Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What about a Remington model 750
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone use a semi-auto up in Alaska? I may be moving up-I may need a new rifle. Big Grin Anyway,I was looking into a Remington 750 in 30-06. Any help would be great. Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure alot of folks have had success's with semi's. Its not my cup of tea.

Only reason I'm not into them is way to many moving parts for my comfort, then again any gun can break.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Even semi auto battle rifles can give headaches .... A long time ago semi autos like the Remington Model 8 ect , and the 351 Winchester. ect . were used ...... I,ve seen plenty of non CRF bolt rifles screw up so I,m pretty much a Ruger or CZ guy ..Never had either of them leave me broke down ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remington semi-autos have a lousy rep for good reason. If you insist on buying Remington, buy a 7600 pump instead. If you want a non-military auto, the BAR (and the military BAR Smiler ) sets the standard.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ragland1969:
Does anyone use a semi-auto up in Alaska? I may be moving up-I may need a new rifle. Big Grin Anyway,I was looking into a Remington 750 in 30-06. Any help would be great. Thank you

rag,

I'd recommend following-up on analog_peninsula's comment on the Browning BAR!

I think the Browing BAR is still offered in a 338 Win Mag. If so, I would trust it in that caliper to function more reliable than the Rem M750 semi-auto 30/06 for bear in Alaska.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
McCann Industry .458WM Garand or .338WM Garand
http://www.mccannindustries.co...458garand/458lt4.jpg

http://www.mccannindustries.co...58garand/458blk6.jpg

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a remington 750 in 35 whelen. It was a nice rifle, accurate, and pretty reliable. Its main downfall was the inability to rack a shell without making a whole lot of noise. THe secret with the remington autos in the magazines. Its almost always the magazines that fail and make the rifles unreliably. Once the springs get weak they won't work anymore.

There are a lot of good rifles out there, the bar is very good, so are the AR10 type rifles. any of the autos are more finiky than simpler bolt guns. Simple is always better, less things to go wrong.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Anther vote for a Browning BAR if you must have an autoloader. I do own a remington 7400 in 30-06. The magazine is difficult to get properly seated and you have to be quite careful of what loads and powders you use to feed it. It is also not the most accurate 30-06 you will ever shoot, but ok for 50 yard shots at running deer in heavy cover.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote