New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little wolf control.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First check of the year. Had 6 snares set and picked up three wolves. Other three snares had been pushed aside, so should have had a personal best of 6. Hopefully the other 3 will plus more will find a way into more snares and traps this winter!

[IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y453/mikecronk/P1000827_zps986ddb60.jpg"> [/url][/IMG]

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. You are batting .500. Thanks for the photos.

I see Winter has arrived.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good going. It is not often I come to a snared wolf and it is still kicking. What type of snare are you using.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chilcotin,

The wolf laying down got through the snare and was caught be the back two feet. I think the snare dropped down a bit after I set it due to a big wind that blew. The other wolf that was alive was caught perfectly but the lock bound up with the hair and was a thompson lock. The dead wolf was with a cam lock. I simply won't have any other snares made that don't have cam locks. I have never had a wolf alive using a camlock that wasn't dead except for leg catches.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Holy Mackeral,,,6 snares 3 wolves!!!

good going Mike!

Hillbilly,, good on camlocks,,I'll start switching over in my snarebuilding

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cam locks are the answer,that said,fantastic job obtaining three wolves in one set.

Keep up the excellent trapping reports and good trapping !!!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal Northway. You guys got some snow, it missed us again; I can still see dirt everywhere I look. I played around setting snares when we first got up here a dozen years back, but too much fuel and everybody fights over areas. I'm going to set some snares on game trails that follow a few creeks a few miles back my woodlot trail. Local dogs getting caught have caused some problems; seems like everybody wants to trap in their back yard and get local dogs. The local pets don't get 4-5 miles back in, so soon as we get some snow, fire up skandic and get back there.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northway , That happens from time to time, I had a camlock get hungup on with a willow last year. I also have about half my snares with Sennecker springs, it does seem to finish them off quicker.
Good luck on the rest of the season.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Way To go Buddy !!! get em all.

I know, I need to be doing my part, wish I new how to trap, or where to set them. Most places I go there are hikers with dogs. Maybe try in the AK range with the sled. Thanks for sharing....

Chuck

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellant!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
Way To go Buddy !!! get em all.

I know, I need to be doing my part, wish I new how to trap, or where to set them. Most places I go there are hikers with dogs. Maybe try in the AK range with the sled. Thanks for sharing....

Chuck

Chuck,

Every wolf counts! I am sure the AK range could use some coyote control! Let me know if I can help with the trapping part. Always willing to share knowledge. Every effort to control predators help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple more that won't be eating moose or bou.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice how do the fur prices look this year.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Northway.
I'm out of State now and travelling again for Christmas. I hope to open the trail to my cabin before Xmas and then set some traps starting in Jan. Hopefully I can help the Moose in my area, even just a little this year.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Nice how do the fur prices look this year.

Fur prices look great! Wolves are always consistent with price, but it looks like all the regular fur bearer species should be very good. Looking forward to the first NAFA auction! I sell most of my wolves to individuals or taxidermists, and then some to our couple of fur buyers.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Not to David Green Master Furrier? hilbily

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
Not to David Green Master Furrier? hilbily

LOL! Nope!! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the going price for a wolf pelt? Just out of curiosity.

Posts: 294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 17 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
a friend of mine and i are looking for a wolf hunt in AK. any suggestions??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rich-:

Depends on raw or tanned, size, color, quality and who you sell to.

Blacks sell for less, whites sell for more. Browns less than grays.

Local fur buyers pay the least. If you sell to taxidermists or parka ruff makers you can do much better.

The tourist places charge big bucks for tanned pelts that often are small and poor quality.

So...maybe $100 to $500 for a decent size and color raw pelt. More for the largest, highest quality, best color--to the right buyer.

A lot of wolf pelts are poor quality/color.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wolf hides vary in price. For me, blacks are the easiest to sell and bring the most $$, other than a white one and we rarely have white ones here. So pretty much blacks and grays. Prices can range anywhere from $75 to $1000+. Pups of the year bring the least, but we do catch some wolves that are pretty much just wool and they are the $75 ones. Most decent adult grays will bring around $275-$400. Some of the big well furred blacks $500. For the most part I average about $250 a wolf.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. What are wolf pelts most commonly used for once they reach the end user?

I've never really heard much about wolf pelts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting. What are wolf pelts most commonly used for once they reach the end user?
I've never really heard much about wolf pelts.

Many get hung on the wall, either as just a tanned pelt or as a rug with the head mounted and a felt backing. A few get made into fur coats--I've seen some very beautiful ones over the years. Quite a few get cut up to provide parka ruffs that can sell for $200-$300 each.

Wolves vary greatly in color. I've seen some that are "blue" actually kind of smoky gray. Very pretty.

Biologists have documented that individuals can change color as they age. Some can be born black but end up gray as they mature.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Helmer got 5 last week in snares real close to his house. Charlie House shot one the other night in his dog lot. One other local guy got one in a snare. Most were yearlings I heard. These wolves are hanging close to town, hungry to eat the local dogs. I live 5 miles out of town and haven't seen a track on my trails the last three weeks. We haven't gotten a foot of snow so far but it did blow around and fill in the moose trails. I was out today packing my woodlot trail, plan on setting some snares this week if I find some sign. They haven't hit my old caribou hides or heads I have wired to trees; but I guess they are walking the streets in Eagle, ha.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Northway. We could use your expertise down here in Sask. Way too many wolves. They're raising he'll with the deer population. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 146 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 16 October 2010Reply With Quote