New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are The Chances???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering what the chances were to get a little piece of property and put some kind of shack up in "bush" AK for a little spring/summer hunting cabin, not for the whole year, though? Would this be legal to do if you really only wanted it so you could hunt without a guide for everything? I'm not saying I want to do this tomorrow or anything, but it is something I would look towards doing sometime in my life, and was wondering what you guys thought of it. If anyone could get me some costs on how much this would be it would be great, but I'm thinking I'll have to do that when it gets closer to when I actually want to do this. Also, can you hunt for species like dall sheep, mountain goat, moose, and both bears on public land in AK? Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Land is cheap, but getting yourself there, and building supplies there get expensive, and really expensive. It just depends on how you will be able to get the supplies in. If everything had to be flown in, the cost would be astronomical. The other options are bringing supplies in via boat in the summer, and snowmobile in the winter.

You'd be dollars ahead just chartering yearly hunts, and getting top of the line tents and camping equipment. That also doesn't limit you to hunting one area. You're also not likely to find land for sale that is a short distance to great hunting. Also, very few areas offer a wide variety of big game to hunt.

It's really tough for folks to comprehend how much it can cost to operate in remote areas. You could buy a very nice boat for the cost of building a shack in the bush, and that boat would open up a huge area to hunt and fish.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, as PaulH noted, getting anything from the town to the bush is expensive. Second, you couldn't hunt/trap except as a non-resident unless you also have a second (not inexpensive, either) house in AK; there's a 12-month residency requirement.

As far as living in the bush goes, you'll need to develop a lot of wilderness skills, so you can count on living in a bush village for a few years to develop those before you strike out on your own.

Truth to tell, it is cheaper just to fly up and hunt as a non-resident.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I wasn't really planning on just hunting in the areas around my property, just using it as something so I could be counted as a resident. What would I really need to do to be considered as a resident and not live there for 12 months a year (I'm considering being a teacher, so 3 would be plausible)? I would also go into this with a friend of mine, so we would share the expenses and such. I'd really like to try to do this, though, so any help you guys can give me would really be appreciated.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming your in high school, and I think your dreams are in the right direction.

The biggest fly in the ointment is if you're a teacher, your work year begins the day after Labor Day in most districts, which happens to be the beginning of many of Alaskas fall hunting seasons. At best you'd have the middle to last week of August to hunt.

Here is the reality though. It really wouldn't be legal to list that residence as your primary residence, and live out of state. If you were caught with a resident hunting license and tags, as a non-res, you'd have some hefty fines, likely loose hunting and fishing privledges for several years, and maybe some jail time, not to mention legal fees.

If you still wanted to try and skirt the system, you would need to get an Alaska drivers license for starters. The day you get that license could be used to establish the date you started your residence.

Now the big problem. You plan to stay in PA, but what do you do about the vehicle you drive? Do you register it in Alaska, in a place that isn't accesible to roads? Most states will hassle residants that have vehicles with out of state plates, but are obviously kept in that state. Asside from that, when you apply for a job, or a bank account, or a loan, etc, how do you explain an Alaskan drivers license as your id?

If you look at purchasing land, building supplies, and shipping it in, you're probably looking at a minimum of $50,000, and that is literally insulated plywood shack with a few windows. There aren't many places where the land would have enough trees to allow a log cabin.

Like I said, much cheaper to dish out $3-5k per year for fly in trips, and stay legal. Or a really nice boat for the price of the shack.

If you really want to do this, then plan to move to Alaska. Living in Alaska is much better than being a tourist. It is well worth it. Some of the most wonderful experiences are in the winter and transition months. You won't fully appreciate the seasons unless you live through them.

There is constant turnover of teachers in bush communties. You can get paid to live in the bush. It'll be a unique experience, and if you like it, you'll stay. If you don't like it, you haven't invested years of labor and 10's of thousands of dollars on a shack in the woods that you may have a hard time selling.

One of the members of this forum is a teacher that has lived in bush Alaska for many years. If he doesn't post on this thread, I can dig up his e-mail if you are interested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see lots of state land being sold in the bush. Up around Petersville it is going for about 8-10K for a 4 or 5 acre plot. But you have to atv,walk or snowmobile to get to it. And you have to live here 12 months to be a resident. I for one would turn anyone in I found claiming to be a resident who wasnt one.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
You actually have to live here for twelve consecutive months to be a resident.

A resident is
• a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely and make a home here,
has maintained that person's domicile in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for
a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country;
OR
• a member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has been stationed in Alaska for the 12 consecutive months
immediately preceding this application for a license; OR
• a dependent of a resident member of the military service or U.S. Coast Guard who has lived in Alaska for the 12 consecutive
months immediately preceding this application for a license. A person who does not otherwise qualify as a resident may
not qualify by virtue of an interest in an Alaska business. (AS 16.05.415)..

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
You should also have proof of your bid for residency.

Vehicles registered in Alaska

Utilities and Mailbox at an Alaska residence.

Alaska drivers license ,I don't think you would get far without that one.

These are what you would need to have for a year while being here.

The plane ticket showing what day you got here wont count.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JustinL01:
I was wondering what the chances were to get a little piece of property and put some kind of shack up in "bush" AK for a little spring/summer hunting cabin, not for the whole year, though? ...

Justin,

I am not an Alaskan. But you should listen to what people are saying. I have been through this. Let me share some advice.

I had a little piece of land with a shack for hunting and fishing. At first, it is grand. After a few years, it begins to wear on you. Eventually, it can begin to feel like it is dragging you down.

A simple example. I was only 40 miles from the nearest town. (This is nothing by Alaskan standards.) My water pump broke down. After spending all morning under the house, I made the drive to town to get parts. Came back home, only find that I forgot some bolts and washers. Turn around, make the drive back and forth again.

I came up to my "camp" to do some deer hunting. Only to discover that 1.) some one had broken in and 2.) the electric was out and would not be fixed for several days.

My advice is to go to Alaska and spend some time just looking at property. Think very hard about possibly getting a condo or mobile home in town. You can use that as a jumping off point for many adventures. This is much easier than trying to establish a home in the bush. Also, if you decide to sell later, it so much easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a teacher and have been living in the "bush" since 78. I do live on the road system in Northway. Land prices out here are high (5-6,000 per acre) It is cheaper in Tok. Lots of native land, etc. Things are very expensive, like stated already. There are ALWAYS jobs open in the bush. You may like them, you may not. Hunting in the bush requires spending LOTS of money. My friend taught in Aniak for a year. He wanted to enjoy it, so he shipped his boat, 6 wheeler, etc. out there. Thousands of dollars later, he left in the spring, flew all of it back out again. He did enjoy himself and had the money to do it, but the costs are astronomical and it is tough in a lot of villages to find someone that is "eager" to take you out. If I can answer any other questions, just shoot away.

Northway

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin - check this out - www.remoteproperties.com - KMule

Hear and forget. See and remember. Do and understand.

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mmmm...this could be a good idea for me to buy some land that I can hunt on for a couple of weeks out of the year and then retire to live in my little shack away from all people (that is if I'm still single). Thanks for all of you help, guys, I really appreciate it.

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you still wanted to try and skirt the system

Where did this come from? He was just asking if it could be done! Geez.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...so I could be counted as a resident. What would I really need to do to be considered as a resident and not live there for 12 months a year

Maybe this is part of "skirting the system"

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Oh, for heaven sake. He is asking how to do this legally. All someone needed to do was say no, can't do it. I think that would asnwer his question.

Since everyone thinks the worst of people anymore I'm not surprised at any of this. I was going to ask what I could up to AK and legally hunt on my own without a guide but think I'll just continue to deer and turkey hunt on my own land here. My first time in this forum and I guess now, my last.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Crane,
I don't think there was ill will toward the original poster. When he asked about residency requirements there was plenty of information posted. Then he asked how to get around that legally. A lot of that happens up here.

If you want to come to Alaska to hunt, you don't have to hire a guide unless you hunt Brown Bear, Grizzly Bear, Dall Sheep or Mountain Goat. For those you do, others you don't. Unless you have a relative of 2nd degree kindred living here and is willing to go on the hunt with you.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Justin:
If you spend 12 months physically in Alaska, you are considered a resident.You can then leave Alaska and never ever set foot here again and still be considered a resident. The Hunting/Fishing residency rules say, you cannot claim residency in another state. You need to vote Absentee, and not take adavantage of any other states residency benefits. Most of our Commercial Fishermen and a lot of the newer Hotshot Guides actually live in Washington, Oregon or California. They follow the rules and get away with it. The State website will explain it.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a bunch of dirtbags that live here and enjoy the attendant benefits..hunting, fishing, dividend checks, good paying jobs...without contributing anything.

They find a way to skirt the system legally and take advantage of the natural resources, taking the money home with them.

Just 'cause it's legal don't mean it's right...and if you're looking for advice here on how to do it, I'm hoping most folks won't be offering you any helpful suggestions.

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much it costs to live on the road system but to live in the bush with any comfort is a considerable expense. Our home power averages $ 5000 a year air freight bills on tax return this yr were 7200 and travel and board to Anchorage went close to 6000. Everything takes 2to3wks to get here then its usually the wrong part. On the other hand we couldn't live anywhere else and after a couple days in town we're pineing for home. It doesnt take much to make your day in the bush, a new Husky chainsaw made mine today. trapper Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiousity, if it was legal, and I spent the 12 months in AK to be considered a resident and then moved back to wherever I lived before that, what's wrong with keeping a cabin somewhere in AK so I could go and hunt on my own? I'm not saying I'm going to try to do that, but I think it would be awesome to be able to take my 2 weeks vacation and go to AK and get some down time while having the time of my life hunting on my own for game I might otherwise not get to see. I know it would be a lot of work, but I'm young, and that's part of the adventure for me. I realize, I'm not an Alaskan, but if I payed my taxes there and owned property in the state, why would any of you have a problem with that (which hasn't ever bothered me before)? I don't want to bother anyone else while I'm up there and don't want anyone to bother me. I don't want to stir the pot, I'm just curious as to what you guys have to say about it.

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Justin:
You can do that, as long as you read the residency rules and follow them. The main thing is you cannot claim residency in any other state.
A lot of people do it. I'll give some examples:
"Resident" Cook Inlet Commercial fishermen, live in Wa. Or. and Ca.
"Resident" Sport guides on the Kenai river live in other states.
"Resident" Big game Guides also live in other states.
No one has any accurate figures because of the way the law is written.
Most of the "REAL" Alaskans frown on this kind of crap. Its a cop out. If you want to enjoy the benefits of Alaska, then you should also put up with the bad parts.
Its kinda like being a badass "PH" in Africa and living in the USA.
Yea Right.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If I understand it right, your premise is you want to do this so you can skirt the requirement to get a non-resident license and tag. As a non-resident, you can hunt moose, black bear, caribou, and blacktail deer on your own.

The reason most of us frown on someone claiming to be a resident, when they truly aren't, so they can get a resident hunting and fishing license and tags, is that it is dishonest. We don't like liars or cheats, and we have to put up with plenty of them.

It's a great dream, go for it, just do it honestly and on the up and up. If you really love it here, then you won't want to go back home.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JustinL01,

If you spend some time up here you will find it very different than "outside". Up here we look each other in the eye, a handshake agreement is still important, and truth & honesty are still held in high esteem. Neighbors still help neighbors because it's the right thing to do.....we love being here. Do it legally and no one will care..........otherwise, you won't have the great experience you might while you're here. My guess is once you're here you'll realize that "outside" just doesn't come close........chances are you'll choose to be an Alaskan. I believe that if you're a guide, outfitter, fisherman or otherwise, then you should live here, a resident of the state......anything less is, as TJ stated, "a cop out".

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said, Joe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm..interesting responces. I don't really know what I would think about doing. Maybe just getting a little cabin up there and taking a week or 2 off to go hunt black bear or moose every year or as a nonresident was one of my ideas, and then retiring to live there and hunt everything as a resident was another. I just don't think I could take a year off from work to go live there a year and then just leave to come back to where I came from, but if I could still hunt as a resident in AK after that, it would be pretty cool.

As to some of the other responses, I understand you guys don't like other people coming up and claiming to be residents in AK when they don't really live there, but if the person has land in the state and pays taxes there, who are you to tell them they can't get a resident hunting license there? I'm not saying you would be wrong in not liking it, we just have a difference of opinion there, and there's nothing wrong with that.

ovis,
I was offended by your post. Why? It was arrogant. If this were in person, I would look you in the eye when I said that, too. I don't come from a city, I come from the country here in PA. To say the people are any less respectful here than they are in AK, sir, is nothing but arrogant. Those things you talked about in your response were a good portion of my upbringing, and I was also taught to speak up when I didn't like something, so here we are. I'm only 19 years old and I don't know where I'm going to be in 6 months let alone in enough time for me to make enough money to buy a place in AK, so how about easing it up a little? I was just doing a little checking up on some goals I have in life.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
First of all, you won't be paying any taxes. There is no income tax, which wouldn't have an effect on someone not working in the state. Most rural land has no property tax. So what taxes are you paying? The only sorta tax you could pay is non-resident hunting and fishing fees, but you don't want to pay those.

Realize alot of what is being vented towards you is frustration over the many many people that come up to the state, take advantage of what it has to offer, then leave. Also the many that live in the state, leach off it, and refuse to get jobs.

You also seem to refuse to accept that what you propose to do is dishonest. A plan to cheat the system so you don't have to pay non-resident hunting and fishing fees. You can justify that any way you want to yourself, but it doesn't change the fact it is dishonest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JustinL01,

It appears that the values you say you have were momentarily forgotten when you proposed to circumvent our laws for your own gain........offended?????? My suggestion to you is to "heal fast and don't scar". Also, if you ask an Alaskan a question, you'll get an answer, even if it's not what you want to hear...doesn't matter if you're from the city or country born and bred......cheating is cheating in both places...........19 or 59, dishonesty wears the same coat.

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
not to belabor the issue further, but here is what the regs say verbatim:
"a resident is:
a person who is physically present in alaska WITH THE INTENT TO REMAIN INDEFINATELY AND MAKE A HOME HERE, has maintainedthat persons domicile in alaska for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding this application for a license AND is not claiming residency OR obtaining benefits under claim of residency in another state, territory or country."

doesn't sound like what you intend.
'nuff said.

Posts: 9 | Location: homer, alaska | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys seem to be bringing up dishonesty a lot, and I just don't see it. I'll be paying non resident fees in any other state I hunt in (including the one I live in at the time), that's not why I want to have residency in AK, I just want to be able to hunt everything there without a guide, really. It has nothing to do with the fees. As for paying taxes, I didn't know they were different from most other states, so I apologize for my ignorance.

ovis,
Circumventing laws? If it's legal, why shouldn't I do it? Healing fast and not scarring doesn't have anything to do with telling someone when you think their wrong or not liking what they tell you, bud. I didn't ask the question to hear what I want to, you just said some extra things that I didn't really care about. Again, you're saying, "If you ask an Alaskan a question, you'll get an answer, even when it's not what you want to hear." Why would it be any different anywhere else? Just a little more arrogance on your part, if you ask me. I didn't ask so people would flower the answer up, I wanted to know what I would have to do to make it was legal. Honestly, I don't care what other people think of what I do, either, as long as I'm legal in doing it, because I was taught if I wanted to do something, and other people didn't like it, don't let them stop you. Really, AK for me is a place of solitude, and I'm sure even if I wasn't there 12 months out of the year, I could make some friends there, if I really wanted to, but again, I want to go there to spend some time in the woods alone there and do some things on my own that I can't do anywhere else. I guess what I'm saying to you, sir, is if it's legal and I want to do it later in my life, I will, whether you like it or not. In the end of your post you went back to talking about cheating and dishonesty...well, again, if I'm legal, where is it really cheating? You have the same chance at getting the animals as I do, actually better since you'll be there more than I will (since you live there), so what's your real gripe? I don't want to start a business there or bring anyone with me, so what is the big deal if I just want to hunt there without a guide? Actually, if I were a nonresident, AK would be getting less of my money, because I wouldn't hunt there as often (and I know the license fees are quite a bit more for nonresidents, but I would hunt there very few times if I needed a guided hunt every time I went there) as I would as a resident if I didn't need a guide. The guides would be the only ones really making more money off of me, and what do you care about them? It was even said before on this post, there are guides that don't live in AK, which should make you more angry than what I want to do. I'm tired now and probably not making as much sense as I would like to, but this is when I read the post and wanted to respond quickly. So, I guess I'll stop there...

posted Hide Post
New to the forum but just couldn't resist jumping in on this one!

Justin - Alaska is a great place, and I hope that someday you are able to have your cabin in the bush and enjoy what many of us have already discovered. However, in reading your posts, it seems that you're trying to figure out how to obtain Alaska resident benefits (specifically hunting) without actually becoming an Alaska resident. Please don't be surprised or angered that you are not getting a lot of help!

There's no reason that you, as a non-resident, can't live in Alaska part-time and enjoy some pretty good hunting opportunities as a non-resident. Then, perhaps someday, you will be able to live here full-time and enjoy the hunting opportunities as a resident.

As RMiller has already pointed out, to hunt (legally) as an Alaska resident, you must be physically present in Alaska for 12 consecutive months prior to purchasing a resident hunting license, and must then maintain a domicile in Alaska with the intent to remain in the state indefinitely. Just owning property, even a second home, in Alaska will not cut it unless you actually live here. I personally know of numerous instances where individuals have tried to do exactly what you are proposing and have been successfully prosecuted for falsely claiming residency and purchasing Alaska resident hunting/fishing licenses. It's just not as simple as owning a cabin, having an Alaska driver's license, and being registered to vote here.

TJ - I'm sorry, but I have to differ with you regarding living in Alaska for 12 months and then moving away from Alaska permanently while remaining a legal Alaska resident. Not only must you not obtain resident benefits in another state, but you must also be physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinitely. I realize that some folks do get away with this, but again, I am personally aware of registered guides who live out-of-state and have claimed to be Alaska residents who are now finding out (the hard way) that they have no legal leg to stand on. What they had been doing was never legal, it's just that they had not been caught! However, I do agree that the law could be written a little better so there is not so much room for "interpretation."

Sorry for the long post, but this one was just begging me to jump in with both feet. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The "key" word in the residency definition is "intent."
If I spend 12 months here, and buy a home, I am then considered a resident.
I then buy a resident hunting license.
I move back outside but continue to own and pay any taxes on my home here.
I keep my Alaska drivers license and claim no benefits from any other state.
I return next September, with the "intent", of returning to Alaska permanently.
I buy a resident hunting license.

1...I am physically present in the state.
2...I have maintained my domicile in Alaska for the preceeding 12 months immediately preceeding the application.
3...I have not claimed residency in another state, nor received any benefits from them.
4...My "intent", is to move back to Alaska.

I have complied with the law.
After hunting season, my "intentions" change.
I leave the state.
Its pretty hard for the State to disprove my intent.
If the state has prosecuted anyone for violating the residency requirements, it was probably the "benefit" clause.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm totally opposed to this. The law should be changed.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it would help to back up and make the discussion simple. It seems clear you have no desire to live in the state full time. Based on that, I don't see how you could honestly consider yourself a resident of the state. To be honest to yourself, you'd know that you were a resident of PA, or wherever.

Now I don't see how you could consider it honest to purchase hunting and fishing license and tags in Alaska, as a resident, when you'd konw in your heart you weren't. There are lots of things one can legally get away with that are dishonest, immoral, and wrong.

Every year you come up for your two weeks of solitude, you'll have to look the man or woman in the eye as you ask for a resident license, and fill out how many years and months you've been a resident, and sign that license. When you purchase that license and tags, you'll either have a voice in your head saying, man this really isn't honest, I hope I don't get caught, or worse yet, a voice saying, man I'm pulling over a good ones on these suckers. You'll also have that voice in your head each time you tag an animal you've harvested, and whenever you look at the mount the taxidermist made for you. The fact that you cheated will diminish the value of that trophy to you, and no matter how great the hunt was, nor how great the stories you tell of that hunt, you'll have a twinge a guilt each time you relive the hunt. That's no way to live, but it's your life, and your conscience.

You should seriously consider this issue, as it has to do with the big picture of how you want to live your life as an adult. Either trying to get one over on the system or others at every chance, or taking the high ride and doing things right, no matter how hard that is, how much it costs, or what you'll have to forgo to do the right thing.

posted Hide Post
TJ - No misunderstanding; I realize you are opposed to this, and I'm with you all the way. I also agree that the law needs to be strengthened with wording that is less open to interpretation. However, I also believe that the law, as written, is not as bad as some believe.

Actual case in point - An Alaska resident accepts a job down south and leaves the last frontier. But, he keeps his house (but rents it out), maintains an Alaska driver's license, maintains his voter registration in Alaska, keeps a vehicle registered in Alaska, etc... Spring bear season rolls around, and our "resident" comes back to Alaska and hunts brown bears, without a guide, using his Alaska resident hunting license. After the hunt he returns to his new home and new job down south. He is later charged with falsely claiming Alaska residency and hunting brown bear without a guide. The State prevails by proving he had no intent to remain in Alaska indefinitely.

Things to look at might include where his family is living, where his kids go to school, whether he quit his job before coming up to hunt or just took vacation time (with his job waiting for him to return), whether he closed out bank accounts, utility services, etc... It's not as difficult as you might think to show someone had no intention of staying indefinitely, it just requires some effort.

I guess that what I'm trying to get across (to Justin, mainly) is that what he's proposing to do actually is illegal, and not just unethical (which it is, too). Also, the possible penalties just are not worth the risk. Suppose Justin (or anybody else doing the same thing) kills an animal in Alaska (Dall sheep, Brown/grizzly bear, Mountain goat, etc...) on their resident license and then takes it back "home." They may have now committed a Federal felony as well as Alaska game violations. IMHO, it's all bad, and not worth the risk.

Paul H - Well said.

With spring kings and spring bears right around the corner, I wish you all tight lines and a clear sight picture!

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I'd change the law to clarify it.
After you spend the original 12 months in the state to establish residency, to qualify for continued residency in the following years, you would have to spend at least 6 months and 1 day of the preceeding year, in the state.
This will of course go nowhere, because of lobbying by Commercial fishermen from Seattle and San Diego.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where once we had strong regional economies, we now have a global economy.Everybody in every state benefits from things that come from every other state without having to be a resident of those other states.

The wildlife of Alaska, and South Dakota, and every other state, belongs to the citizens of the United States as well as to the citizens of the individual states.

There is no good reason why a fellow from New York should not be able to go up to Alaska and break his neck hunting sheep on a $10 license if he wants to, just as there is no good reason why a fellow from Alaska shouldn't be able to run down to the Adirondaks and shoot a nice whitetail for a $10 license fee if he wants to.

The good fight will continue to be fought. But the times they are a changing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to think about getting one of these

As for being a resident? well yes "almost" everyone must live there to be counted as a
resident.

The exception is Native's on Metlakatla.
which does not help you.

If your married and have a job down south
don't bother coming up you will only wind up getting divourced and living the good life

Pottsy

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I got out of the military for 2 years and went to Alaska to become a cop in Barrow.

I hated living in the Artic, or the X-wife did. So I got back in the military when the recruiter called and asked how things were going.

6 years later and I am still an Alaska resident. I can't get perminant fund checks without returning to Alaska every 6 months. So I don't!

I can hunt and fish once a year for anything I want so I do.

Alaskan's don't pay taxes and most of the military is still paying taxes in there home state.

If your able bodied you should call the Coast Guard and tell them you want to go to Alaska. Give them 4 years and see how you like it. They are the easiest one of the 5 to join and end up in Alaska. They will probably guarantee you Alaska, I think the Air Force might as well.

Your from PA, your going to meet people who won't help you with in Alaska because of your Eastern Accent (provided you have one).

I am from Wyoming and there isn't much difference in how Alaska works. Like All westerners, Alaskans are pretty intolerant of non-western, and California outsiders.

Desolate Solitude will be an interesting pheonimon for you. (no I can't spell pheonomiinon!)

Good luck. When I retire in 8 years I am going to decide Anchorage, Fairbanks, Billings, or Casper, until then I am an Alaskan.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Where once we had strong regional economies, we now have a global economy.Everybody in every state benefits from things that come from every other state without having to be a resident of those other states.

The wildlife of Alaska, and South Dakota, and every other state, belongs to the citizens of the United States as well as to the citizens of the individual states.

There is no good reason why a fellow from New York should not be able to go up to Alaska and break his neck hunting sheep on a $10 license if he wants to, just as there is no good reason why a fellow from Alaska shouldn't be able to run down to the Adirondaks and shoot a nice whitetail for a $10 license fee if he wants to.

The good fight will continue to be fought. But the times they are a changing.

Just as there is no good reason some yahoo from New York can tell us we can't get our oil out of the ground, because he wants to protect the land he has never, nor will never see.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Justin- You are right! I grew up in Seattle, Washington and couldn't tell you how many times Alaskan residents came down to Washington and bought stuff without paying sales tax because Alaska residents are "exempt"- that is Washington State Law. But, for those who want to argue that "it may be legal, but not right"...Did you pay sales tax when you were in Washington?

My (biological) father lives in Barrow, he is a bush pilot, he spends most of his time in Grand Canyon, AZ. My wife grew up in Juneau. Most Alaskans aren't quite so hard headed....go there and see for yourself. I like your attitude.

Idaho "The Peoples Republic of Alaska???" Vandal

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Just as there is no good reason some yahoo from New York can tell us we can't get our oil out of the ground, because he wants to protect the land he has never, nor will never see."

I have no problem with that. You guys drill your oil, and make sure that you change your laws so we can all come up there and hunt without a guide when we want to.