Tools

Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It's a vicious circle, Jeff.

The big gunmakers do not offer more than a handful of chamberings because they don't see a large market for the more 'exotic' offerings (.375, .416, .458, et al.). They stick with pedestrian chamberings like the .270, .30-06, 7mmRemMag, and .300 WinMag.

Resourceful lefties buy these pedestrian chamberings to convert to said 'exotic' cartridges.

The big gunmakers, having sold a bunch of LH .270s, .30-06s, 7mmRemMags, and .300 WinMags feel their decisions are vindicated.

Had Winchester offered a .416 Remington and/or a .458 WinMag (not as $3000 Custom Shop products, but as standard production), I would have bought them.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I'm with you both on the big mfgs. I would have loved a .416 on a model 70, but, alas, "wish in one hand and ---- in the other."

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting right handed actions for so long I think that a left handed bolt action would feel akward & clumsy to me.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hvy barrel,

It would only be 'clumsy' in the beginning. Everything is in a more 'natural' location for you on a LH action.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another reason to save winchester.

FREEDOM OVER FEAR!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning used to make the prettiest little Micro Medallion in 257 Roberts, and I think it was available LH. You might check around.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I built a left handed Montana Rifle Co. short action into a 6.5x284. The next bolt gun that I build will be on a LH MRC long action in 40+ caliber.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a really really pretty factory LH Sako .416 Remington Magnum. Not exactly sure when the original owner bought it .. Maybe 15 years ago. He had inscribed on the floor plate MOAG ... which he assured me meant Mother of a Gun. It is the second one that I have owned. The first one helped me kill a jumbo, lioness, kudu or two .. even a reed buck back in the Matetsi in '94. (Sheesh .. but time flies ... ) Eeker

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fjold... how did that MRC action work up? Did you have to spend a lot of time and $$'s before barreling? I've got a LH SA with a mag bolt face and am thinking of a 6.5x300WSM and am trying to get a good feel for how much I'll need to invest. thanks

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Mine worked out great. I bought the stainless action and my smith blueprinted it and thought that it was one of the straightest actions he'd ever built. He barely touched the front ring and the bolt face and they were perfectly flat. The back ring was just a touch out of line and he took a couple of thousandths off the inside top to get the bolt cycling smoothly. There was a small high spot under the right locking lug but it lapped flat in a couple of minutes. The rails were very rough but they smoothed out pretty quickly when I cycled the action in front of the TV for a couple of hours.

The action above the midpoint was polished pretty well and the bottom was rougher. I put a Krieger #5 barrel on mine and had the whole barrelled action bead blasted so I wasn't worried about the finish that much.

Two weeks ago I shot it at 400 yards and my first group went into 2.7". I'm pretty pleased.

Cost wise the action work was the same as on a RemChester

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a [one of the first!] [Ser# 038]Montana lefty actions for sale if anyone wants it. Nice rig but just too many irons in the fire and old age creeping up.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add. Medium length for the 6.5/284 and such.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bohica:
I have a [one of the first!] [Ser# 038]Montana lefty actions for sale if anyone wants it. Nice rig but just too many irons in the fire and old age creeping up.

Aloha, Mark

Mine's Serial No. 000X thumb

Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
When you shoot left-handed with a 12 1/4" LOP, there is no such thing as a factory/off-the-shelf/out-of-the-box gun!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote