Find
Notify
Tools

Spirit Bear . . . et. al.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
Kinda slow on "real" hunting issues days, so I'll throw out a couple of kewl pics and stories here.

Earlier this year there was a "rare" sighting of an almost-white glacier bear. It was dubbed the "Spirit Bear." Some sort of local native Tlinget spiritual significance, I think.

Anyway, there was a big uproar that this bear must be protected as it was so unique. ADF&G made a special regulation so that it could not be hunted.

Final result - bear gets killed by a car!!!

Here's another image I particularly like. This one made the front page of the local rag. A goat above downtown Juneau:

Can't hunt goats here. They did a big transplant so locals and tourists could seem them in their original range. This was in the spring (I believe) before the non-stop helicopter tours drive them into hiding.

Lots of good photos at:

Juneau Photos

Pat has a cool site. Definately check out the Wildlife section. He is a hunter himself, so there are some dead animals and quite a few urban bear shots.

There one I really like, but I have not scanned yet. It is op a black bear with a McDonalds bag in his mouth. He is strolling on the sidewalk in front of the swinging doors at the Red Dog Saloon. A couple of patron, which drinks in hand, are watching the bear walk by in front of them at a distance of maybe 5 feet. I'll try to get this one posted later.

Hope u boyz aren't suffering from "cabin fever" too bad these dayz.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't hear about that Spirit Bear getting hit by a car, someone must have kept that real quiet...

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No cabin fever here as we are on the far side of winter solstice and gaining daylight!!! Coyote hunting near Portage and Hope on the weekends, work and fly tying during the work week to stay busy and sane.............KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muskeg,

I hadn't heard that the white bear got nailed either. I hope at least AD&G recovered the hide.

This white color phase of black bears does occur on a recurring basis in the Queen Charlotte Islands. They are far from common but are spotted occasionally. National Geographic had a blurb on them some years back.

Good Hunting,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their was a article not so long ago in the NRA hunting mag about a fellow that shot a sprit bear. The article created a bit of a uproar. Poor form at least on the NRA's part.

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote