Find
Notify
Tools

CZ here in Reno
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Yesterday at SCI I went by the CZ booth to heckle them about not having anu LH offerings and to my suprise I handled a 550 in .375 H&H!

The rep said it was brand new and us Lefties should expect more.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Did you ask for an idea of when they're going to release them into the distribution stream?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Holy cow! This is pretty big news if they're serious. We're gonna need more details than that...

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Your killin' us here Scott!!!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The indication I got from the rep was immediate release in of course limited numbers.

I won't be pursuing one as I have two .375's at this time but I was under the impression that I could immediately buy one thru Great Northern Guns in Anchorage AK since thats where I indicated to the rep I was generally from.

He did mention that the .375 was the only cartridge available now, but the hope was for further diversified offerings.

I'll go back over tomorrow and inquire further.

Please forgive me for mentioning the obvious but I'd guess the most effective method of buying one at this point would be to heckle your retailer or wholesaler.

Very sorry I haven't been as enlightening as I should have. I promise to try to make up for it tomorrow evening.

Posts: 9474 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Scott.

Overall good news, especially at the thought of other chamberings.

Bring on the LH CZ Lott dancing.......................I guess I/we can hope

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

If your going back tomorrow, ask about other calibers..
Especially, the 404 Jeff...

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Ok, just talked with the lady at the CZ booth.

There are 20 LH 550 .375H&H rifles at their place in Kansas City. When those are all sold or nearly so they will order more and continue to do so. She said they are waiting to see how sales are for the new LH offering. I suggested that it might be possible that larger quantities would be available if sales were good and she agreed.

No other calibers will be available this year. CZ will be waiting to see sales for this model before considering additions.

The lady advised me that the best way to purchase one would be thru the normal ordering chanels using retailers and wholesalers.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....I suppose if you didn't want to wait, you could rebarrel the 375 to your choice of DG calibers. I might have to start pestering my local gun shop...

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They only had 20 made? Really going out on a limb there. Once they are gone I bet it will be next year when we see more.

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
Hmmm....I suppose if you didn't want to wait, you could rebarrel the 375 to your choice of DG calibers. I might have to start pestering my local gun shop...

Agreed! I don't much care what the original configuration is in. Once we possess the LH CRF magnum length action we're free to customize as we see fit.

Montana Rifle Co seems to have neatly filled the bill but I suppose its nice to have options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yummy! That is great news for us southpaws.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Did they look just like the RH version? In other words, they are 550s in every way except LH?

How was the quality? and handling? same barrel as the RH?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Was this rifle on the Mag action or the standard action. In short can the action handle the 460 Weatherby, 416 Rigby...and so on? Since they have not offered much for the lefties I guess I don't know much about what they make!

Good news though...I bet they sell these 20 very quick!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the one I saw was a 375H&H, $1400 retail. $300 premium over the righthander. The gunsmith who does the customs here says A-N-Y caliber if you don't mind the custom version with the gorgeous wood, and extras for about $2500-$3000. Crossbolts, barrel band sling swivel, etc.

It was really nice to actually see one, and know they are coming as the market supports them by sales. This was the 550 Safari Magnum action, anything thru 505 Gibbs. They also had one in 450 Rigby, new caliber. Sweet rifle.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Of course it's possible I missed something, but I understood the LH version to only be available in .375. I only saw the one rifle in the booth.

Yes, the LH version seemed to be an exact copy of the RH. Ok, well a very close copy. The bolt on the LH was on the LH side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sweet

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
the one I saw was a 375H&H, $1400 retail. $300 premium over the righthander.

Some day before I die my dream is to support a company that produces LH rifles and charges a $300 premium for RH guns! Big Grin

We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was really hoping they would begin producing .30-06 length actions in left hand.

I would like a 9.3x62 or 9.3x64.

Obviously they could be made to fit the magnum LH action, just change out the magnum magazine 'innards'/ use magazine spacers to reduce the internal length.

Of course the action length / hole spacing would not change. Maybe I should consider a .350 Rigby instead of a 9.3x??

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Those manning the booth told me that more calibers would be available in the future, however the .375 was all for now.

They thought it would be calibers that easily fit into a .375 H&H length action. there would be problems with the 416 Rigby and that class according to what I was told, but those were not out of the question.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good News, indeed!

My preference would be the 416 Rigby but if someone put a L/H CZ 550 in 404 Jeffery in my hands I'm sure a deal could be immediately consumated.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
The 404 Jeffery would also be high on my list.

Even though I already have enough rifles. lol

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Short of me doing a search, which I dont have time for. But in regards to reliability, how would the CZ compare to the Ruger? (as bone stock, and also for whats available for after market items) I'm not trying to get into any type of bashing, I only want to know peoples views on the reliability betwixt the two.

Seeing as the CZ was a pipe dream prior to this month, I havent looked into them a whole lot.

Rod

Bob Hagel

posted Hide Post
The CZ 550 can hold five .375H&H rounds in its magazine, and one in the chamber. The Ruger cannot.

The CZ 550 receiver is forged; the Ruger is investment cast.

The CZ 550 is a Mauser-type action - it has the "C"-ring collar, with the right side of the collar slotted for the extractor.
When the bolt is closed the nose of the bolt fits inside the collar, flat against the end of the chamber, with the cartridge enclosed in barrel steel right up to its extraction groove. Unlike the M-98, there is no thumb slot for loading from a clip, and the slot on the bolt face for the ejector is below the left locking lug.

The Ruger is different.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you imagine sales will be, George?

posted Hide Post
Brisk at first (assuming they make it into the distribution pipeline in our lifetime), but I think they may never offer .416s, .458s, or .505s, as the market for those is infinitesimal compared to even the market for .375s.

Although I already have a .375 and .470 Capstick on LH M-70s (with a .458AR M-70 on the drawing board), I would not be averse to buying a couple of .375s just to hold in reserve.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my order is being filled

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll wait for a 40+ caliber as I still have that hole to fill in my battery.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I would love a 404 or 9.3* anything.

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If anyone has a suggestion on how to order one of these and approximate price I am all eyes and ears.
I would love to add one to the arsenal. Would be a nice companion to my 375 Ruger and my 375 Wby.
Any 375 that can hold five down is Aces in my bookSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I second that where can we order one from ?

BTH

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
If anyone has a suggestion on how to order one of these and approximate price I am all eyes and ears.
I would love to add one to the arsenal. Would be a nice companion to my 375 Ruger and my 375 Wby.
Any 375 that can hold five down is Aces in my bookSmiler

Snow, I was under the impression that in your case you could just get Boondocks or Great Northen Guns to order one thru their wholesaler for you.

The lady told me they were available from their distribution warehouse or whatever they have in Kansas City.

One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
Thought everyone would find this interesting! Spoke with CZ USA this morning, the retail price for the 550LH is $1799.99 in 375 H&H item number 04220. Called my local Gander Mt. store to get a price? They just called $1999.99. I told them to forget it and thanks anyway.

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Same thing here on pricing, dealer cost is over $1600.00. A little markup and add tax retail will be $2000.00. Is it worth that much?

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Ok, just talked with the lady at the CZ booth.

There are 20 LH 550 .375H&H rifles at their place in Kansas City. When those are all sold or nearly so they will order more and continue to do so. She said they are waiting to see how sales are for the new LH offering. I suggested that it might be possible that larger quantities would be available if sales were good and she agreed.

No other calibers will be available this year. CZ will be waiting to see sales for this model before considering additions.

The lady advised me that the best way to purchase one would be thru the normal ordering chanels using retailers and wholesalers.

Did CZ say they were gauging interest in these rifles or gouging the LH shooters of the world. I guess they think that Lefties are wealthy and desperate!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information but at $1,600 I pass.
$1,000 or maybe even $1,100 and I would buy one. But for $1,600 or more, well, they are nuts, lol.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
first 20 went for $1400

One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
I agree with Snowwolfe $1100.00 would be ok but the guy a Gander Mt. tried to tell me his cost was 1400.00. So who thinks we rich lefthanders can afford so much for a $900.00 rifle? CZ or the retailer. Years ago I worked in retail but never with guns. From my experience with buying other new to market LH rifles this seems? Well opinions welcome.

One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
Today at around noon 19 were still availible and at the CZ in Missouri. But maybe the other 19 have sold by now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1400 to 1900? Big swing in prices there. The 375 Ruger is looking like a better deal. What is the retail cost of a right handed CZ?

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote