THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left handed Sako AV in 375 H&H

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left handed Sako AV in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I just saw this Ad on another forum. What do you guys think of the deal?

Left handed Sako AV 375 H&H bolt action, 24 inch barrel with Holland short magnum muzzle brake. Imported by Stoeger. Comes with detachable Sako diopter (peep) sight with 100/200 yard adjustments and Sako rings.

Back of cheek piece has some minor scratches from banging around safe. Has two screw holes at back of barrel professionally filled.

$900

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one a few years ago. It had Talley rings and a VIII Leupold scope. Very nice conditon, beautiful stock. Paid $1,200.00

Great rifle, shoots and handles wonderfully.

I have no regrets.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the same/similar. Was my first .375. Would shoot right at 1" to 1.25" without any modifications. Surprisingly less felt recoil than I had expected. Not sure why the muzzle brake on this one.

If you're looking for a shooter, I would say "Go for it...'

Posts: 61 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm still on the fence on this one. It is a funny looking muzzle brake.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Sako AV 7 Rem.mag. In a Mcmillan stock.

The good.
Very well built. The metal quality, finish, smoothness, tight tolerances, accuracy, extraction and stock dimensions are exceptional. The price should be around $1,200-1,500 without scope.

The bad.
I installed a muzzle brake on mine back in 1990. A big mistake. It tamed the recoil and rise but at a permanent loss of hearing in my right ear. My left ear was protected inadvertedly due to the cheek piece buffering the blast. If you buy the rifle, chop the muzzlebrake off, recrown. There is plenty of barrel length.

The action is prone to nasty double feeds. if you manipulate the bolt fast, and I don't mean short stroking. The only way I would buy an AV action again would be in a .22-250 for varmints or punching paper. Definitely not in .375H&H for dangerous game. There are better options.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I sold one years ago; it was a fine gun (very accurate), but I'd bought a LH M70 .375 and didn't need it.

If you buy it, take the brake off and use it with a suppressor from Elite Iron, CheyTac, or Desert Tech. Big Grin

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys, I think that I'll pass on it. I really like my M70 better.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
... A big mistake. It tamed the recoil and rise but at a permanent loss of hearing in my right ear. ... If you buy the rifle, chop the muzzlebrake off, recrown. ...

Strongly agree. I will not go into the gory details. However,I also have about 10% additional hearing loss in my left ear due to one pull of the trigger on a rifle with a muzzle brake and no hearing protection. Never again will I own a rifle with a muzzle brake...

Posts: 61 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 29 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I have one..

No Brake, but have a recoil reducer in the stock. one of the most accurate rifles I own.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote