THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Some questions on Alaska (first AK hunt)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some questions on Alaska (first AK hunt)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Assuming my wife and I can stop getting her preggers every other year, I'm hoping to go to Alaska in 2011 to hunt Sheep and either Caribou or Moose...

I'm less concerned with trophy score than hunt quality, and I'd gladly trade a better trophy for a less extreme hunt.

suggestions? ideas? reccomendations? if I had my druthers I'd DRIVE up their and back, but I can't see having that much time available.

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need to go with a guide have a look at outfitters in the Yukon canada.
There is great hunting, for Yukon Alaska Moose, mountain caribou, dalls and stone shee here and a whole lot less driving than going to alaska and you won't see many if any other people.
I am not involved in the outfitting industry in any way. So no conflict of interest just my humble opinion. I could give you web sites of a few outfitters here though.
Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Watson Lake:
If you need to go with a guide have a look at outfitters in the Yukon canada.
There is great hunting, for Yukon Alaska Moose, mountain caribou, dalls and stone shee here and a whole lot less driving than going to alaska and you won't see many if any other people.
I am not involved in the outfitting industry in any way. So no conflict of interest just my humble opinion. I could give you web sites of a few outfitters here though.
Watson Lake

interesting... thanks.

I probably WON'T drive, I just WANT TO, how big of a PITA is taking a gun into Canadia?

Posts: 322 | Location: Lincoln, Nebraska | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark Helmet,

Taking a gun into Canada is very easy. Fill out a form and pay a few bucks.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is where I would go. Check this link.
Wife and I will be out in this area for two weeks starting September 16.

http://www.ceaserlake.com/

Watson Lake

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Hey jack ass .. You want to advertise canadian hunting , do it on the canadian forum .. ..
. I,m surprised Paul let you get away with this !!!!!..
. Dark Helmet; Right now there aint a guide up here near a computer .. I just got back in from 4 days of moose hunting .. Didn,t see the bull I wanted , but saw a dandy fine Caribou bull , ( in a non open season area ) Roll Eyes

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:

Dark Helmet; Right now there aint a guide up here near a computer .. I just got back in from 4 days of moose hunting .. Didn,t see the bull I wanted , but saw a dandy fine Caribou bull , ( in a non open season area ) Roll Eyes

Thanks, that canadian hunt was a touch pricey for what I'm looking at. as badly as I want to sheep-hunt, it seems that it may still be out of reach price-wise. I'd really like to take one or two of the kids with me as well, hence the desire for an "easier" hunt.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Dark Helmet,

No sheep on this hunt but great Grizzly, Moose and some Caribou. Price is VERY reasonable and kids would definatly fit the bill here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...371034101#9371034101

Let me know if you want Brian's contact info.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSSP:
Dark Helmet,

No sheep on this hunt but great Grizzly, Moose and some Caribou. Price is VERY reasonable and kids would definatly fit the bill here.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...371034101#9371034101

Let me know if you want Brian's contact info.

Alan

yes, please alan, I'd love that info... looks PERFECT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I think get a sense why Dewey feels the way he does.
Watson lake

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Helmet:
Assuming my wife and I can stop getting her preggers every other year, I'm hoping to go to Alaska in 2011 to hunt Sheep and either Caribou or Moose...

If you can't figure out how to keep the wife from getting preggers, you probably shouldn't own a gun. Seems you keep having accidental discharges. jumping beer

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
A sheep and caribou or moose hunt would be spendy, but these guys should be able to make it happen:

Dave Morris - Brooks Range

Kirk Ellis - Wrangells, no caribou

Terry Overly - Wrangells, no carbou

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Helmet:

If you can't figure out how to keep the wife from getting preggers, you probably shouldn't own a gun. Seems you keep having accidental discharges. jumping beer

oh wow... I earned that one.