Find
Notify
Tools

.338 in Alaska?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I am curious as to how many Alaskans use the .338 winchester magnum. I read that the .30/06 is a favorite and i would think the .338 would also be. I know they both are favorites of mine.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tanoose:
I am curious as to how many Alaskans use the .338 winchester magnum. I read that the .30/06 is a favorite and i would think the .338 would also be. I know they both are favorites of mine.

The .338WM is one the most popular cartridges in Alaska. Only the .30-06 and the .300WM are as popular.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
You've got a second on this chambering.

My go-to load is 73.0 gr H4831SC stuffed behind a 250 gr partition.

My only gripe is that my rifle is a blued Rem 700. It would be much better in a Ruger or Win stainless flavor.

It's gonna be real interesting when I take my .338 to Colorado to hunt Mule Deer this fall. This will be with the 200 gr B-Tip. Ya think I get any weird comments?

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Muskegman , i was at the ruger website there M77 sporter is realy nice its a stainless model with a laminated stock 24" barrel Im tempted

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Stainless laminated Tikka T3 in 338 WM. It is a great shooter and at 7.5lbs is a joy to carry around all day. So far my go to load as been 225gr Barnes TSX with H4350. The 225 accubonds are very promising too.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
When Winchester introduced the 338 Win Mag (late-'50s?) I thought is was marketed as the Alaskan cartridge/rifle.

Anyhow yes, it's my favorite (in a lefty M70 Classic stainless) rifle right behind my 416 Taylor set up the same way.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 338 is going to SE Alaska this spring with me for a BB hunt. I'm pretty sure it will work if I do my part.

No difficulty at all telling when she goes off. Smiler

Tim

What we detest most in others is what we fear most in ourselves.

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose:
You noted my post on one of your other threads so you know my position. When I go for caribou or sheep, I take my .270 Win. but for anything else, it's the good ole' .338 Win Mag. For moose, elk (on Afognak Island) & grizzlies I'd go with the 225 gr. Northfork. If I went for Brown Bear, I'd go for a heavier weight bullet.
My rifle is a Ruger Mod. 77 Stainless with the laminated stock. I hate plastic stocks & will never own a rifle with one. My scope is a Leupold Vari x III - 1 1/2- 5x and the rifle has open sights for back up. It also has a Timney trigger & the action has been glass bedded. Consistant 1" groups.
Last moose season, one of the guys in our party shot a moose with a .338 using Federal ammo with the 210 gr. Partition. He hit the moose at about 250 yds. (I'm kinda guessing here), the bull turned as if he was going into deep water (he was already in a beaver slough) so the guy shot him again. You wouldn't believe the damage that bullet did. The lungs were total mush, the diaphragm was about 2/3 gone and we never found the heart. Looking back, the guy would not have needed a second shot but the animal was acting as if he was going to head towards very deep water, thus the 2nd shot.
Moose tend to not realize they have been seriously injured and will head towards the nearest water they can find - that's their instinct. Though it may start some flaming, I'm a firm believer in putting the 1st shot into the shoulder to immobilize the animal. We aren't talking about deer here but an animal that will head for the nearest water he can find so if he gets into a fast moving river, you've lost him. Understand that we hunt for the meat and we seldom take more than 1 animal for 2-3 of us. In short, yup! the .338 Mag. is probably the perfect all round rifle for Alaska.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have used a couple of them up here. Both were mod 77 rugers. One had a 4x leupy the had a 3x leupold.

I shot one sheep two moose and three deer with them.

I used 200 gr speers on the deer and 250 noslers on one moose and sheep. 210 nosler for one moose.

I think it is a great round for up here. The recoil isn't bad and it makes a nice hole (usually two Smiler ).

Now I have a win mod 70 300 win mag with a 3x9 zeiss conquest. I am working up loads with 200 grain Barnes TSX for it. I also have a 458 win that I shoot 400 grain barnes X's in.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have shot both caribou and moose witha .338WM. Like bear in fairbanks I have a sister .270 I used on all game smaller than caribou. I feel no need to have anything else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose: I have to agree with what folks have said here. The .338 is very popular and makes for a very good all-round weapon. The .300Win and the .300Wby are very popular as well. I know some of my friends use .30-06s and I have one friend that shoots a .300 H&H. But .338s are commonly seen in the field. The last few years I have been carrying my .378 as my basic weapon. But you cannot go wrong with a .338.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going back to Alaska to live and could take only one rifle it would be a 338 WM. It's not particularly flashy but it covers all the bases and can be had in a fairly light weight rifle that will be as at home on a sheep hunt as in the alders looking for a brown bear.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
I'm with Bear in Fairbanks,

Moose aren't really hard to kill, but where they die can be a problem. You aren't going to drag one by hand. Thus, it's best to anchor him if there is a chance he'll go and die some place that makes it hard to get at him. The 338 is about as perfect for Alaska as I can imagine. If I was going to design a cartridge just for hunting Alaska, it would perform exactly like the 338 Win Mag. After 3 trips with my 300 Weatherby, I returned with a 338 Win Mag. Loaded up with 210 Noslers, I wouldn't have a problem using it for Caribou. As the game gets bigger, go to heavier bullets. If Brown Bear is going to be hunted, 250 grain bullets, or even 275 grain Swift A-Frames are available. That's whats so nice about the 338, it's so versatile.

<allen day>
posted
MuskegMan, I don't think you'll get any weird comments about using your 338 for mule deer, etc., but if you do it'll be out of ignorance. I used to hunt mule deer here in Oregon and in Idaho regularly with a 338 win. (225 Hornadys), and it not only dropped 'em stone-dead where they stood, it didn't tear up as much meat as a 270 Win.

Recently I've used the 338 Win. with 210 Noslers on Texas whitetails with excellent results. They go down right now, and with minimal tissue destruction.

I really don't know how you could go wrong with you 338 for Colorado deer........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338 win mag was made for all North American Game.I have shot 81 deer with 81 shots with it.Its perfict for anything in North america.The recoil is alot smoother than the 300 win mag not near as sharp.I like my Ruger 338s they have a medium heavy barrel which cause these guns to kick back instead of up .They are accurate as heck.I have shot 3/4"groups at 200 yards with my stainless Ruger 77 in 338 win mag.i was using remington 225 gr ammo.I also have a winchester model 70 stainless with boss on it.I let a friend borrow it in alaska .He finally gave it back after shooting 5 moose dead in their tracks.Its a little lighter than the Rugers but I like the Ruger stainless model 77s for Alaska better .They dont rust and are tough as nails.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using the .338 since I was 16 yrs old and now am 49. Both of my teenage boys are carrying .338's as well. I have been everywhere here in the state of Ak. and done it - with me it was with that particular cal. I have other hard hitters but none have gone as much and been shot as much as the .338--very fine caliber indeed.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If I weren't an itinerate gun nut Wink I'd tote a 338 mag, it and the 375 H&H are the best all around chamberings in the state. That said, the few times I'd want more than a 338, I'd use a 416 or 458, so the 338 really is the best all arounder.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
81 deer with 81 shots is quite a claim.

I think your comparison of recoil vs the 300wm depends on the rifles used, however.

My .338 kicks viciously...much worse than my brother's .300wm.

The .338 is a Sako Finnbear, the .300wm is a Ruger M77.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DavidAk,
I have heard that the .338 does just that. I too have a Finnbear, had Gary over at ArcticGunworks do his ArcticKote, trigger job, bed the action and put on a NECG rear sight but I do not have that problem--seems to be a great joy to pull the trigger. NOW on my BPS 10 gauge I installed a SLV Simms recoil pad and what a joy to shoot. Might want to look into something like that, would not be so hard on ya. wave just my .02

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer my Finnbear .375, so the .338 doesn't get much use.

Otherwise, your suggestion is a good one....thanks.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338 WM is probably the most popular caliber up here in Alaska. I have 2 of them, a Sako in the 20" Mannlicher style stock I had hard chromed and a Ruger M77 MkII. I love the caliber and even took my Ruger to Africa and shot 5 plains game animals with it. However, for bear, the caliber is fine if they don't know you're there and their adrenaline isn't pumping and you hit em right. If they're pissed at you and charging you, you're betting your life that it will do the job and you may be wishing you had the biggest caliber you can handle, like a 458 Win Mag or 41 Rigby or Rem or a 375 H&H cal, 450 Marlin or 45/70. You'd find out real quick the 338 WM may be a little light for that type of stopping power. This is my opinion but backed up by a bit of experience on Admiralty Island.
choke

Posts: 467 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
Tanoose:
My rifle is a Ruger Mod. 77 Stainless with the laminated stock. I hate plastic stocks & will never own a rifle with one. Bear in Fairbanks

I don't care for plastic stocks, either...much preferring the Bell&Carlson composites or Hogue rubber overmoulded type.
But, I must admit to my own preference of never owning a laminated stock --- they just look too much like BROOMSTICKS .
Razzer

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ruger 300s and 338 kick less due to the stock and the heavier barrel.I shot my cousins 7mmstw and his ruger 300 the same day as I shot my 338.I do use a past pad when shooting.I also use a standing bench.I shot two of my 338s 300 times one day then shot my 416 rem mag 125 times after that.I used two past pads that day.My winchester model 70 338wm with a boss kicks less than a 270.I shot those deer from 3 yards to 425 yards all with winchester 200 gr power points.It hardly trears up any meat and little blood shot.Its just the right load for deer.I had trouble finding the right load for the 300wm.They were either too tough for deer and zipped through the deer without expanding or blew all to hell.I had a friend give me some does he shot with a 270 with balistic tip.It about ruined the whole two front quaters due to bloodshot.I have shot many deer running with the 338wm.I use the older model ruger 77 with the thumb safety for deer.I can take off the safety and pull the trigger at the same time.I converted to stainless Ruger 77s in Alaska they are accurate as heck and tough as nails.I do wish they had the old safety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the ruger in 338 and almost bought it.It was $749 at sportsmans warehouse.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Riflemanz thats way to high for the ruger. If you have a walmart near you there selling the M77 MarkII sporter model for around $550.00 Its the .338 WM stainless barrel 24" with a laminated stock

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use the 338 WM. I hunt everything with the 225 grain Barnes X over 67.5 grains IMR 4350. I've been really happy with the performance of this bullet and caliber on sitka blacktails, caribou, goat, moose, and brown bears. It gets the job done. Lately, I've been considering getting another rifle in a different caliber but I can't find one that offers a significant advantage over the 338 WM. I have owned 300 WMs and I currently have a 375 H&H and a 30-06 in my gun cabinet but for sheer versatility I find myself going back to the 338 WM. It's a great all around caliber for Alaskan hunting.

Posts: 446 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
.338 RUM ?

NAHC Life Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
iam between cleaning guns & look over my shoulder at the brwonie on my basement wall. ruger 77 stainless 338 with swift 250 at 20 yards. the brwonie rug upstairs was with a win 338 with hornady 250 at 50 yds. i sold the win & later bought the ruger for the 2nd hunt; delighted with the ruger, lupe 1 1/2-5,& the swift a frame. have booked a blackie hunt in '07 & will take the 338, probably with a 225 Interbond bullet. chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I was about to agree 100 % with Yaoutachoke, till he placed the 45-70, and 450 Marlin above the 338 Win for alaska! Roll Eyes

I would say the 338 Win mag is most likely the most popular chambering in Alaska, by Sport hunters. Native Alaskans use a lot of 308, and 303 Brit, chambered rifles, but would take a 338 WM, if offered one,in a minute. There are a lot of non native residents of Alaska who use the 30-06, and 300 WM, but most of them would rather have a 338 WM as well.

I personally use a 375 H&H with 300 gr Nosler partitions, to hunt everything in Alaska, but that is my light rifle for Africa,that I shoot a lot, it is a plains game rifle that is legal for Dangerous game, in Africa as well, and the 338 WM, ultra, 340 WBY are not! Addtionally my Alaska rifle has a Synthetic stock, and is a Whitworth African Express rifle which is CRF, as well. The wood stock that came on the Whitworth warped so badly after hunting the Mulchatna Valley for ten days in a down pour, that it was shooting 3 ft low, and 5 ft to the right at 200 yds. That was in 1986, and I put the synthetic stock when I got home, and the zero hasn't changed since! I have two other 375 H&H rifles, both in wood stocks, that I use in Africa where it is as dry as an old bone! Wink

I don't think you will get funny looks in Colorado useing the 338 WM for deer, or elk, and there are probably as many or more 338 WMs in the hunting fields of Colorado than in Alaska! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I was about to agree 100 % with Yaoutachoke, till he placed the 45-70, and 450 Marlin above the 338 Win for alaska! Roll Eyes

I would say the 338 Win mag is most likely the most popular chambering in Alaska, by Sport hunters. Native Alaskans use a lot of 308, and 303 Brit, chambered rifles, but would take a 338 WM, if offered one,in a minute. There are a lot of non native residents of Alaska who use the 30-06, and 300 WM, but most of them would rather have a 338 WM as well.

I personally use a 375 H&H with 300 gr Nosler partitions, to hunt everything in Alaska, but that is my light rifle for Africa,that I shoot a lot, it is a plains game rifle that is legal for Dangerous game, in Africa as well, and the 338 WM, ultra, 340 WBY are not! Addtionally my Alaska rifle has a Synthetic stock, and is a Whitworth African Express rifle which is CRF, as well. The wood stock that came on the Whitworth warped so badly after hunting the Mulchatna Valley for ten days in a down pour, that it was shooting 3 ft low, and 5 ft to the right at 200 yds. That was in 1986, and I put the synthetic stock when I got home, and the zero hasn't changed since! I have two other 375 H&H rifles, both in wood stocks, that I use in Africa where it is as dry as an old bone! Wink

I don't think you will get funny looks in Colorado useing the 338 WM for deer, or elk, and there are probably as many or more 338 WMs in the hunting fields of Colorado than in Alaska! beer

When you mentioned "Natives and .338's" in Alaska, it reminded me that it was a .338-caliber 250-grain bullet that put a hole through the pipeline last year.

You are correct about the .338WM up here. It's a favorite with Alaska hunters.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect the best all round calibre for Alaska might be the 9.3X64 Brenneke which is a kind of hybrid between the 338 and the 375 H&H.

It has its problems. Only RWS makes ammo and it is expensive so it is a kind of cult gun. But it is effective. Its not much longer than the 338 Win so you can put it in a standard 98 Mauser action (It was designed with the 98 Mauser in mind) without chewing out much metal in front of the lower locking lug recess. It shoots a 286 grain bullet of good SD almost as heavy as a 375 H&H at slightly higher speeds and it is flatter shooting than the 375 H&H.

I once took a 375 H&H and 9.3X64 with identical barrel lengths, sighted them in for 100 yards and then backed off and shot them both at 200 yards and the 9.3X64 dropped much less, I think about 4 inches less at 200 yards. The penetration in boxes of sand with solids was identical - about 26 inches for each.

I suspect that what you get is a cartridge that is designed specifically for the very reliable standard 98 Mauser action, shoots as flat as a 375 Weatherby, is more effective than a 338 and is identical in effect to the 375 H&H.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Gorsline:
I suspect the best all round calibre for Alaska might be the 9.3X64 Brenneke.....

Until you have to buy a box of cartridges out in a village somewhere. Frowner

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect that what you get is a cartridge that is designed specifically for the very reliable standard 98 Mauser action, shoots as flat as a 375 Weatherby, is more effective than a 338 and is identical in effect to the 375 H&H.

Now THAT'S a good cartridge! ... availability aside.

NAHC Life Member
Hunter in Training

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I just reread this thread and it still mistifies me that most hunters sing the prasees of the 338win, but seldom mention the the faster more powerfull 338s.
There is nothing that the 338win will do that the 338 Laupa, 338 RUM, 338-378 won't do better.
Sure the recoil is less but the 338-06 is even less and the 338-08 is even less. With the new recoil pads and breaks out their recoil is not a problem.
I think most serious hunter load their own ammo so cost, avaiability, and bullet choice are not a real issue.
I'm not trying to say that their is anything wrong with the 338win, but their are more power full choices that do the job better. JMHO
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338-378 is just a flatter shooting 338.I use both of them.I have found myself hunting with the 338-378 in the open almost entirely.I have not used my 338s as much as I use to .I still like them in the woods for under 300 yards.I can hit just as good with my Ruger as I can my Weatherby but I do have larger scopes on my 338-378s .Thats the biggest difference.I can hit past 300 yards alot better with the 5.5x16 power scope and the 6.5x20 power scope than I can the 3x9.They are all Nikon monarks I tore up a buckmaster Nikon on my ruger 338.I do like hunting without ear muffs alot better but if I have to make a longer than 300 yard shot I like the 338-378.I think the 338 win mag is a zillion times better for all North American Game than the 30-06.It flattens deer in their tracks and will do the same on moose.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Wow this post came alive again i posted it back in april 2005. DrB most people i talk to dont feel the extra velocity with those cartridges is worth the extra money recoil availibilty ect.I myself had two 338 win mags one in a browning bar and the other a ruger M77. I regret ever selling the M77. I myself am in the proccess of putting together a new .338 and have decided to go with the .remington ultra mag. Its about even with the 330 Dakota and slightly under the Laupa Its my opinion that the extra energy would be better for Brown Bears and the added velocity would be better for long range shots. Later Tanoose

one of us
posted Hide Post
my 338's are as follows--

340 weatherby--82 gr h4831sc--250 gr. nosler or

338/378KT--100 gr h4831sc--250 gr nosler. either will kill a moose in 1 minute and 58 seconds, which is the normal time required for a moose to realise that he is dead.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
My favorite gun for here in Alaska the 338 Win....with Barnes 225 TSX and Reloader 19.

Depending on then game and distance I often carry a 30-06 and 45-70 also.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got another 338 Ruger 77 markII.It was the one I have been looking for.A stainless laminated stocked one with open sites.They quit making them.I do hunt the open tundra and open areas with my 338-378 weatherby .If I do abother fly in hunt I will probally take that new ruger.I hunted with my favorite deer killing 338 in Ak on my first drop hunt.The wood and bluing also was ruined.It changed my mind about using stainless guns.I bought oner right after that.I know that the 338-378 adds about 300 yards further to my 338 but you have to clean it every 60 shots and better have on at least muffs when you shoot it hunting.I liked the Ruger 77 tang safety best becasue I shoot it like a double barreled shotgun at deer.I can take off the safety and pull the trigger at the same time.I tried it with a MarkII and about busted off my thumb.I like the tang safety way better.The MarkI had a adjustible trigger also.I let a friend borrow my 338 win mag and he shot 3 or 4 moose with 1 shot and they about flipped in their tracks he said.He had hunted with the 30-06 forever and was use to them running for the beaver ponds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dr b,it must be nice to afford a $1200-1500 rifel. and sad that my 20 year old ruger is 10 times the gun that my friends 2 new weatherbys are,considering his weatherbys accuracy sucks. the 3rd shot in both his 338-378 fly and cant keep a group. i payed $300 for my ruger 338 and keep 3 shots under a quarter. the only thing you gain on a 375h&h is bullet diameter over a 338, after 200 yards,the 375 h&h drops like a rock.all 15 elk of mine with a 338 win mag have droped with 1 shot with a 210 nosler. 75.0 grains of imr 4350 or 46.5 of imr 4831 works great in my 338, both reloader powders work well too. if i ever need a larger caliber,i would pass by the 375 h&h for a 416