THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Side charging AR a better choice for lefties suppressed?

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side charging AR a better choice for lefties suppressed?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m not sure I will get a lot of responses here since most of the discussion is about hunting rifles, but I figured I would start here.

I shoot a lot of 300 Blackout thru a suppressed AR, and the silencer causes increased back pressure and subsequently gas leaks out of the charging handle opening. Even with safety glasses it’s not very pleasant. I’m wondering if switching to a side charging upper might not be a worthwhile investment for keeping some of the gas out of my eyes? Does anyone have experience with side-charging guns?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 108 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Geissele airborne charging handle.

There are other charging handles made for suppressor use.

https://silencerco.com/silence...ing-charging-handle/

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of urbaneruralite
posted Hide Post
Try an adjustable gas block

Posts: 57 | Location: SE, US | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I've never thought of that. I'm about to suppress an AR also I'll have to look into that.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An adjustable gas block is a must for shooting an AR suppressed. With my new POF Renegade (.308) I get some slight gas in the face (right cheek). I'm going to try one of the Radians charging handles and see if that helps.

Posts: 487 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The other reason to use the adjustable gas block is to help minimize "chamber pop" from the direct impingement system.

It's somewhat difficult to tame the noise on an AR. You have both the muzzle blast, and the redirected gas that cycles the action. It's sort of a balancing act to find a happy place.

The other thing you'll find out is a suppressed AR is incredibly dirty. Load a 10 rd mag and shoot 5 rounds, look at how dirty the remaining rounds are from all the gas blowback.

I have an AR-.308 with a 16.5" barrel, Dead Air Nomad-30 with enhanced ebrake. It's hearing safe enough for hunting, but not necessarily for moderate bench plinking.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know this thread has gone stale, but another option to consider is a free-flow suppressor such as Huxwrx Flow 7.62

I might look at trading out my Nomad to one of these after I read some more reviews.