New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self Guided black bear on POW?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are chances for a successful black bear hunt on POW? I wish I could afford a top guide but I cannot at this time. Suggestions would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scot,

Why don't you just e-mail me direct and then we can continue our discussion more easily.

We do have folks in BC that can do a very reasonable priced spot and stalk hunt with the possibility of a big bear. I agree about sitting in the tree. I admire people that can do it for hours but it is not my cup of tea.

We have a couple of guys that do boat hunts in SE Alaska and the enviroment is the same as POW. Is there some reason that POW is particularly attractive to you?

Send me an e-mail.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I've done the self guided hunts on POW several times.

Black bears are very plentiful. But self guided you probably won't score a book class bear. But you should get a nice 6 - 7 foot bear without too much trouble. First time hunters don't really know how to judge the size of a bear. If you hunt the Spring hunts (April-May) you will find the bears up high. If you go too early, the bears may not be out yet. Too late and they will have started to rub. Fall hunts (Sept-Oct) Early Sept you can find the bears on the streams eating fish. But their hides are thin. If you wait for cold weather and thicker coats, you may miss them total as they go into hibernation.

Licenses were available over the counter. There is 1400 miles of gravel roads on POW. A Lot of it through Native lands that you can not hunt. So you need to get some maps of the island and be familar with where you are. Get ahold of the Conservation officer when you get there. He'll probably find you, if you don't find him first. He seems to get a report anytime a non-resident buys a license. He will give you some good ideas of where to go and where to stay out of. You also need to know how to get ahold of him to seal your bear if you kill one.

You will fly into Ketchikan. and then take the ferry over or fly over on a float plane over to Craig or
Thorne Bay. Almost ALL the rental car companies in Ketchikan PROHIBIT you from taking their cars over to POW. So you will have to rent on the island.

We dropped our bears off at the local taxidermist in craig to finish skining out the head and paws and to salt the hides. He shipped the hides directly to the tannery and shipped the skulls to us via UPS. ( They were really ripe when we got them and opened the boxes).

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Painted Horse! I appreciate the info! Yankees1
Quote:

I've done the self guided hunts on POW several times.

Black bears are very plentiful. But self guided you probably won't score a book class bear. But you should get a nice 6 - 7 foot bear without too much trouble. First time hunters don't really know how to judge the size of a bear. If you hunt the Spring hunts (April-May) you will find the bears up high. If you go too early, the bears may not be out yet. Too late and they will have started to rub. Fall hunts (Sept-Oct) Early Sept you can find the bears on the streams eating fish. But their hides are thin. If you wait for cold weather and thicker coats, you may miss them total as they go into hibernation.

Licenses were available over the counter. There is 1400 miles of gravel roads on POW. A Lot of it through Native lands that you can not hunt. So you need to get some maps of the island and be familar with where you are. Get ahold of the Conservation officer when you get there. He'll probably find you, if you don't find him first. He seems to get a report anytime a non-resident buys a license. He will give you some good ideas of where to go and where to stay out of. You also need to know how to get ahold of him to seal your bear if you kill one.

You will fly into Ketchikan. and then take the ferry over or fly over on a float plane over to Craig or
Thorne Bay. Almost ALL the rental car companies in Ketchikan PROHIBIT you from taking their cars over to POW. So you will have to rent on the island.

We dropped our bears off at the local taxidermist in craig to finish skining out the head and paws and to salt the hides. He shipped the hides directly to the tannery and shipped the skulls to us via UPS. ( They were really ripe when we got them and opened the boxes).