Find
Notify
Tools

Just Got Back
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted
I just got back from another season of guiding in Alaska and I am glad it's over. I was up in the Brooks Range from July 25 through August 26. We took 29 hunters and killed: 32 caribou, 10 grizzly bears, and 2 wolfs. Here are a few pictures from the Brooks Range 2013.

This is Mike from Texas. He has been on 26 episodes of Tracks Across Africa. He started hunting 6 years ago. He took his 126 and 127 species of big game animals with me in August. He is getting after it. He shot this bear the first day in spike camp.

This is my Dad. He has been to Alaska with me several times for various hunts but he had never been to the Brooks Range until this year. He took this bull on the second morning we were in spike camp.

This is the second bear I guided this fall and the hunter is Danny D from California. Danny is chasing what is called the Super Slam of North America. There are 29 species of big game animals and this bear made number 27. He took number 28 the next day when he killed a caribou. All he had left was a mountain caribou that he was hunting in BC in October. We spotted this bear at 10:30pm the first day he was there and he shot the bear at 5:05am the next morning.

This is the third and final bear that I guided in the Brooks this year. This guy is Johnny Brown and he is one of the nicest guys that I have ever guided. We got into a shoot out with this bear. The shoot-out lasted about 45 minutes and the bear was hit a total of 8 times.

I came home August 26 and was home until September 10. I headed back to my fishing lodge in King Salmon. We based our brown bear clients out of the lodge. We had time for a little fishing one afternoon. This is a terrible photo but that's a nice rainbow. He was about 28" long. We fished for just a few hours and caught lots of rainbow and char but this was the biggest.

My first client on the peninsula was Gene Pearcy of Kansas. He has a TV show called "On The Right Track" and he is an outfitter in Kansas that i book hunts for.

This is what you do alot of when you are hunting brown bear.

The next client I got was a 75 year old guy from Texas. He had had both hips and both knees replaced. I knew it would take a huge stroke of luck to make it work out for him but it didn't. We never got a shot at a bear. He just couldn't physically do it.

This is my office chair while in Alaska.

My office view isn't too shabby.

Home.

The most memorable event of this season for me was October 7th. The weather station to my south, the wind registered 78 MPH and the weather station to my North, the wind registered 110 MPH. That was a fun night to be in a tent.

I thought this was a cool sight. A large wolf track in a fresh pile of bear poop.

Another cool photo.

Some of the other bears we took.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! The Brooks Range has got to be one of the most beautiful places on God's Earth. I can't wait to go back.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us about the white Griz. Perhaps a cross??

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We see several of these each year. They typically don't get much bigger than 6½' or so. I don't think it's a cross because we are 200 miles south of polar bear country.

It isn't uncommon to see a sow with two or three cubs and one of them be dark brown and the other be white like this one.

One thing is for certain, they are cool.

Keith O'Neal
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.

The link to your webpage brings up a strange site with just links to other index pages.

quote:
www.tcchunts.com

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The TCChunts.com site is under re-contruction and should be back up shortly.

Keith O'Neal
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report of your successful season, thanks for sharing! tu2

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Interesting to see the variety in Bear. Great trophies all round and looks as if you had a first class season.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote