Find
Notify
Tools

LH Stainless Model 70s
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Anyone know the last year of production on these?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves correctly (highly questionable), the LH stainless guns were made only one year, '92-'93.
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my 338mag LH SS Classic in 97 the first and only year they were offered in stainless w/ walnut stock. After that the stainless were only offered w/ a synthetic stock. Not to many were made after that.
Here's a picture of mine after I put it in a new McMillen stock. The walnut stock was put back in the box, much to nice to be beatup in the mountains.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I bought mine in 1999. I think that was the last year they were offered

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles Iron Buck and jbmich. I've been looking for one of those to build a 280AI on. They are a rare bird up here though......... guys that have one don't give 'em up lightly. Smiler

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I owned three of them and couldnt get any to shoot worth a shit and they were very heavy to boot!
First one was in 300 WM and I had to have the chamber recut. Best it would do was 2 moa. Another 300 followed and then a 338. The 338 would only manage 2.5 moa at best. I tried pillar bedding and even had one blueprinted before I sold every one. Not sure why I had such bad luck with them but my smith told me the ss barrels were machined very badly.
Still, to a collector they appear to be desirable.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm just glad I've got one....it's a 270 and shoots 1" groups with Rem factory 130grs.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
I "had" two of them. They made them 2 years. The .30-06 I got when they first came out was a really well made rifle. The .270 I got the next year was a POS. Shot 3" groups, wouldn't cycle, galled, and fed like crap. The .30-06 I sold to a friend, who still likes it. I cryo'd it, blackstarred the factory barrel, and put some Gentry featherlight rings on it. Shot 1/2 groups and had none of the issues of the .270.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in .300 WM and it shoots very well indeed. One of the last I will ever get rid of.

Telly

Posts: 163 | Location: Vincennes, IN | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious what are prices running for a good condition SS leftie? Checked the auction sites and none were listed.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Craig:
Curious what are prices running for a good condition SS leftie? Checked the auction sites and none were listed.
Thanks

Not sure what the prices would be.....but I know mine will not be up for sale anytime soon Smiler Glad I bought mine when I did. I could have picked up a 270 & 7mm mag at the same time, but went with the 06 over the other 2.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayne Elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Craig:
Thanks

If you can find one for a grand, buy it. Going rate would be $1100-1200, based on actual sales I've seen in the last few months. Have seen 'em sell up to $1400. Depends on how bad you want one.

Wayne E.

Posts: 119 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm feeling very good about my purchase of a stainless / wood stocked 7mm MAG a few years ago. Purchased used from guy kind of through gunbroker (auction didn't meet reserve, so we worked out a deal after the fact). Gave him $650. Gun shoots great, much better than my new Browning A-bolt -06.

Posts: 4 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote