THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Another Zastava stock remodel (lots of pics)

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Zastava stock remodel (lots of pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got my Zastava 7X57 back from the smith today. He thinned the stock a lot to remove all checkering and not make it so proud of the action and barrel, removed the rollover on the monte carlo and refinished it with a hard shell satin finish.

I'm not 100% satisfied with the finished color, I was hoping for a darker look. He used a French Red stain to try to "warm it up" some, if'n I had a do-over I'd have gone with a darker walnut stain.

But I'm very pleased with the way the remodel turned out. It feels a LOT better in the hands, the forend isn't so clubby, he shortened the LOP to 13 5/8" and it's a lot easier and more natural to mount. I've contactd a fellow to do the checkering but he is busy through the end of the year, I will be sending it off to him in the first part of January. Going to go with a 20 LPI standard checkering pattern like a factory Winchester 70 LT stock. Nothing too fancy, but good sharp functional checkering.

The rain quit long enough to go out and take natural light pics but with the cloudy sky they were still glary, so I took some indoors with natural light.

The finished stock.

He replaced the walnut grip cap with an ironwood cap which I think looks pretty good.

Thinned and reshaped forend.

A bit glary but this shows the color well.

The wood has nice fiddleback which shows up in daylight but it doesn't really pop out at you, you have to look at the stock from an angle.
This also shows how the rollover was removed and also the shape of that funny shaped pistol grip. Despite it looking a bit thin it feels really good in the hand.

While he had it he polished the raceway and smoothed the feed lips a bit more. It feeds well, it shoots really great and now it handles and feels a lot better. His price was very reasonable for the work he did. Overall I am now happy with the rifle. Smiler

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice Jim, who's your gunsmith?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12557 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His name is Doug Jones of Gunsmith Solutions in Boise, ID. He is a good general purpose gunsmith and does rebarreling, chambering, stock work and general fix-it gunsmithing.

One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim in Idaho:
His name is Doug Jones of Gunsmith Solutions in Boise, ID. He is a good general purpose gunsmith and does rebarreling, chambering, stock work and general fix-it gunsmithing.

Big improvement.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim thanks for taking the time to input the remodel information. When you have it checkered get the finish redone to your liking. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

what have you done here ....????

it was supposed only to be a Zastava collector rifle not a piece of art ....

more seriously i like it ....

Posts: 1750 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TANGLEWOOD
posted Hide Post
Looks great thanks for posting pics

Posts: 63 | Location: Kentucky  | Registered: 14 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
Jim thanks for taking the time to input the remodel information. When you have it checkered get the finish redone to your liking. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm seriously considering that. It would mean the waste of the money already spent finishing it, but it wasn't that much money. Besides, life is too short not to go with what you really want.

The finish can be stripped chemically, not too worried about that, but I wonder if a new stain can be applied since the pores are already filled in. Wouldn't want to do any more sanding since the dimensions are already right, any more reduction would be too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim the amount of wood that is sanded off will be so minute it should not affect stock dimensions. You will be much happier with it in the long haul and you will forget about the money.
Myself a rifle loony of the first order if I don't get my rifles exactly the way I want them I lose interest and end up selling them off.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote