THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Do you see the need for a magnum cartridge...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you see the need for a magnum cartridge...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
for sitka blacktail in SE Alaska. From what I can gather, most of the area is thick with cover, resulting in shots within 200 yards or less. Am I figuring correctly?

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Actually many of the hardcore southeast blacktail hunters are set up for taking long shots, ie outwards of 600 yds. Think logging cuts. Statewide I'd say you're best to be prepared for shots on the long side of 200 yds.

Hunting in the thick is a sure way to realize that blacktails are way more adept than you at getting out of your way before you ever see them, and getting tired to the bone in the process. Unless you're boat hunting late in the season when they are down low, meaning November/December.

The smart way to hunt is get up high and glass, and glass, and glass. Then be set up for a long poke.

You don't need a magnum per se, but a 25-06, 270 or other flat shooting round is a good way to go.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Actually many of the hardcore southeast blacktail hunters are set up for taking long shots, ie outwards of 600 yds. Think logging cuts. Statewide I'd say you're best to be prepared for shots on the long side of 200 yds.

Hunting in the thick is a sure way to realize that blacktails are way more adept than you at getting out of your way before you ever see them, and getting tired to the bone in the process. Unless you're boat hunting late in the season when they are down low, meaning November/December.

The smart way to hunt is get up high and glass, and glass, and glass. Then be set up for a long poke.

You don't need a magnum per se, but a 25-06, 270 or other flat shooting round is a good way to go.

C'mon Paul . . . get real. The people you refer to are wildlife observers and snipers, not hunters.

I've shot 100+ blacktail in S.E. Only two were shot over 100 yds. EVERY time I've sighted in for 200 yds (August alpine only) I've ended up taking shots under 100 yds.

Pretty much only POW has clearcut hunting. The only place with fresh enought cuts to make this type of "hunting" work. After 15-20 years, just about everything avoids them.

Of the big bucks I have taken, the average shot is around 35-50 yds.

On the caliber thing. If you are in black bear country, it's not much of an issue. .25 cal or bigger. In brownie country, I personally carry a .338 or .375, especially in the fall.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you like getting eaten by costal griz use your 243 .You never know when a bear will pop up.Alot of them are conditioned to come to shots because they know there is meat on the ground.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The choice would be between a .300 win mag or .308 win. I wanted to take the .308 if shots were not going to be extreme. Plus, the rifle is much lighter to carry.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
If you like getting eaten by costal griz use your 243 .You never know when a bear will pop up.Alot of them are conditioned to come to shots because they know there is meat on the ground.

I lived 12 years in Sitka (1974 to 1986) and hunted Blacktails with quite a few different cartridges, even the 243. If bears were conditioned to come to the shot all a bear hunter would have to do is fire a shot and wait for the bear too show up. I don't get into that theory of bears coming into the shot. My closest shot on a Blacktail was at 5 yards with a bolt action 410 shotgun, my longest was just over 200 yards offhand from the stern of a bouncing boat with a 280 Remington when it was still legal too hunt from a boat.

Allen Glore

"Annoy a Liberal, work, succeed, be happy"

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote