New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping moose antlers from AK
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did a moose hunt in AK and shot a moose; my outfitter uses a company called D&C Expediters. When I got back to Anchorage they told me it was $200 to bleach my skull and $135 to ship to Montana. Today I got a bill for $150 for a handling fee, $375 to clean and bleach the skull, and $130.76 to ship to Montana via a container (no complaints with that).

These prices are not was I quoted. Has anyone used a different company? Any recommended taxidermists in AK? I am not doing a shoulder mount (one is enough) and the last time I had a big set of antlers shipped (elk) my taxidermist in ID fit the skull cap with detachable antlers, which then could be put into a cardboard box the size of a wardrobe box and shipped...pretty slick and only cost me $185 including shipping. I want to do something similar with this moose. Any ideas on who to use?

Thanks.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fur and Feather Taxidermy here in Anchorage is great. He has done some work for me and my friends. He has even shipped a black bear rug and a moose (European Mount) for a friend in California. That same friend returned this year and hunted caribou. He is now a repeat customer.
Mike's # is 907 344-8955

I would recommend him as a taxidermist without reservation. He has a very good eye for what he does and is reasonably priced. His work is popular and you will have to wait a bit. There are no 4 month turn arounds.

If anyone is considering hunting in Alaska in the future and taxidermy is required, please contact Mike. I will vouch for his work. There are no hidden fees and no FU charges. I apologize for the bad experience you received from that company.

Sincerely,

Matt M

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
Hi AZ,

I live in Palmer, north of Anchorage. D&C has been around a long time. Im not commenting on the quote vs what you actually paid, but $375 isn't a bad price for having a Euro done here. I know Knights is at $475.00. Many of the taxidermists, myself included, do not do moose euros anymore.

I don't do a lot of expediting, but have crated and shipped many items. Your price of $137.00 for shipping seems really low. I would have guessed it closer to $300 for an entire moose skull.

Again, not commenting on the quote vs what you ended up paying, but $650 for everything inclusive seems like its a reasonable amount given the pricing up here.

If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt:

Thanks; he sounds good. His phone number is 907-345-8955 however.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hughiam:
Hi AZ,

I live in Palmer, north of Anchorage. D&C has been around a long time. Im not commenting on the quote vs what you actually paid, but $375 isn't a bad price for having a Euro done here. I know Knights is at $475.00. Many of the taxidermists, myself included, do not do moose euros anymore.

I don't do a lot of expediting, but have crated and shipped many items. Your price of $137.00 for shipping seems really low. I would have guessed it closer to $300 for an entire moose skull.

Again, not commenting on the quote vs what you ended up paying, but $650 for everything inclusive seems like its a reasonable amount given the pricing up here.

Hugh

Hugh:

The shipping cost is to Butte via a Conex type container, so from there they crate it ($200) and then ship it to the final address.

EDIT: My taxidermist in ID quoted $585 to ship an elk rack from ID to AZ, so that is why I had them detached from the skull cap; the total including shipping was $185. My concern here is that the shipping would be too expensive from Butte (another $500?) but D&C said they get a discount with a shipper and it shouldn't be more than 300 max.

So I will have them keep the antlers on, do a Euro, and ship it whole. I am happy with the solution they came up with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Sept. 2015 I brought my moose antlers, 65#'s of meat plus the cape back on my Delta flight. From Anc. to Mpls. Intl. Airport. Cost
me $250 in extra shipping. The guide said he has tracked all the major shippers and expeditors and has determined that its best to take it back with you ON you airplane - if at all possible.
The nice thing is you know its with you when you to your destination.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got it worked out with D&C; the $200 quote was the fee for cleaning the skull, not for bleaching it. They waived the $150 fee since they didn't tell me about it. Their fee for detaching the antlers was really reasonable, but since they get a discount on shipping, I will keep it whole and have it crated.

All in all, we got it worked out and I am happy.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it. Sean at D&C did right be me for my brown bear skull and skin. I would use them again.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hughiam:
Hi AZ,

Hugh

Agree with all of this.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote