New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting scopes and rangefinders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm about to pick up some optics. I would appreciate any opinions on spotting scopes and rangefinders.

Spotting scope: Can't really afford over $800-1000. There are alot of "mid-range" scopes in the $400-800 range. Anybody have any experience with these?

Rangefinder: Probably a 500 or 800 yard model. Prices are pretty homogenous, it seems. Any brands that you can recommend?

Thanks.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
Burris makes nice optic for the price you are looking for. Burris has never failed me with any of their optics that they offer.

Nikon makes a great rangefinder too..
Good luck on your quest for optics, you'll get alot of different opinions when it comes to optics.

Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't have one (yet) but the new Leica rangefinders are getting some great reviews from hunters on various forums. I intend to check one out asap.

As for spotting scopes I have the same issues as you do. Everyone says "buy all that you can afford" but there has to be a "best bet" for a given amount of cash. Hope someone enlightens us both.

Good luck.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I did a lot of searching and kept finding great reviews for the leica 1200 rangefinder. I think this will be my next rangefinder. I now have a bushnell yardage pro 800.

The bushnell yardage pro 800 reads pretty quick to 400 yards but is picky farther out. It is a good rangefinder though.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is tough to beat a Kowa Spotting Scope in that price range.

Check out www.eagleoptics.com
Brent

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Check out the following link for 65 mm Zeiss spotting scope.
Zeiss spotting scope at Sierra Trading Post
Sierra Trading Post has it for $999 and if you have never ordered from them before, they are having a special 5% off sale now. You can't go wrong with Zeiss or Swarovski when it comes to optics. You might also want to look through photography magazines. Some of these camera stores carry many other optics to include spotting scopes and their prices can be quite competitive.

As for a range finder, I am using Leica 800 and am very satisfied with it. I would strongly recommend it.

Regards,

YHC

Posts: 13 | Location: AK | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leica LRF 800, and have been pleased with it; if I have to come up with a downfall to it, it's that it's so light that it can be hard to stabilize on distance objects in a wind.

I've also got a Bausch & Lomp Elite 20 x 60 spotting scope, which is light at around 35oz., and reasonably cheap at $475 approx. Then you've got to drop a couple of hundred for your tripod, which is almost as important as the scope itself. I've used the scope in AK, Utah, New Mexico and California, and have been satisfied. It's no Leica or Swarovski, but for hunting a couple of times of year it's plenty adequate.

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i went with the bushnell legend pro, was much better then the leica 800 i compared it too.

For spotting scope I went for nikon 82mm ed, would exceed your limit a little. Pentax is supposed to have a excellent scope reasonablly priced, not sure if your looking full size or compact though.

Posts: 50 | Location: Winfield, KS | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Leica 800 rangefinder and it does everything I need. Too bad I bought the Geovid right before these came out. The Geovid is great but too bulky to pack. My favorite spotting scope is the Swarovski ST80 HD with a 20X60 eyepiece. While it is out of your budget this is one time when you can do it right and not have to buy again for a long long time.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I have a Kowa tsn821 and can highly recommend it as far as price,durability and optical quality.
The down side is size and weight. If thats not a problem, imo the Kowa is only bested by the Leica 77 and the Swaro, both at a much higher price point and both are still large scopes. Kowa makes a 65mm scope that is much lighter and smaller with very good optics if you have to hump a pack any distance and it is much cheaper than the 82mm.

As far as rangefinders, I tried a friends Nikon and was pleased with the results, but I probably wouldn't buy any rangefinder as I've done ok with the Mark 1 eyeball and would spend the funds on other toys.
enjoy whatever you decide on.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote