New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gotta love pawn shops
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gotta love pawn shops. Found a LH Rem. 700 BDL in 270 sitting in the corner and not on the gun rack. I asked the guy behind the counter about it and he had taken it in awhile back and that the guy defaulted on it. The salesman told me that the gun's safey was stuck on fire and that when the action was worked it wouldn't fire by pulling the trigger and worst that it was left handed. He said it was not the first time he had gotten stuck by a bad gun by not looking at it close enough.
I looked the rifle over; no rust spots, bluing in good shape, bore was dirty but no pits, wood in what I would say better than average condition.
I offered him $200 for it and after alttle haggling and informing him that its hard enough to sale a left handed gun let alone one that was broke. I got it for $225 out the door.
I got it home today, and immediately broke it down. There was what looked like laquer all over the action from (who knows what type of oil this guy used). I then using 0000 steel wool and cleaning oil cleaned all the disassembled parts and reassembled. The bolt was taken apart and again this laquer type substance was gumming up the firing pin, again this was cleaned off reoiled and reassembled. The action was placed back in and the gun function perfectly, safety easy to operate and gun goes click at the squeeze of the trigger. Haven't shot it yet, maybe this weekend.
No need for a 270, thinking of simple rebarrel to 338-06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Craig:
Gotta love pawn shops. Found a LH Rem. 700 BDL in 270 sitting in the corner and not on the gun rack. I asked the guy behind the counter about it and he had taken it in awhile back and that the guy defaulted on it. The salesman told me that the gun's safey was stuck on fire and that when the action was worked it wouldn't fire by pulling the trigger and worst that it was left handed. He said it was not the first time he had gotten stuck by a bad gun by not looking at it close enough.
I looked the rifle over; no rust spots, bluing in good shape, bore was dirty but no pits, wood in what I would say better than average condition.
I offered him $200 for it and after alttle haggling and informing him that its hard enough to sale a left handed gun let alone one that was broke. I got it for $225 out the door.
I got it home today, and immediately broke it down. There was what looked like laquer all over the action from (who knows what type of oil this guy used). I then using 0000 steel wool and cleaning oil cleaned all the disassembled parts and reassembled. The bolt was taken apart and again this laquer type substance was gumming up the firing pin, again this was cleaned off reoiled and reassembled. The action was placed back in and the gun function perfectly, safety easy to operate and gun goes click at the squeeze of the trigger. Haven't shot it yet, maybe this weekend.
No need for a 270, thinking of simple rebarrel to 338-06.

Congradulations. It sounds like you got a great buy.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, nice job. Even I'd consider a Rem at that price. Wink

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nice job now the rifle can be appreciated unlike previous owner

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've never found a deal in a pawn shop. LH rifles are promoted as 'rare', even when they are .270s or .30-06s.

We bought a LNIB LH Rem. 700BDL .308 for $150 once. Now, that was a a good deal!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, where I live it is pretty much rural and left handed guns are almost non-existant as are shooters for them. Its not often when you see one, and when you do you can always make a better deal on it than a right hand gun.
As far as pawn shops I have made some great finds and deals. A couple of examples; couple of years ago I bought a Steyr Scout .376 Jeff Cooper model with all accs. for $1050 out the door (I know right handed but I was taught right handed shooting by my father, hate to make the statement that I can go both ways Smiler). A Colt New Service "Shooting Master" .45 LC 6" in really great shape 95% or better for $350 and tax.
Guess maybe the pawn shops in your area must really get the traffic.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i got a 338win mag m70 controlled feed for $400...previous owner won it in a drawing.. traded it in for a POS 98 mauser hacked-up rebarreled 270, 'cause it "kicked to much"....i got a hard plastic case and 16 loaded rounds to boot...also bought a 95% baby browning for $165....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many guns are out there that "don't work" requiring only a simple cleaning like that to function correctly? Nice find - and a helluva deal, even if you just use it for the action.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote