New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a lefty grandson
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a real problem for a guy with a whole safe full of rifles and surely no lefty bolt rifles. My grandson has been shooting for a year(just turned 5 so started early), but is definitely lefty. A real problem for rifles, I have plenty of double and O/U shotguns that will work. Should I just make him reach over the top? By the way, I thought this forum was for supporters of Hillary, or I would have asked sooner.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First, determine his dominant eye; if he is left eye dominant then, for optimal comfort, let him shoot a lefthand bolt-action.

Savage, CZ, and Anschutz all make LH .22LRs, although the stocks may require shortening.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am sure most of us LH shooters grew up shooting RH rifles. It was never a problem for me. Once I got older I chose to switch to all LH rifles and have never looked back. I will say however that there are a lot of guys who still shoot RH rifles from the LH side that they are quite proficient with them. My only advice is that you need to be consistent with the action so the boy can learn to shoot. When I borrow a RH rifle, after shooting I reach for the bolt on the LH side of the action...not a good thing if a quick follow-up shot is necessary.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it was my grandson my biggest conern would be safety! RH bolts shooting LH leave your right eye exposed to the gas relief on RH rifles.

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
A Contender Carbine in 22LR makes a good first gun for a righty or lefty. Youth sized stocks are available also.
http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/index.cfm

Larger caliber barrels for varmints or big game can be added as he grows.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Absolutely determine the dominant eye. The single shots are great starter guns and relatively inexpensive. He's only 5 so you have some time to start accumulating left handed rifles. I had the opposite problem, a safe full of lefthanded guns and three daughters all right handed.

I wound up buying a few right handed guns ("for the kids") and now have 4. Since I can shoot with either hand it just gave me more toys to play with.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check his dominate eye every once in a while. I've seen small kids change eye dominance. I second the contender carbine idea.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Greg K has a great idea. I've been doing this since my first grandson was ready to shoot 15 years ago. His Contender has barrels in .22LR, .17 HMR, .223, and 7-30 Waters. He's 21 now and still loves the rifle...even with its continuous stock lengthening. His younger brothers are now going through the same series.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I had the opposite problem, a safe full of lefthanded guns and three daughters all right handed.

Adopt me!! I'll use the lefties!

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might consider buying an NEF for the first few years... The triggers are admittedly a bit coarse, but there is information out there that will allow you to correct that yourself, and there are a lot of caliber choices... The stocks are straight so there is no cheekpiece to deal with, and the rifles are surprisingly accurate. A pretty decent rifle for the initial outlay, and they offer the opportunity to add to the "stable" for less than a C-note per caliber.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote