THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Left hand Mauser 98 type action

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left hand Mauser 98 type action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who and what are being made these days? I use a right handed 7x57, but would love to build a proper left handed one.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zastava Arms in Serbia, is currently the only commercial producer of a LH Mauser 98 action. Your best bet is to have your firearms dealer import a rifle or just an action from them and build to your specs.
The custom route and much more of a financial commitment, north of $3,500 for the action alone in the white is the following.

1) Granite Mountain Arms in Phoenix Arizona.
2) FZH in Germany.
3) Hartman & Weiss also in Germany.

There are very small companies that produce actions with some Mauser 98 features, such as the Mausingfield in Washington State and others.

The used market on the internet or the Auction houses might be an option. The most important part is to get hold of a quality action, new or used and build to your heart desire.
Once it’s done, don’t sell it. It will be harder to replace as time goes on.
Best of luck to you.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Zastava and shopping for an action in the USA are options you're considering you could contact Vol717 ( next forum post down about Lefty Tikka T3 ) as he imports Zastava rifles. Possibly he may have only complete rifles but it would be worth asking about actions. If he has none he may be able to point you in the right direction.
There are also Winchester M70 LH rifles floating around from time to time if that's close enough to an Mauser 98 for you.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Who and what are being made these days? I use a right handed 7x57, but would love to build a proper left handed one.

Heres my LH Zastava 7x57 reworked factory wood. Was first order that was imported several years ago must have removed .25 inch of wood.

LH Zastava 223 double set triggers with reworked factory wood stock bought same time as the 7x57 had very nice wood hidden.

kk alaska

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Here's a left handed Zastava 458 Win Mag as it comes from the factory with oversized wood and pencil barrel (.650" at the muzzle).

I had a .750" muzzle diameter barrel on it and the stock refinished. Later I shaved the rollover cheekpiece of it and it works a lot better now.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One option that was left out if you are after a high end build are actions built by Mayfair Engineering in the UK.

https://mayfairengineering.com/

These actions are used by Rigby in some of the rifles they currently make. For the largest cartridges Rigby use Magnum Mauser actions though Mayfair also make them in this size.

The actions come in a variety of lengths, right or left hand, one or two square bridges or none at all and have cartridge specific mag boxes.

Otherwise, Zastava’s clean up well and you can buy all the accessories for them, even for LH models. They should be available through a supplier in the UK or Europe.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Virginia Creeper
posted Hide Post
Here is another name in the Left Handed Mauser game...

https://www.waffen-kessler.de/...sic-left-handed.html

I own two of the Granite Mountain LH actions in 505 Gibbs. They are fabulous.
For regular use and hunting, I use Ruger 77 LH with their wing safety and claw extractor. The Ruger is easily rebarreled to the caliber of you choice in the long action.

E Pluribus Unum - where out of many, we will become one.

Posts: 149 | Location: VA | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only complete guns in left hand Zastavas. One .30/06, one 6.5X55 and three 300 Winchesters. These are the last of them. $1500 each.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote