Find
Notify
Tools

How to sell a leftie gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Howdy,

I have never sold a used firearm before but I would like to sell one now. It is a Weatherby Mark V synthetic stocked, chambered in .416 Weatherby. Has a muzzle break and includes a Ziess variable illuminated dot scope (1.5-6). The rifle is about four years old and very clean. I do not know the legal processes, if any, to complete this transaction. There is also two boxes of ammo included in the sale. Any help or even interested parties are greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you just posted an ad for it! easy as that.

You can ship it to a FFL dealer that the buyer chooses. There is also a classified section on this site.

Or, if that doesn't work, post an ad on Gunsamerica.com

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you're considering selling it over the internet, photos will help a lot. Take some full-length photos (one of each side), plus close-ups of the muzzle, crown, stock, action, etc.

Tell folks how well the gun shoots in your hands, and specify whether that was factory ammunition, handloads, or both. If the gun has a marked preference for bullets of a type or weight, say so. A .416 that shoots Interlocks well, but not Partitions or A-Frames isn't worth much to the DG hunter, but may be what a deer hunter wants to hear.

As far as the transfer, you can ship it across state lines directly to an FFL dealer (not an '06' FFL (Curios & Relics)). Some FFL dealers insist on conditions that are not required by law (requiring a copy of your driver's license, or insisting the gun be shipped by an FFL, etc.). They have a right to run their business any way they want to, but you have a right not to do business with them.

If the buyer is a Texas resident, you may be able to ship it directly to them (some states permit this).

As in any transaction, a reasonable asking price is the best attractant.

I'd sell the Zeiss separately; you'd get more for it that way.

Because of the paucity of left-hand guns, I allow folks to post ads for them in this forum, in lieu of, or in addition to the Classifieds forum, so have at it. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try and get some pics posted. It has only had Weatherby factory ammo shot through it and it does shoot well. I do not know if a handload of some sort would make it perform better. I will try and get some pics so I can post them. I was thinking I wanted to sell the whole thing (scope, rifle, and ammo) for $2,500. I am more interested in selling quick than making the most money as I am looking to move up to a Heym. If this goes well I may also sell my LH .458 Lott.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, tell us about your Lott.....

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .458 Lott was built by Briley Man. here in Houston. It is a very plain tan synthetic stock type DG rifle. The action is a modified Remington action. It is not pretty but is more accurate than a DG rifle needs to be. It only has open sights but has killed many buffalo with no failures in operation.

posted Hide Post
Let me know if you need assistance posting pics.

I'm still hoping to see pics of the lion you said you shot in Zimbabwe last October.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a picture of the lion in the Hunt Reports section under the title "Tracked to Death". Send me your e-mail address and I might be able to flick a couple more to you.

Thanks

posted Hide Post
I just read that report. Very nice! I hunted in the Save Valley a few years back and remember how rich in game it was.

George

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Hmm...lemme see some pics of that Weatherby! Big Grin Is it a US made gun, or one of the Japanese MKV's?

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's the best way to sell it,PM me and tell me only a couple hundred for it. it will sell fast and easy.

Posts: 181 | Location: virginia,usa | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may be interested in either the 416 weatherby or the 458 lott. Can you post some photos. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys. Left for three days. Will work on pics ASAP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys,

.416 is gone now. STill trying to decide on whether I should get rid of the .458.