THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LEFTIES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Lefties    What optic on your LH .375 H&H?

Moderators: GeorgeS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What optic on your LH .375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a M70 LH .375 H&H that is turning into a bugger to put glass on. I'm wanting to mount using Talley or Warne lever release rings and I keep running into an issue of either tube length or bolt knob interference.

I thought I found my perfect scope, a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 x 24, only to find the bolt hits the "thumb bump" on the magnification adjustment ring when on 1x, even with high rings (would not be an issue for right handed rifles). I could possibly have part of the bump machined, but that bump also serves as the nitrogen fill port, so I risk screwing the scope warranty.

I'd really like to stick with a 30mm 1-6 with a #4 and thinking a Leica 1-6 x 24 might be the next best answer, but I'd love to make sure I'm not going to have the same issue.

I tried mounting a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 I have lying around but the scope tube was too short. It's currently wearing a Nikon African 1-4 x 20, but wanting to upgrade.

What are some of you using.

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 30.06king:
On my Left Hand M70 .375 H&H I mounted a Leupold VX6 1-6 Illuminated, bought from a forum member here. It's mounted in Tally rings on Talley bases with the recoil stop and with heavier screws. But first I mounted a Swarovski Z6 1.7-10 which I found sometimes whacked me on the forehead under recoil. On this scope eye relief is actually slightly shorter that the Leupold above and after swapping the Swarovski for the Leupold I've had no such issue. With it's straight frontal tube the Leupold maybe has a little more lateral movement potential for best placement as well. Both scopes have 30 mm tubes.
The bolt comes up just behind the "thumb bump" of the Leupold when on 1X. Possibly due to having a longer Wyatt magazine box installed into the receiver which necessitated shortening the bolt stop a little to allow the bolt to travel back to the rear of the magazine box ...? But the other thing I had my local gunsmith do was to turn down just the knob end of the bolt handle to further clear the scopes rear ocular housing. In standard configuration the bolt knob did clear the scope anyway but my fingers would sometimes graze against the scope when rapidly cycling the action. It was turned down no more than 3 mm but made all the difference. I have small hands so even with the downturned bolt knob I can still easily grasp the bolt knob and now vigourously cycle the action without fear of whacking my fingers against the scope.

Pics below show the current Leupold scope and altered bolt handle ( sorry, pics 2 and 3 loaded in reverse order ). Pics of the rear of the rifle show the original, then altered bolt handle configuration for comparison, with the first mounted Swarovski scope but the benefit also applies to the Leupold scope.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30.06, thanks for your reply and photo's. Modifying the bolt knob is my last option and one I really want to avoid if possible.

Is the rifle in the photo's a M70 or an MRC 1999 action? You're a lucky man to have found a stainless lefty M70 in .375 H&H if that;s what it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
30.06, thanks for your reply and photo's. Modifying the bolt knob is my last option and one I really want to avoid if possible.

Is the rifle in the photo's a M70 or an MRC 1999 action? You're a lucky man to have found a stainless lefty M70 in .375 H&H if that;s what it is.

It's an M70 Stainless Classic. Yes, I got lucky getting this one. I actually bought it barreled in 7mm Rem Mag but had it rebarreled to .375 H&H Douglas barrel, Brown Precision stock and a few other "improvements". In any case LH examples don't turn up for sale very often in stainless so I jumped on this one.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
quote:

It's an M70 Stainless Classic. Manufactured in early 2000's as far as I could find out. Yes, I got lucky getting this one. I actually bought it barreled in 7mm Rem Mag but had it rebarreled to .375 H&H Douglas barrel, Brown Precision stock and a few other "improvements". In any case LH examples don't turn up for sale very often in stainless so I jumped on this one.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
On my left handed M70 I run a Leupold 2.5x8 VX-III in Talley QD rings and I've never had any issues with bolt clearance.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
I have a few of the old Swarovski 1.5-6x42's on my lefty 375/416's and I like those a bit more than the smaller objective scopes...gives more light for my eyes. Just picked up a S&B Zenith in 1.5-6x42 as well. Great all around scopes.

Also have a Swaro 1.7-10 on my H&H which I love.

No issues with bolt clearance.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up putting a Leupold VX 6HD 1-6 x 24 with a firedot duplex. Very nice scope and works with low rings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a solution.
Could you post pics of the rifle and scope with your chosen mounts please ? I am also interested to see what works for other fellow hunters. Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering how you
fit that bolt handle in a lathe to turn down the handle. Then when I saw the photo I realized that you had it bent!

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2144 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I was wondering how you
fit that bolt handle in a lathe to turn down the handle. Then when I saw the photo I realized that you had it bent!

Actually, you are correct. "Bent" is the more correct terminology and I should have described it that way. Sorry for any confusion caused but I'm glad the pics answered the question.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski 2.5-10 x 42 on mine and love it, but I’m a die-hard Swaro girl.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a M70 LH .375 H&H that is turning into a bugger to put glass on. I'm wanting to mount using Talley or Warne lever release rings and I keep running into an issue of either tube length or bolt knob interference.

I thought I found my perfect scope, a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 x 24, only to find the bolt hits the "thumb bump" on the magnification adjustment ring when on 1x, even with high rings (would not be an issue for right handed rifles). I could possibly have part of the bump machined, but that bump also serves as the nitrogen fill port, so I risk screwing the scope warranty.

I'd really like to stick with a 30mm 1-6 with a #4 and thinking a Leica 1-6 x 24 might be the next best answer, but I'd love to make sure I'm not going to have the same issue.

I tried mounting a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 I have lying around but the scope tube was too short. It's currently wearing a Nikon African 1-4 x 20, but wanting to upgrade.

What are some of you using.

I had a Leupold 1.5 X 5 older reliable scope on My LH Win 70 375 H&H I sold

Replaced it with a LH 375 Ruger SS use a Vortex Viper 2 X 7 prefer the rifle and scope.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gotogirl3:
I have a Swarovski 2.5-10 x 42 on mine and love it, but I’m a die-hard Swaro girl.

What model Swarovski may I ask?

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote