Find
Notify
Tools

weather proofing stainless
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
I saw the post on protecting blued rifles but how about stainless rifles , I have a 1895XLR which is a stainless rifle and am thinking on sending it out to have the barrel action and any other parts coated.,Theres a company that will do my rifle with diamond coat for $200.00 and i was wondering if anyone has used this or any other type of coating Thanks Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you diamond coat a rifle can you sharpen a knife on your barrel?????

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about using wax as mentioned several times before. I've some stainless rifles and handguns that need to be wiped down often. For extended time in the field I think a coating of wax should do just fine and save the 200- bucks unless you just want the coating. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney H.{500Jeffery}:
What about using wax as mentioned several times before. I've some stainless rifles and handguns that need to be wiped down often. For extended time in the field I think a coating of wax should do just fine and save the 200- bucks unless you just want the coating. Rodney.

+1

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rest of my post didn't show up.....just my smart @#$ remark. Sorry.

I don't really like stainless, so something that would change the color and add some protection would get my vote. I think if was around saltwater more I would like stainless more....where I live I am only in freshwater, so stainless isn't needed IMHO.

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
This is my 458Win Mag Ruger with a a Shilen Stainless barrel . I painted it with Zinc Cromate or Phospate , I can,t remember which .........This is My 416 , built on a CZ action with a Stainless McGowan barrel It is Carre Coated .. . You can tell its mid tide, there is snow on the beach Roll Eyes

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney H.{500Jeffery}:

+1

Dirk

+2

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless one wants a change in color or camo it I don't see any reason to do anything with it.

Just for a test a couple of years ago I hunted with my stainless mkII ruger for 4 days in rain left it wet in a case at night never oiled it never wiped it off. I found no rust or any damage, If course it wasn't salt spray.

But then the test on the first S@W stailess revolvers they tested them for something like 30 days in a spray booth with salt spray and they got just a little bit of rust.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Unless one wants a change in color or camo it I don't see any reason to do anything with it.

Just for a test a couple of years ago I hunted with my stainless mkII ruger for 4 days in rain left it wet in a case at night never oiled it never wiped it off. I found no rust or any damage, If course it wasn't salt spray.

But then the test on the first S@W stailess revolvers they tested them for something like 30 days in a spray booth with salt spray and they got just a little bit of rust.

Salt spray on the Ruger .338WM over nite = rust & pits, Salt spray on the 629 over nite = rust & pits.(Alaska must have better salt spray Wink) The cure is a wipe down every night, then hose it down with WD-40 or rem oil or Kroil & stand it in a corner, next day wipe off the oil & use it thumb As to the real Question, Gun Kote is hard to beat, I have not used it on stain-less but have done 7 or 8 C-M bbls & Mauser actions with it. but when your favorite VZ-24 458WM w/gunkote goes swimming in the salt the bore will pit in less than 2 hours! (don't ask Confused still super accurate)

Good luck on your choice dancing

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I have only had 1 Ruger get a couple small pits , and that was from 2 months of being out ... perhaps the rain washed off the salt ... Browning Stainless Stalkers pit like crazy ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
GunKote works well for me! They also make it in Clear,if you still want the stainless look! patriot

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
I like the extra protection of stainless but never cared for the color so yes i am looking to coat in a black matte finish and wanted to know all my options for the different type of coatings that are available.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
GunKote works well for me! They also make it in Clear,if you still want the stainless look! patriot

I'm going to have to look into the GunKote; never used it before.
I too don't like the bare stainless steel look. I have one rifle built by James Messer, from South Carolina or Georgia, that has a Hart Stainless barrel, and James Messer coated it with a matte black finish that is exquisite. I bought the rifle second hand, and don't know what that finish is, but it sure is beautiful. The rifle is superbly accurate too.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put a NYlite finish on a Ruger All Weather and a Win Classic Stainless. I don't like the looks of stainless. The matt black finish looks great and has held up pretty well. Cost about $200.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot whats the specs on the green stocked CZ?It looks like a nice rifle.I've been thinking about a 416.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
In addition to using rifles that are Teflon coated, I have had good luck with paste wax and WD40 with blue rifles. I am also interested in the other products that were mentioned on anpother thread. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rsm458Lott:
Gumboot whats the specs on the green stocked CZ?It looks like a nice rifle.I've been thinking about a 416.

It is an MPI Double X Magnum Drop Box Safari stock . I initially bedded it and hunted with it , Then I found a good gunsmith in The Butte [ Palmer} . He did all the finish work and had the Cerra Coat done . The stock has like 6 or 7 coats of paint ....It fits Very well ..... Some people deride MPI stocks , I have had several and they are my preferred stock .....

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Alot of guys talking about WD40 ,,, You don,t want to use WD 40 on a firearm,, at least not for dangerous game hunting .... It penetrates but doesn,t do the best job of displacing moisture.......It will ruin a scope , penetrate into your ammo and dud your primers , it comes off to easy . and it is very aromatic ... Deer ect can smell it , and it isn,t an attractant to them ,, on the other hand predators are attracted to it .......... The Lanolin based products smell like fat , another predator attractant but Ruminate repellent . Corrosion Block doesn,t smell like anything other than Corrosion Block , and the odor goes away within a day and it is very minimal to start with ..... WD 40 does make good fire starter tho ... Kroil is another product to keep far away from scopes and ammo ... It is a super penetrant .. Not as good a fire starter as WD 40 .... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know my stainless rifles don't see the abuse that you guys above in AK deal with, but I do strongly recommend eezox.

I suggest the spray bottle. Coat your rifle (inside and out, action and trigger) with eezox. Let it dry overnight at room temp. Wipe your rifle down after the eezox dries. This stuff drys and leaves no oily feel. I have used now two years. IMO it works just like thier webiste states. www.eezox.com

I bet this would work very good for someone traveling to Alaska to hunt.

Posts: 126 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 24 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't live around the salt either but eezoxx has worked on everything I have tried it on. I don't use the spray bottle, I just dampen a rag with it and wipe on a thin coat. Then wipe off any excess. Just like wiping one down with a little oil or wax then wiping it off. I have never had a problem with blued guns in swamp cooler humidity let alone stainless. The swamp cooler with surface rust a blued gun in a matter of a couple of hours if they are not cared for properly. I only treat with eezoxx once a year. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Does a stainless rifle give you better protection over say a blued rifle that has been parkerized?

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Yes , There are almost no finishes that can compare with a good rust proof stainless steel .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best ways to protect stainless is to have the barreled action powder coated any color you want. I'ts tough, won't chip, will not rust.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's no coating like Np3/Roguard.. There's no Coating like Np3/Roguard...
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Is there any coating like Np3/ Roguard

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
eezox over stainless gets my vote. Used it for years now in Alaska, and while the guns show lots of use. They show no rust or pits. I completly strip every screw out of the gun and clean and re-eezox after spring bear. Then they go through the cycle again. Works good. Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote