Find
Notify
Tools

Left Bolts w/Right Ports
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys,

I just saw a photo of a lefty Remington 788...I didn't realize that they kept the port on the right hand side when making the left hand version. I know there are some that say that this might be a bad orientation for safety reasons, but it appeals to me for a few different reasons.

Does anyone know of ANY other rifle or action, factory or custom, that has this set up?

Posts: 215 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: 14 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Yep! I took a Savage Striker with left bolt, right port, and made it into a great varmint rifle. Got several barrels for it already, and two more on the way. I can work the bolt with my left hand and load with my right. When those prairie dogs attack, ya gotta move swiftly!
Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Right, my 6mm 788 works great for PD's very fast reload time

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who shoots benchrest told me that many of the BR actions can be ordered like that (BAT machine?).

Appeals to me, too. BR rifles are pretty expensive, though.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242,

I took a look at that striker, and it's about perfect for what I want to do; thanks for the info!

Was it much of an issue neggotiating the "mid-trigger" when doing the conversion? What barrels do you/will you have?

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Got a trigger from SSS. Sent them the action and had them install it. I've got .22BR 14"twist, .22-250 12" twist, .243 10"twist, and .243 8"twist (just in) barrels. Am having a 6mm-.284 bbl w/8"twist made. Have ideas for several more, but will take awhile to decide which.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, good to know that the Sharp Shooter trigger can go in. Did you get that .22BR to feed?

I recently got access to a nice 1000yd range so I'm thinking about doing mine in a fast twist 260 Rem.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've epoxied a single-shot follower in the magazine space, both to ease feeding and to stiffen the action. Since its a varminter, I didn't see the need for the magazine. I can also seat bullets waaaay out and not worry about length. The other think I did was get a one-piece base and epoxy it, as well as use the normal screws, to the top of the receiver. Oh, and I lapped the base to the receiver at a slight angle to get additional elevation for this long ranger.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The third one from the left is my 788. As you can see the bolts on the left and there's no port there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I found a LB/RP action for this project:

http://www.auctionarms.com/Closed/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=7825444.0

The first challange will be finding or making a stock to accomodate a left bolt/right port without settling for an end product that has an extra bolt handle slot or port cutout on the un-used side. I wonder if there exist stocks that are inletted for say a Rem long action, but that's it... no bolt slots or ejection cuts (to be done by customer)?

one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan, Lone Wolf and I'm sure many other stock makers will make you what you want.

As to the LB/RP question, one of my Nesika Bay's and my BAT action are both left bolt/right port. I'm sure Stolle, Hall, Stiller, Borden and a few other BR actions can be had in the same configuration.

-Rick

Unbiased AR-15 / BAT / Barnard / Borden / Marsh / Kelbly's / Remington / Ruger/ Ultra Light Arms / Savage owner. I like 'em all.

Posts: 57 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
Nice Battery!!!! It does my heart good to see all those lefties, I only have 6

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote