THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    Synthetic stock options for LH 98 action

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Synthetic stock options for LH 98 action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a project in hand based on a LH Zastava 98 action. Can anyone help with synthetic stock options available to suit this action?

Needs to be somewhat recoil proof.

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Depends on how handy you are around the workbench.

I faced the same dilema when I re-barreld my L/H Zastava (orginally a .30/06 Sprg) to 9.3x62. I couldn't find a L/H synthetic stock off the shelf at the time and still don't know if anyone makes something that would be a drop-in.

Anyway, I purchased a Bell & Carlson Carbalite (Sp?) Mauser M-98 stock (whatever model it was without a R/H cheekpiece) cut the upper action area off the stock with a Hack Saw and re-bedded the action area from R/H to L/H with Accra-Steel. Worked great although a Gunsmith could have probably done the job mucho quicker than me. Added a coupla coats of spray paint and have had no issues with the increased recoil of the 9.3.

It was a few years ago but IIRC the stock, materials & paint was right at about $100.00.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gerry,

Thanks your reply. If all else fails I might give this a shot, but unsure of my own handy work....

How has it stood up to the recoil of the 9.3 ?

Can stocks designed for LH M70's be altered to fit a M98 ? Any views on whether this is feasible / practical ?

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Yes, my customized B&C stock has held up just fine with the increased recoil of the 9.3x62; although I don't perceive the "increased" recoil to be so mcuh more substantial IMO. After the work I did on it, with it's extra glass-bedding and Acra-Steel features it is probably a little bit more robust than original, anyway.

Nope, Winchester & Mauser are similar but not the same. If you want go the synthetic route there probably wouldn't be a hill of beans difference between re-bedding a Winchester synthetic or the B&C Left-to-Right route.

Don't know if you're set on a synthetic but somewhere in the American Gunstocks website they mentioned a wooden drop-in for a L/H Zastava which could be an other than Do-it-Youself option.

http://www.gunstocks.com/

Good Luck with your project.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote