THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    New Idea: Distributor Exclusive Ruger Rifle for Leftys
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Idea: Distributor Exclusive Ruger Rifle for Leftys
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I'm ready. It would be a great christmas present to myself.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
He did say that Ruger told him that the metal finish would be a matte blue finish rather than gloss blue.

If this is the same Hawkeye Matte finish that comes on the African models, then I would consider that a plus. It is a nice, rugged finish that has very little shine. Looks very similiar to a nice parkerized finish to me.

Will you be emailing a notice to folks who emailed you before about this rifle or do we need to watch this thread?

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have all the emails saved in a file. I will send a bulk announcement as soon as I get a green light.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Add me to your list.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
vol,
Check your email.
Cliff

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point Cliff. I must have an email address if you want on the list. Send yours to
allanmckinney@msn.com

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a status report. I talked to Ruger's VP of sales just after Jan 1. He says that the only hangup to doing the 6.5X55 is that it's a long action and they don't have an off-the-shelf barrel in that caliber. He said it is doable and that it will happen. He just doesn't know exactly when. I'll keep bugging Lipsey's also. I told my salesman the other day that I thought the total of left hand guns that I could get pre-orders for would be around 100 guns. That perked him up a little.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Allan.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Vol,
Are there any updates on this?

Email sent.

Bryan

Posts: 4 | Location: SW Alaska | Registered: 18 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:
If you want a .416, just buy a lefty .375 and a RH .416 and switch barrels, then sell the RH .375.

The extractor cut (if there is one on a Ruger) would be on opposite sides. That is why we cannot do this with RH M-70 takeoffs.

George

Off topic, but sure you can. The barrel is just upside down.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

That's not only off topic but out in left field! I'm sure it was meant in jest. What would we do without a little humor to lighten the conversation? There is no extractor cut on the Ruger. I have switched barrels of four of these guns with right hand .416 guns and they all work like a charm. All you need are finish reamers for both calibers and a single headspace gauge.. and some gunsmithing skills and common sense.

..Back to the special order guns: I have been in contact with Jason Cloessner at Lipsey's. He's the fellow who will have to work with Ruger to make the special order happen. Lipsey's is willing to place the order if Ruger will commit to do it. If I had some help pushing Lipsey's and Ruger to do this, they might wake up and get moving. Lipsey's has just launched a new website for non-dealers and Jason can be contacted through that site. Also I still think you can send messages to the Ruger President through their website. Feel free to join to campaign to get this nice run going. You know what they say about the squeaking wheel getting greased! And come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to see the Ruger African lefty made in 9,3X62?

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldn't it be nice to see the Ruger African lefty made in 9,3X62?

Extremely!

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chuck,

That's not only off topic but out in left field! I'm sure it was meant in jest. What would we do without a little humor to lighten the conversation? There is no extractor cut on the Ruger. I have switched barrels of four of these guns with right hand .416 guns and they all work like a charm. All you need are finish reamers for both calibers and a single headspace gauge.. and some gunsmithing skills and common sense.

..Back to the special order guns: I have been in contact with Jason Cloessner at Lipsey's. He's the fellow who will have to work with Ruger to make the special order happen. Lipsey's is willing to place the order if Ruger will commit to do it. If I had some help pushing Lipsey's and Ruger to do this, they might wake up and get moving. Lipsey's has just launched a new website for non-dealers and Jason can be contacted through that site. Also I still think you can send messages to the Ruger President through their website. Feel free to join to campaign to get this nice run going. You know what they say about the squeaking wheel getting greased! And come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to see the Ruger African lefty made in 9,3X62?

I'm speaking of the Model 70 and the comment that you can't use RH takeoffs for them. Sure you can I've done it.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Is this project still in the works or is it officially dead?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bug Jason at Lipsey's one more time. After that I'll go to another distributor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Lipseys today about the special order. It is a "go" according to Leon Lemoine and Jason Cloessner from Lipseys. They are canvassing dealers who have expressed interest in the special order. To remind folks, this is a left and right hand, blued M77 Hawkeye with 20 inch barrel, iron sights and walnut stock chambered in 6.5 X 55 Swedish. No other calibers or configurations will be ordered. Lipseys is ordering right hand guns except those that are placed as an advance order as left hand guns. They could not give me a precise price at this juncture, but they indicated that my price will be in the $625 to $650 area. I will now take advance orders on this special run at a price of $50 profit per gun, plus actual UPS shipping costs from Lipsey's to me ($17) and shipping costs from me to your dealer(about $25). At my cost of $650 that will make the total to you $742. You are getting the benefit of the reduced cost for prepaid advanced orders in order that I can induce Ruger to produce the left hand version. Here's the rub: Now that Ruger has the production space, Lipseys wants to place the order as soon as possible. If you want to take advantage of the preorder discount, I must have the funds in hand no later than July 31. You may contact me by email at allanmckinney@msn.com or by phone at 423 262 9394. My business is Spring Run Enterprises, 1240 Foxford Road, Greeneville, TN 37743. My FFL number is 1-62....03337. You can verify the FFL through FFL EZ check (Google it), and you can contact Jason Cloessner through the Lipsey's public website if you'd like to validate the order. If you want a gun, I'd like to know by July 10. I'll add your order to the count to give Lipseys an idea of the total they can expect me to order. Please email me with the order as soon as possible and follow it up with funds not later than July 31. Also give me an address and phone number. I'll set up a special email list of people who have placed advanced orders so that I can inform everyone of what is going on with the special order. At one time I had a list of over 50 people who wanted these guns. Now is the time to make this order a reality. I will be taking preorders on both left and right hand guns. Please don't PM me or post an order here. Send an email to allanmckinney@msn.com

Allan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A status update: At this juncture I have 11 people who have committed to buying at least one of the left hand 6.5X55 rifles. A year ago I had a list of over 50 people who expressed an interest in the guns. I don't know if this will be a sufficient number, in addition to the ones that another dealer and I will commit to, to make the left hand guns a reality. Lipseys will go ahead with the right hand guns irregardless. If you want a rare special order left hand guns at a bargain price, now is the time to speak up. The ones that I and other dealers will buy will not be sold at this low price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just heard from Lipseys/Ruger that the main problem with the order is the 20 inch barrel with sights. Now they tell me that Ruger's production schedule is committed for the next 6 months. I am cancelling the group buy and I will pursue ordering the guns on my own. When they are in hand I will advertise them for sale, probably in 2012. I plan on ordering blued steel,left and right hand rifles with 22 inch barrels, no sights, with a walnut stock.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Allan

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
rifles with 22 inch barrels, no sights.

That sounds a little better, that might pique folks' interest a little more.

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote