Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling predators anchorage area
 Login/Join

posted
Obviously new to the forum, and to the area in general. Looking for some tips on good areas to hunt coyotes and fox maybe a lynx or two starting first wk in Jan. I've got a few mouth blown calls and have been hunting yotes and fox most of my life back in Ky. Also if anyone would be interested taking me under their wing or just going along I'd be happy to facilitate. I've heard good things about the Palmer hay flats and some of the other public access areas around anchorage and ft rich. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks, happy hunting

Posts: 6 | Location: Anchorage | Registered: 20 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It can actually be pretty challenging in the anchroage area. Your best bet would be a couple hour drive south or north towards glen allen. Just about every predator in the matsu valley has heard somebody honking away on a predator call and any public access close to town recieves quite a bit of hunting pressure.

You might get lucky. There can be some good calling on base but your not allowd to shoot wolves there and I believe its shotgun/bow only.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wolves are off limits and yes it's shotgun only but if it's available I'm willing to give it a shot. I'll check on south of Anchorage thanks for the info

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a lot of responses at the kink pull off, hike over the RR tracks and sit. I suck at calling which is why I'm sure I couldn't get anything to come out but they are there.

Also arctic valley has a lot of cats. It's a good hike but they are up there. I could tell you a lot of stories about the lynx up there, I just wish I was interested in hunting them at that time. Pm me and I will tell you what I know about arctic valley.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I imagine brown bears would get called in from time to time

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Chuck

On the Alaska Peninsula we have a void in between moose and brown bear seasons, the Outfitter (Butch King) I worked for booked some wolf hunters to generate revenue and help pare down the overload of wolves in the area. I used a Wildlife Technology Caller and no matter what call was used brown bears gravitated towards it sooner or later. You could see for miles in some places and once we had 7 different bears heading in our direction! Wolves responded too, sometimes they would show-up the next morning at our calling spots.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watterat, did the foxes show-up and did any Wolverine respond?

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
labdad

Not down there,,here at the Lake I've called in fox but mainly lynx,our cycle has been high for years and 1 time when I thought I was ahead of some wolves there was 3 lynx within 300yds of me,I was carrying my 30 Gibbs,too much gun for a lynx! Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interest guys. I figured most public land would be used by everyone, same way back home. I was thinking south maybe around girkwood, or up around wasilla. Some where not close to town but not wayyy out in the sticks. I've befriended a couple local guys here that are wanting to try some private land that's probably where we will do the most good. I will for sure try on post in a couple areas, figure the further out and more remote the better.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Predators in Anchorage? I wanted to say something smart about dragging a fifty dollar bill around 5th and Ingra to catch some predators....

Have you posted this question over on the Alaska Outdoors network? I'm sure you'll get some tips there:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum.php

A two and half hour drive will get you to Eureka. Lots of pull outs near the Eureka roadhouse. I was up there a few weeks ago and saw both wolf and what looked to be either coyote or fox tracks.

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No no I'm after the four legged predators much less jail time for shooting them... I've bounced the idea off the guys there got a little interest, the told me to hit you guys up here and see what else I could find out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have wolves come through several times a winter, hang around a few days, a week, then gone for a couple months. Had them in my garbage cans a couple nights in a row 2 winters back; they turned over 55 gal drums to get at old fish in bottom. Soon as I set up game cam, they got scarce.

My son would use a rabbit squealer to call in yearling wolves at bus stop in early September. Wolf would stay in brush across the road and look the kids over, then head back down towards the river.

We've had wolves in at our bear barrel. Also, get to a place where caribou are crossing the road, set up; you'll see wolves soon enough.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been all over most of JBER with no luck. There are just too damn many people out every wkend in these woods. I'm going to try the areas over towards muldoon when i get some time off again you need a key to get through the gate and get access to most of the areas out there. I've heard tale from a few guys that jim creek area is full of critters but, I don't have a serious enough rig to get back to them.