THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    And now for something totally different

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And now for something totally different
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted
Pardon the post if some observant soul has already mentioned this, but as I was reading the February Handloader, I noticed in the Sierra ad on page 64 that the right handed shooter is shooting a left handed Remington 700.

After 50+ years of doing just the opposite,I thought it was poetic justice.

I shoot a lot of Sierra bullets anyway,but will try to use even more to support a company that gives lefties a treat like that.
Smiler Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was going to cut that Ad out, scan it and post it but I haven't gotten around to it. I think that they wanted to get the Sierra logo to show on the guy's hat but didn't realize until they set up that everything was left handed.

For some reason studies show that people like to see Ads run left to right so they just turned the guy around.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I figured there was some advertising angle to the setup.
Your explanation is as good as any.
The only other option is that there is no one left at Sierra that knows anything about firearms and they thought it looked cool.

Big Grin Covey16

Funny,After a rotten war like this,how hard it is to leave- Duncan Grinell-Milne

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2005 Hodgdons basic reloading manual (more of a pamphlet really) showed a righty shooting a left-handed rifle also........... can't tell what make though.

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've read where some benchrest shooters prefer a left-hand bolt because it gives them easier access to the chamber. Some of the custom benchrest actions let you choose the side for the bolt and the port.

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelmore4:
I've read where some benchrest shooters prefer a left-hand bolt because it gives them easier access to the chamber. Some of the custom benchrest actions let you choose the side for the bolt and the port.

True, but they generally don't put the Monte Carlo on the wrong side.
Smiler

Covey16

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to see that. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that some RH benchresters prefer a LH bolt because it allows them to work the action without disrupting the grip/finger/trigger interface. No small thing in their world.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
For those that haven't seen the ad,the guy is shooting what appears to be a stock Rem 700 BDL or CDL from the kneeling position out on the prairie.
Rifle has a variable scope and a sling.
Doesn't appear to be a benchrest shooter.
Well mebbe a Louisiana benchrest shooter. Big Grin

Covey16

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sbsmith:
It is my understanding that some RH benchresters prefer a LH bolt because it allows them to work the action without disrupting the grip/finger/trigger interface. No small thing in their world.

I have a left handed bolt, right port gun that is great on the bench because you can see in the port while loading.

The Ad shows a guy shooting a hunting rifle with a cheekpiece wrong handed from the kneeling position.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have local club shoots one event is a timed
2 rounds off the bench i shoot a right handed
rifle and i can crank out the rounds noticably faster than the right handed shooters
because i don't have to reach over the scope
to chamber rounds

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelmore4:
I need to see that. Smiler

x2 Smiler Stick it to the right-hand man!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The picture is probably turned because right handshooters thought it looked wrong with a lefty holding a righthanded rifle at wrong shoulder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1970s, one year Winchester's annual catalog showed a man shooting a left-hand Model 70 on the cover.

Wrote them a letter wanting to know where I could buy a rifle like was on the annual catalog cover. They wrote back that the advertising department was more creative than the engineering and manufacturing departments and that I would probably never be able to buy a left-hand Winchester Model 70.

It was quite a few years later, but the engineering and manufacturing folks finally caught up with the advertising folks.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote