242

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Really nothing wrong with Cabela's or R.E.I. heck I buy fleece sweaters at wal-mart but I know what your getting at.
One of the better specialty shops for extream Alaska hunting is Barney's sports chalet. If you need something that is very specialized Barney's is the place to get it.

Bob Hodsen the owner is a real nice and knowledgable guy who's best days have come and gone but did plenty in his youth. He keeps close contact with the younger "hard core" guides and hunters who use and test his equipment.

His store phone # is (907) 561-5242

+1

I actually got a job working there to pay bills while I'm waiting for the financing on my practice to close. I have learned more working there for a couple months than I could have in years of figuring it out on my own. Barney's is definitely high end, but you won't be disipointed with the gear (you get what you pay for). I would highly reccomend stopping in if you live in the Anchorage area. You can call in to the store and we would be glad to help you, but the store website should be up in the next week or two. As far as clothing brands for a sheep hunt: mountain hardwear, sitka, frontier gear of Alaska, Marmot, OR, -33 or polarmax, sporthill are all good ones. I would pick and choose from those brands on different layers though. In other words I would not just buy one brand, but take the best garments from each brand. Plus there's a ton of non clothing gear by varying manufacturers.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Brett , do they have mountaineering boots there ??

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
[QUOTE]
I actually got a job working there to pay bills while I'm waiting for the financing on my practice to close.
Brett

what is your speciality-------if you don't mind me asking

thanks for the info. I live in Idaho , so I will have to check out the website when it is up and running.

i am looking for quality clothing---nothing worse than cheap crap when out in the field. hilbily

Posts: 746 | Location: don't know--Lost my GPS | Registered: 10 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Brett , do they have mountaineering boots there ??

Yes. Scarpa and Lowa plastics. Scarpa and Lowa leathers. The Lowas are well known, but Scarpa seems to be less popular/well known in the general hunting community. There is no quality related reason for that. Scarpa is an Italian boot company making top notch boots for sure. The Scarpa liskum and summit are both better made boots in my oppinion than the Lowa hunter for mountain use. Barney's has actually given input on the design on some of the Scarpa boots. The Lowa hunter and Scarpa liskum are our most popular leather mountain boots. The liskum has a full shank and the hunter 3/4 shank. The liskum has less outer stitching and is found on the rear of the boot while the hunter has more stitching and located toward the front of the boot (read "easier to get torn up"). They both have vibrim soles, but the liskum has a green dot sole which is higher quality. The liskum is triple stitched with tighter stitching and the hunter is double stitched. They both have notches for crampons. Weight is comparable. The hunter is higher than the liskum (probably the only modification I would make to the liskum is making it higher). They are both very stiff making them excellent for climbing, side hilling, and working ledges. They are like having leather ski boots on your feet. The liskum is a superior mountain boot due to its full shank. The hunter is a little more flexible for flatter terrain due to the toe giving from the 3/4 shank. Don't misunderstand me they are both outstanding. Saying the liskum is better than the hunter is like saying a lamborgini is nicer than a ferari. The Scarpa summit is a beefier version of the liskum with more insulation. The summit is designed for cold weather mountain hunting and not your average sheep or goat hunt.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by quickshot:
quote:
[QUOTE]
I actually got a job working there to pay bills while I'm waiting for the financing on my practice to close.
Brett

what is your speciality-------if you don't mind me asking

thanks for the info. I live in Idaho , so I will have to check out the website when it is up and running.

i am looking for quality clothing---nothing worse than cheap crap when out in the field. hilbily

Not a problem. I'm an open book. I'm a chiropractor. I would highly encourage you to check them out. As I said you can really drop some money at Barney's, but it's all top end/state of the art/ect. We also get some cool gizmos in that aren't generally found anywhere else. Like: 3 lbs very compact cot, telescoping ice pick, micro spikes, ect, ect, ect.

Brett

PS. Our frame packs, tents, and clothes are legendary/have a cult following. We sell them to serious hunters and guides all over North America and even around the world including some famous clients from time to time.

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
I have used Cabela's Microtex for the past 10 years or so and don/t think there is really anything better out there. I do wear wool too, but most of the time I'm in the Microtex. Dries fast and does not hold body odor. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brett ; My last pair of mountaineering boots were Franchi Pro Guides .. They lived a very long life .both for the original owner , and me , . I guess I will have to make it a point to go in there , as I hate giving a penny to the greenies ,REI... A friend who was a bear and sheep guide used to work there in the off season ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primary difference between the Scarpa's and the Lowa's is that the Scarpa boots are siffer overall and for me less comfortable; personally I very much like the Lowa's. Cabela's Microtex shirts and pants are a relatively inexpensive and very serviceable way to go. Some folks now like the Sitka clothes, but they are certainly more expensive, but worth the look. As for pants, I really like the Mammut Champs, they are comfortable, quite water repellent, etc. and rugged. Any good quality fleece is great and as for base layers, Patagonia capilene is very hard to beat. Barney's has great lightweight jackets, such as those by Mt. Hardwear and their own Brooks Range Jacket that is fantastic. Don't forget the rain gear....Impertech is hard to beat there, especially if things could get very wet.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB:
The primary difference between the Scarpa's and the Lowa's is that the Scarpa boots are siffer overall and for me less comfortable

That's because the liskum has a full shank (read "stiffer") as opposed to the hunters 3/4 shank (read "not as stiff"). This makes the liskum a better mountain specific boot and the hunter a better all around boot. If you can spend money on different pairs of speciallized boots buy the liskums for mountain hunting if they fit you well. If you are on a budget and one boot needs to do it all then I would consider the hunter.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend who was a bear and sheep guide used to work there in the off season ....

Lance I assume?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.. No,, Brent Hudson .. This was some time ago .. I don,t even know if Brent is still up here ...Good Hand !!!.. He understood that brown bears arn,t elephants ...( ie , that the 458 Win worked better with a 350 or 400 gr bullet than with the 500 gr ..)and made it a little more generally useful . ,,---------------------------------------- The Summit boot , does it have a temp, rating ,
, or what kind of insulation does it have ....,Do the Scarpa boots come in E or double E sizes ..

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]
Alaska...it's like Texas only bigger, but with smaller hats and more wilderness!

Now I've only been to southern AK, but I have yet to see a single parallel between AK and TX, size and hats aside. Not to derail the thread, I'm listening with baited ears.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:
quote:
[QUOTE]
Alaska...it's like Texas only bigger, but with smaller hats and more wilderness!

Now I've only been to southern AK, but I have yet to see a single parallel between AK and TX, size and hats aside. Not to derail the thread, I'm listening with baited ears.

More social attitude and freedom rather than physical similarity if that makes sense. I spent the last 4 years going to school in New York. I'm not sure about everyone else, but New York is a terrible state to live in as far as personal freedoms, the government staying out of your business, ect. Alaska is the complete opposite and so is Texas for that matter. Not a nock on Texas. If anything a compliment. We're the wild west of the north except we ride super cubs and snow machines.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
.. No,, Brent Hudson .. This was some time ago .. I don,t even know if Brent is still up here ...Good Hand !!!.. He understood that brown bears arn,t elephants ...( ie , that the 458 Win worked better with a 350 or 400 gr bullet than with the 500 gr ..)and made it a little more generally useful . ,,---------------------------------------- The Summit boot , does it have a temp, rating ,
, or what kind of insulation does it have ....,Do the Scarpa boots come in E or double E sizes ..

I'm not sure about the temp rating. The liskum would be plenty for most Alaskan mountain hunting in August and September. The Summit is for cold temps like October or November. We sell way more liskums than summits to sheep and goat hunters. I think the Scarpas come in standard sizes. We tend to sell more hunters for people with wider feet as they come in wides.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I was in today and asked about the summits. There isn't really a temp rating. Some people are prone to colder feet than others, so some people would be fine with liskams in October while others would be more comfortable in the summit. It just depends on the conditions and the person. I tried on the hunter and liskam today. The liskam is a lower top boot, but has far superior ankle support. The Liskam has no wiggle while the hunter has some without being broken in. I am considering buying a pair of liskams for myself for everything.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Helly Hansen makes a quality lightweight rain parka clalled Impertech; my guide used his this spring bear hunt. My Cabella Dry Plus parka got re-named "the sponge". Just one afternoon in light drizzle & I was soaked! Bought the Helly a week after I returned. My Cool-Max t-shirts performed very well, as did my Smart Wool socks. Hope this helps/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chaz, yeah alot of those brands are more or less gimicks IMO.

if you want a raincoat, buy one. if you want a windbreaker, buy a windbreaker. one coat doesnt do it all.

Hansons are great. if you want to stay dry, you cant beat them.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
+1 on HH. Smart Wool doesn't hold up very well. For socks Bridgedales and Darn Toughs are more durable and for base layers -33 and Polarmax are much more durable. The -33 guys are the creators/original owners of Smart Wool. They sold it and started a new company. Their -33 gear is more durable and MUCH cheaper. A -33 marino wool base layer top and bottem are about $90.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to check out this -33 stuff.

Layering is the way to go and I like wool, I just prefer a good solid waterproof outer layer.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of the products sold by Barney's under his brand are actually made by Integral Designs of Calgary, AB, Canada. ID makes among the very finest gear available anywhere at any price and their synthetic bags are simply beyond compare for serious AK, BC and NWT hunting as are their eVent shells and insulated clothing plus their tents.

You DO get EXACTLY what you apy for in backpack hunting gear and ID, Icebreaker, Filson whipcords and HH Impertech works extremely well for me, all over western and northern Canada. I would LOVE to visit Barney's and have always been impressed by the gear shown on their old website and await the new version eagerly.

BTW, Scarpas ARE among the BEST mountain boots made and have been for decades. I would LOVE a pair of Liskams and hope to find some here in Canada.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
+1 on HH. Smart Wool doesn't hold up very well. For socks Bridgedales and Darn Toughs are more durable and for base layers -33 and Polarmax are much more durable. The -33 guys are the creators/original owners of Smart Wool. They sold it and started a new company. Their -33 gear is more durable and MUCH cheaper. A -33 marino wool base layer top and bottem are about $90.

Brett
But I can buy base layer top & bottom in a polyester fabric that will last for 600 days of wear or more and cost less than half that , and dries faster ......... And is as or more comfortable ... Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was in today and asked about the summits. There isn't really a temp rating. Some people are prone to colder feet than others, so some people would be fine with liskams in October while others would be more comfortable in the summit. It just depends on the conditions and the person. I tried on the hunter and liskam today. The liskam is a lower top boot, but has far superior ankle support. The Liskam has no wiggle while the hunter has some without being broken in. I am considering buying a pair of liskams for myself for everything.

Brett
...Thanks , I may try the Inferno model .... I had Kasteiger plastic double boots when I was in my 20,s .They were great for vertical ice , but I out grew them .. they were fine down to 0-10 below ..... It would be great to have a stiff warm boot even for general winter wear as my feet sometimes get the Bunny Boot blues .. It takes my feet a month to get in shape come spring ...

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Brett
But I can buy base layer top & bottom in a polyester fabric that will last for 600 days of wear or more and cost less than half that , and dries faster ......... And is as or more comfortable ... Roll Eyes

Big Grin

Why didn't I think of that? I grew up hunting in the synthetic age, but I'm really coming on to wool especially for base layers on longer hunts. I have XGO synthetic bottoms and polarmax synthetic tops I use for shorter hunts.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
Just about everyone on here seems to feel the same way about Impertech. I needed to get some for an upcoming hunt this fall and discovered HH had some on sale at 30% off. Lady told me it was on sale due to a slight color change. Thought some others may be able to benefit like me.

Didn't have my pant size but at least I got my jacket. Anyone prefer the bibs over the pants for a backpack hunt? Or should I wait until I can get regular pants in my size.

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/s-2-impertech.aspx

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
PS. HH is coming back out with the 3/4 length guide coat this fall. No more soggy hip waders!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Do not get the bibs, they are too restrictive for mountain hunting IMO, i'd wait and get the pants.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
Do not get the bibs, they are too restrictive for mountain hunting IMO, i'd wait and get the pants.

Thanks for the advice.

But what if I can't find the same color and my pants and jacket don't match? OH NO! Eeker

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS. HH is coming back out with the 3/4 length guide coat this fall. No more soggy hip waders!!!!

Brett
. Now that is welcome news ..!!!!!!! I assume you mean in the Imperteck style ..??

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Brett

Big Grin

Why didn't I think of that? I grew up hunting in the synthetic age, but I'm really coming on to wool especially for base layers on longer hunts. I have XGO synthetic bottoms and polarmax synthetic tops I use for shorter hunts.

Brett
. For me wool , is Black or grey , one piece with a split tail end .... Great stuff execpt I wear out 3 union suites to 1 thermax union suit .And they cost the same .......If wool will last as long as polyester , great .. But I have my doubts .....................And the poly dries so fast ......

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Agreed, but wool keeps the sent down on longer hunts compared to synthetics. I like my synthetics a lot, but I need to keep the sent down especially with my bow.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Mammut Champs pants on my early season Dall hunt in Alaska. They are wind proof, water repellent and flex with your legs. They are pricey but I wore them for 10 days straight. I had a back up pair of Mountain Harware Windstopper pants with all of the side zippers. They were not as comfortable as the Champs.

I wore REI light weight polyester long johns underneath and was fine.

If I every do a sheep hunt again, I will wear the Champ pants.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quickshot,
You may want to read Bill C's trip report on his sheep hunt. He had a great deal of info on his equipment and he is a solid hunter and knows his stuff.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Quickshot,
You may want to read Bill C's trip report on his sheep hunt. He had a great deal of info on his equipment and he is a solid hunter and knows his stuff.

thanks dogcat, I will give it a read--

thanks for all of the above posts--very good info above Big Grin