Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou Hunting - Unguided
 Login/Join

posted
Considering an unguided Caribou hunt. It appears that opportunities for different herds change from year to year due to weather etc.

Taking a charter out of Kotzebue has been reccomended. Any reccomendations on charter services etc. or other easy areas to access.
Looking at Sept. 2011

Posts: 3 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a charter out of Kotzebue a couple of years ago, and had a good hunt. It was a little slow, but still got nice bulls. I can't remember the name of the company, but the people's name was Matt and his wife Julie. I'm drawing a blank at the moment other than first names.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt is Northern Air Trophy and he comes recommended from me for whatever that is worth.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went up there twice on Caribou and Moose hunts. We did not take a charter. I had a friend that lived in Eagle River, Alaska all his life and we hunted together. He knew the area north of the Noatak very well. We hunted about 140 miles NE of Kotzebue. We never hit the migrating but always got our bulls plus we always got a nice Moose (+60"). It is very tough work up there negotiating the tussocks. Make sure you have very good equipment and are in good physical condition.
Most bush pilots will not fly past Sept 15th that far north.
Good Luck! You will come back a lot lighter.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Luck! You will come back a lot lighter.

Especially if you dont boil your water first. lol
I dont remember who I have used either, but do your homework ahead of time and there is usually resident bulls if the migration hasnt started. I had good luck and great fun going solo, it's all your own hunting then!

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Haviland Air They have scheduled trips to most of the villages.

Posts: 756 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Northwest aviation in 2008. Jim Kincaid placed our party of 4 in a great area. We shot 5 tropy caribou and a 55" moose. Was thinking about going back this year. Lots of fun.

Posts: 38 | Location: Louisiana  | Registered: 30 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 13 caribou out of the Kotz area. You can also take a flight to Kiana. There is a guy there named Lee Stahley. He can put you right on the Squirrel River, or you can rent a boat from him and shoot caribou on the banks of the Kobuk (but you have to know the rules, as past the high water mark the Native Corp owns the land).

I haven't shot a bou in over 10 years, but it was a lot of fun hunting them. Bring good wet weather gear.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Lozano:
Haviland Air They have scheduled trips to most of the villages.

I believe you meant Hageland Air?

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any information that you experienced fellas have on Caribou hunting interests me. How successful is floating for Caribou? Would you spend the money for a moose tag?

If I take a charter out of Kotzebue do you recommend boots or hip waders? I also am considering a trip to Alaska for Caribou this year so I appreciate all thoughts on this subject. I would be taking my 24 year old son and 30 year old son-in-law. There may be a fourth family member coming. I've heard some horror stories of filthy, over-used camps but I've never been there so I don't have any preconcieved ideas.

All your input is appreciated.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Hagland and Baker are the 2 flight services that I know of . Bou out of Otz isn,t like moose out of Anchorage . .Not anywhere near the hunting pressure .. But that is the Arctic and so you want to be prepared . I would go with hippers AND a good pair of 400~800 gr insulater high top leather hunting boots . It is incredible country .
If you see musk ox its best not to get close for that better pic . They can get surly . tho the area isn,t thick ith grizzleys they are around . Wolves also . I would definatly get a wolf tag . be a cryin shame to have a good shot but no tag . Make sure you have plenty of ammo . and I would bring a folding wrist rocket for ptarmigan.

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strapman,

I have always found moose to be in different areas that the best caribou areas around kotz (for example, they might be up in the timberline willows while the caribou are down below. However, I would still get a moose tag. Unless the laws have changed (you need to read all game laws very carefully) you can put that moose tag on a caribou as well. i have never seen a wolf in AK but I did see a wolverine my last trip there.

Not sure what you mean about over used camps. A good pilot can put you down just about anywhere. Find a good flat spot on the Squirrel river north of Kiana and you ought to be up to your eyeballs in caribou.

My favorite way to hunt wet areas is to use bootless hip boots, then get a good quality boot that fits over them. Now you can walk anywhere, have dry feet, and not get blisters.

Another trick: bring your latest breathable rain gear, but wear a non-breathable parka over it. Your sweat will go trough the breathable but condense against the non-breathable. You will be dry and comfortable. Get a -30 synthetic bag. I once spent a week up there in constant rain. Everything was wet; we had standing water in our little three man tent. But I was always warm and dry in my synthetic bag, even if it was wet on the outside.

One last thing: crappy rain gear won't get you killed, but a crappy tent might. Don't skimp on a tent. Get a tent that can take a lot of wind. Get fiberglass poles, not aluminum. I had a tent destroyed once in Nov on the penninsula; had aluminum poles. wind was over 70 miles an hour.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot and AZwriter,
Thanks for the great feedback. I can use all of it. I've hunted a lot of places but never Alaska so I'm all ears. I figure you guys have a lot of practical experience and I can always learn.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few comments about gear.
Hip boots and good hiking boots is good advice.
A very strong tent is also good advice. I would never think of using a tent with fiberglass poles though. You will never see a high end mountaineering tent with that type of poles so that ought to say something. Aluminum is both lighter and stronger than glass.
I get by with a 20 degree down bag through September but everyone sleeps differently. IMO a 0 degree bag would be warm enough.
AZ, standing water inside the tent?? Really??

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strapman:
What ever you do, absolutely don't skimp on "el-cheapo" gear just to save a buck. A top quality tent and synthetic sleeping bag are a must. I have a 3 man, MSR tent and my sleeping bag is an Integral Designs (now defunct). Regardless of where you hunt in Ak., weather dictates your activities and it is possible to be weathered in wherever you are.
You don't indicate how you'd be traveling to get here but if you choose to fly, then I highly recommend you ship most of your gear ahead of time to the flying service. Tents, food, sleeping bags and even camp stoves without fuel. Check with the flying service to be sure you can get fuel in the village. Allow plenty of time for it to arrive to a more remote location. Then, fly up with only your packboard with personal gear and your rifle in a quality hard case. You're further ahead by shipping gear ahead of time.
Good luck. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bear, ya know we got caribou pretty close to the house right now; seasons still open too. I just can't get into shooting caribou this time of year; something doesn't seem right about it.

They saw a few more wolves out this way, close to town. I've been riding snowmachine, looking for tracks; none on my trails within 3-4 miles of the house.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote