THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    New Idea: Distributor Exclusive Ruger Rifle for Leftys
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Idea: Distributor Exclusive Ruger Rifle for Leftys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 Ruger and/or 338-06 and I'm in!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
416 Ruger and/or 338-06 and I'm in!

right now I'm having three of the .375s switched with RH .416 barrels. Get in on the action now and you can save the cost of the reamers and gauges by sharing with the other three.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be all over a 9.3X62.

Posts: 38 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huntr7X57:
I would be all over a 9.3X62.

X a GIANT 2

Rod

--------------------------------
"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be fairly easy to buy a standard left hand 30/06 stainless/laminated and rebarrel it to 9.3X62. No magazine, bolt face or feeding issues would have to be dealt with.

I thought about going that route but the .375 Ruger will outdo the 9.3 for dangerous game.

I recently bought a left hand Merkel KR1 with a .270 and a 9.3X62 barrel. One sweet rifle, but I wouldn't want to drag it through the nasty stuff out west. I'll keep my Ruger stainless/laminated guns for that.

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Necro-posting, I know. But, I'd still like to see a Ruger lefty in just about any .4...16,04,58.
In fact, a SS/grey laminate 23" .458 with factory irons and a barrel band would be interesting sold.

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want that LH .416, just buy one of my LH stainless.375s and I'll sell you a RH stainless .416 at cost (about $725). I'll send both to the gunsmith that's doing the switch and you'll wind up with a LH .416 and a RH .375, both stainless. You can sell the RH .375 easily to recover the cost of the RH gun. The gunsmith's bill will be less than $300.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could count me in for a .260 Rem., .257 roberts, .416 Rem or .458 Lott. I guess I'm just a slut. Wink

BTW: I bought a new Ruger .270 SS/Lam from Vol717. Two thumbs up and recommend doing business with him without reservation!!!

Posts: 506 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
Vol,
Your swap option is not a bad deal per se, but I'd be lots more interested in a factory rifle with factory warranty and a single phone call and transfer fee.
Nonetheless, I appreciate the offer. thumb

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowwolfe,

i think the only thing that may match ruger's mistake in not publicizing the 375 LH Alaskan is CZ's decision to price the LH 550 in 375 at double the cost of the RH model.

If they priced them accordingly, they'd sell their entire inventory.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you seen the new 300 RCM and 338 RCM left hand guns? They are blued with walnut stocks and have 20 inch barrels with iron sights. I'm pretty sure I could get a run of 250 of that configuration with a 6.5X55 or .260 barrel.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Have you seen the new 300 RCM and 338 RCM left hand guns? They are blued with walnut stocks and have 20 inch barrels with iron sights. I'm pretty sure I could get a run of 250 of that configuration with a 6.5X55 or .260 barrel.

Hmmmm
6.5 Swede -flexible cartridge, low recoil, accurate. Might as well take advantage of all the action has to offer.

I'd be tempted to shorten the stock, add a decent pad and it would make a nice "Youth African" if you could talk them into using the same rear sight. (Wouldn't be a deal killer if you couldn't but if it was a straight swap, I'd get one on my own...maybe a barrel band, too.) Then, my oldest boy would get an African that he could actually shoot for his birthday this year.

I'll watch the thread but please PM me if the 6.5 Swede is a go.

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
I could be swindled into a swede in that config.

Keep us posted.

Rod

"A hunter should not choose the cal, cartridge, and bullet that will kill an animal when everything is right; rather, he should choose ones that will kill the most efficiently when everything goes wrong"
Bob Hagel

Posts: 977 | Location: Alberta, Canada. | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I would happily buy one of either caliber. I've been trying to decide whether to get a 243 or 7-08 in one of the new Rugers, but would rather have either the 260 or 6.5x55.
Keep the info coming.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, I have good new and bad news. The good news: Lipsey's is going to order a run of 250 Ruger compacts in 6.5X55 blued, wood stock, and 20" barrels with iron sights. That's good, right? Well, they will be right hand guns. That's the bad news. But the really good news is that they also will ask Ruger to make left hand guns in the same configuration to be built to order. So we have to get paid-up orders for enough guns to set up a production run of these guns. I don't know what Ruger's minimum will be, but probably 50 guns is a good guess. So now is the time to put your money where your interest is. I'll take orders for these guns. When I have 50, I'll ask the people to put up $500 deposit and I'll place the order through Lipsey's. I don't know what the retail price will run, but I'll guarantee that it will be no more than the suggested retail of the standard rifles, around $800 or so. I'll order a bunch myself to sell at whatever the market will bear. You will get a reduced price on the guns in order to make a 50-gun order happen. What you do with the guns once they are in your hands is your business. Order two and sell one for enough to cover the cost of two and get yours free. All firearms will have to shipped to a dealer in compliance with all laws.

Here is my contact information:

Allan McKinney, Spring Run Sports
423 262 9394
allanmckinney@msn.com

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
PM sent

posted Hide Post
I'm in

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I'm also in. How much and when?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In order to get enough gun orders to make this happen, I'm going to charge $650 plus shipping to your dealer. For the continental US, that will be a total cost of $675 and I'll need the money up front once we have enough committments to place the order. What that means is that you will get your gun at a bargain price to enable me to get a quantity of guns to sell later.

I haven't had any trouble getting $1250 for left hand stainless .375s from the 100 made in 2008. The same will go for an even smaller limited run of 6.5X55s. So don't complain about the price later if you don't get in on this order.

Send me an email with all your contact information to the email address above if you want in on this. There won't be a need then for me to respond to the PMs and postings here. But keep up the postings here and contact your lefthanded friends. We'll need everyone we can get to place an order to make this happen.

There won't be a need to send money until we have enough orders to make the run happen. But save you money and get it ready so that you can send it quickly once we get the green light.
Here's a copy of the RCM photo from the Ruger website.http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp48/Vol423/Ruger%20Compact%20Rifles/171621.jpg

I'll keep you posted here from time to time.

Allan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm out, why the iron sites, do you guys use them? see through scope mounts? no scope at all? what? I would buy a 300rcm and a 338rcm, but not with the iron sites. I havent shot a deer with iron sites in 25 years, what am i missing?

posted Hide Post
Let's make this happen, that would be a great first step , then look at other calibers and options.

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLK320:
I'm out, why the iron sites, do you guys use them? see through scope mounts? no scope at all? what? I would buy a 300rcm and a 338rcm, but not with the iron sites. I havent shot a deer with iron sites in 25 years, what am i missing?

Can't speak for anyone else but for me:
1. Irons are great for rifles that get traveled. Ergo, a scope problem does not necessarily mean the end of the hunt. The irons on the African are excellent and I would not feel handicapped at all if a scope problem occurred.
2. This 6.5 will make a great little brother to my .375 African and will give my boy a flat shooting rifle with low recoil. When I shorten the stock, it will look like an African Jr.
3. With the right load, the irons should be useable for a considerable distance and with the SD of the 6.5, it will be a great all around rifle anyway. Why not have irons?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zero desire for a 6.5x55

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the same thought as Randy. "Zero desire for a 6.5X55"

Posts: 283 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm the opposite. Would love to see one in a 6.5x55. Great round!

posted Hide Post
I would love a Ruger ultralight in 6.5 but even more in 257 Roberts!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be VERY interested in a 257 Roberts, or even a 250-3000, but no sights!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey CLK,

We can't please everybody with a special run. However, your desire is easy to satisfy. Just buy a lefty .270, 30/06 or .25/06 and a right hand .257 Roberts and switch barrels, then sell the right hand .270. I've had it done several times. A 6.5X55 isn't available either left or right hand. That's why it is desirable in a special run.

posted Hide Post
There is no lefty ultralight

One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
I scoured a show today looking for a lefty, an RCM, or a 6.5 Swede. Didn't see any one of the three, nevermind as one rifle!

I am looking forward to this order!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a call today from Lipsey's. The 250 unit order for the right hand version of this gun has been approved by Ruger and they will be produced late summer 2010. Also, at the end of the right hand run, Ruger will make as many left hand guns in the same configuration as I have orders for, if the quantity is large enough to make it worth their while to set up the production. The Lipsey's ordering manager implied that this quantity was 50 to 100 units. I'm hoping that 50 will do the trick, especially if I add my own order on top of this. So now we have a chance to get a really special left hand gun, at a bargain price. If you want this to happen, I'll need a total of 50 people to commit to this and be prepared to send $650 plus shipping once we have enough orders. So tell your left hand friends about it and get as many orders in as possible. I'm thinking that I'll need to place the order in July in order for Ruger to place the left hand guns into the production schedule. I'll ask for more information next week from Lipsey's about production schedules, etc.

Again, don't send the orders here, but rather send them to me at allanmckinney@msn.com. I don't want any money now, but start saving to send it to me quickly in July. Once you do send money, I will send each person a receipt and a projected delivery date. Also you need to plan for a dealer to receive the gun for you. I'm going to set up an email group (BCC only so that I won't share everyone's emails)for those who place orders so that I can keep you posted with one group email.

Allan

One of Us
Picture of cmfic1
posted Hide Post
Allan, check your PM's

Rod

Bob Hagel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Allen... might you or the folks at Lipsey's have a feel for the turnaround time once they start production? Not a deal maker or breaker for me, just curious.

Thanks!

Posts: 203 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Production time is pretty quick if they just change configurations slightly. I gather that production planning takes that into consideration when scheduling production. For example, the reason it is feasible to make lefty 6.5s after making the 250 unit right hand run is that the setup time is minimal when transitioning to the next SKU. From what I've seen of early-run guns, guns produced in one month are in the distributors hands in the next month.

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the time frame?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just talked to Lipsey's on Friday. They know we are looking to buy the LH 6.5X55s and are going to get Ruger to commit to building them at the end of the RH gun run. I'll keep you posted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an update from Lipsey's last week. The rep asked me how many left hand guns I could commit to. I told him I had about 55 expressions of interest and another dealer and I would add guns on top of that. He said he had just discussed the order with Ruger and that he believed that the order will be filled. He did say that Ruger told him that the metal finish would be a matte blue finish rather than gloss blue. I won't ask for any up-front money until I can forward a committment email from Jason at Lipsey's on the order. I think you should take this as a good sign and should start to get the money ready.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent news. Any idea on a timeframe for when the money would need to be in?

Posts: 89 | Location: SW Washington | Registered: 23 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't predict it with any reliability. But I'd be willing to bet that they will give us short notice, so be prepared to move quickly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ready!

Steady!

Let us know!

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote