New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Russia or Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just looking into a Brown Bear hunt. Would appreciate any thoughts on Alaska v/s Russia. Where do the bigger bears come from? Which hunt is cheaper!!!

I am told both bears are the same species!

Thanks,
Reddy375

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I haven't done an exhaustive study on the two, but from what I've read and heard, neither one is a cheap hunt, and trying to go cheap in either local gives you high odds of disapointment. I think by the time you pay for the extra travel, and perhaps some permit fees (bribes) cost is a wash.

I'd be very leary of doing a hunt in Russia, there are always a bunch of officials that have to approve anything, and the risk your guide doesn't have the proper permits for hunting. I'm also wondering how effective their game managaement is, and how much of a poaching problem they have.

If you want good odds of a good hunt, find a top notch Alaskan guide and pay the price.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
russia will be cheaper.

ak. has the larger bears on avg as compared to a kamchatka b.b..

if russia had the bigger bears they would command more money.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've looked into this a couple of times and there are many variables and differences for each locale.....however, the difference in the price of the two hunts is negliglble when all is considered. I did the research when considering the bear as a backup hunt where the primary hunt was snow sheep....there are lots of areas that have been shot out of one or the other or, sometimes, both, yet permits are still sold for those areas.....when I say shot out, I'm referring to mature as well as borderline animals.

As PaulH stated, trying to go cheap in either locale will probably end in disappointment.....in Russia, there's no real recourse if things go badly.

PaulH, did you make it down for the Wooden Boat Show?

Joe

Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Posts: 369 | Location: Homer, Alaska | Registered: 04 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BOB KEARNS OF THE HUNTING CONSORTIUM IS A RELIABLE BOOKING AGENT FOR RUSSIA. PROBLEM IS SOME OF THE AREAS HAVE BEEN OVERHARVESTED AND THE NUMBER AND SIZE OF BEARS ARE NOT WHAT THEY USED TO BE. THERE ARE SOME AREAS IN ALASKA WHERE YOU CAN SHOOT A GRIZZLY BUT IT IS REALLY A BROWN BEAR BUT BECAUSE OF THE LINE IT IS CLASSIFIED AS A GRIZZLY FOR A DECENT PRICE. ALSO THERE ARE SOME AREAS THAT THEY ARE GIVING OUT ALOT OF PERMITS TO REDUCE THE POPULATION AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT FOUR YEARS TO HARVEST ANOTHER BEAR. ALL IN ALL SAVE YOUR MONEY TO DO A QUALITY HUNT WITH A QUALITY OUTFITTER RATHER THAN GOING WITH SOMETHING CHEAP OR UNSURE. PLUS IF YOU HUNT IN THE STATES YOU SUPPORT THE USA.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I hunted AK last for BB, got one albeit smaller than I was told we would see. I have researched Russia as I want another BB hunt soon and found it to appear to be a wash cost wise. I'd do AK again as I believe it is a "safer" bet as some of the other post have suggested. You will have no recourse whatsoever IMHO if your hunt goes south over in Russia, in AK I believe you have a better chance of getting it resolved.

We made a mistake in that we tried to do an inexpensive hunt, and got what we paid for, small bears. Do your research, pay the freight and bring home that once in a lifetime (for most people) trophy BB.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Watch out for hidden costs.I guarantee that by the time its all said & done Russia will be more.I know a few people that have went & the end cost was more.Also are you talking coastal bears?

Posts: 20 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Joe,

I didn't make it down to the show this year, too many other things going on, and my boat wasn't ready to take down. I heard attendance was light and the weather kinda rotten. I should make it down next year.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote