Find
Notify
Tools

Do you eat Brown Bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
Do you eat your Brown Bear, and if so what parts and how do you prepare them?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3819 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Brown bear is the only, or one of the few, animals that the state of Alaska does not require hunters to salvage the meat after shooting one.

I have read that their meat is pretty "unappetizing".

But there seems to a common aversion regarding eating predators, so it might be edible.

As a wise man once said: "sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I won't know because I'll never eat the filthy mutha ____ers."
Big Grin

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can only speak from my experience at Cold Bay Alaska. I was in on the skinning of three Bears. Imagine rotten fish in a barrel for three weeks fermenting then you get the picture. I have a pair of Gore Tex pants that until this day, many years later, still smells like the Bear. I Elk hunt in Colorado and if I wear those pants and they get wet, every dog on the ranch we pay an access fee to cross, will turn wrong side out when they get wind. ----- Where I hunted the native Aleuts also beleaved that the Brown Bear were reincarnated and if you ate the flesh, you would kill the soul of the reincarnated one, possibly your grandfather, and they were very serious about it. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Is there any issues with trychenosis (sp?), as there is with black bears?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the Heart Was Very Tasty..

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I've eaten off a couple different brown bears and 1 grizzly and probably won't try again.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Most of them are pretty un-appealing but I've had a couple of spring bears that were not bad and had interior grizzlies killed during the spring that tasted as good as black bear

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
In a sick sort of way I'd like to take one of those big bears feeding on a dead on the beach whale, walrus or seal and after going thru the skinning and gagging process, consider bear backstraps for dinner.

Posts: 9199 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
Is there any issues with trychenosis (sp?), as there is with black bears?

Yes there is. In all my years working Public health for the USAF in Alaska every year we would investiage at least one or two cases of Trichinosis.

Every case was contributed by either under cooked black or brown bear meat. The overcooking can contribute to what causes the meat to taste bad, imange eating a Porterhouse well done.

It can be killed by cooking meat to 165F. They publish a time table for pork showing how many minutes it must be heated to for certain temperatures. If the meat is under 6 inches thick freezing can sometimes kill it as well.

Trichinosis is hard to cure. I remember conducting follow up interviews with patients 6 months after being treated and they still suffered severe pains in their muscles.

I did try grizzly, once. Glad the birds like it cause it was disgusting.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
I wanted to try a little of my brown bear that I shot in '09 and it tasted like a bear that had been eating rotten salmon.

I tried some of the grizzly bear that I shot last week and it had been eating mostly blueberries and it was OK. It had a decent flavor but he was an old bear and was a little chewy.

Both cuts of meat came off the hind quarter.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While on a moose hunt in russia one year we stayed at a trappers hut and shared a meal with him it turned out to be bear meat. Thank god it was well cook so no problem with Trichinosis but it was very bland in taste,So i could live with out it!

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten the meat from several black bears. It has always been good.

my brother has eaten black bear meat and he also ate some backstrap from an interior Alaskan Grizzly that he said was very good.

I have been told that any bear who's main diet has been fish, is not fit to eat.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our PA bears seem to live on diapers and carrion. I won't eat them. A bear we got in Ontario wasn't too bad though. Diet is pretty determinative

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to try mine but just couldn't stomach the strong smell of fish.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Imagine the fish stench for them big bears that have fish accessible on the coast....interior grizz prior to salmon spawning are okay, ate them a few times....just the ribs.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
interior berry fed grizz is ok, but chewy every time....just gut shoot one and watch the worms fall out...then rethink the eating it idea...
still can't believe we have to salvage black bear meat...i won't eat that either no matter how good it taste.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grizzley is good if they have not been into gut piles or fish.I ate a few of them.We made steaks and sauage out of them.My old gf was not going to eat any then she tried it.She loved it.I had the freezer full and said feed that bear to the dogs I am bringing alot more meat home.She ate alot of bear steaks that week.It was a good small griz about 7 feet.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of profyhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
Do you eat your Brown Bear, and if so what parts and how do you prepare them?

Yes, i did.
We have taken a bear nearly Baikal Lake and the bear was like boars, but the meat sweetly i think.

Regards
Igor

Phon: +498419819241
Fax: +498419819245
http://www.hunt-club-taiga.de/index.php

Posts: 556 | Location: Germany Kazakstan Kyrgyzstan | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am thinking diet of the bear has so much to do with it. I had tenderloin from a black bear my friend shot in the mountains near Uniontown PA and it was good. So good in fact that my wife told me I better get a bear myself so we have more of it to eat.

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The guides cooked Brown Bear on both of my trips to Russia. I noticed they didn't eat any of it, but rather fed it to the hunters. I passed both times as I couldn't get past the smell.

When I picked up the life sized mount of my 2nd Brown Bear a couple of years afterword, the same smell was still there to the point of running me out of the trophy room. Half a bottle of Febreze has tamed it a bit. Still, every once in awhile, I'll get a whiff.

Nope, I rather eat Borsch than Bear!

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
My dog Oscar won't eat brown bear. He will eat dog turds . So I think that says something about brown bear meat

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I have a dog named Oscar also with the same attibutes. Hes a Beagle

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 100 lb. Village dog from Kake

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
My dog Oscar won't eat brown bear. He will eat dog turds . So I think that says something about brown bear meat

rotflmo

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Gumboot

Do you work underground up there?
Im trying to decide where to go from Newmont... I want to get closer to my home in Wallace Idaho. mining in Nevada .... Well the money is good But it sucks down here if you know what I mean.
Just a thought I dont think Alaska has room for 2 Oscars.
Keep in touch Miner.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will probably have to paint your house to get the smell out after you cook it.
what you think im kidding?

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
We're in the process of feeding our dogs a brown bear right now. We cook it and add ground barley,it smells ok and the dogs scarf it up.

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
You guys are spoilt

That's what hunting is about

Stalk , hunt and eat to survive ...

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post

You sound like a pretty ruff customer Londonhunter,

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Naturally my hands are wet because I am standing under a waterfall !

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
What about that brown bear bacteria they call "bear hand" or is that a term for guys who spend the winters in Alaska alone ???

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I spent 5 month's in the Wrangell Mtns by myself one winter and if I didn't die of bear hand then chances are I've got nothing to fear now.

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
My neighbour also spent 5 months in Bangkok and didn't get AIDS or VD

He got ran over last weekend outside his office