New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left Hand 223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want a LH 223 probably a Stainless. Thought I wanted a Charles Daly 223 LH but missed the boat on those, and heard quality issues.
What are the thoughts on the new Savages?
Really would like a LH Fluted similar to Rems.
VLSS. Don,t trust shooting RH rifles with gas relief on exposed eye side.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KK,

I have an older LH 223 Savage 110. I bought it about 15 years ago. The stock was shaped like a club and I later had it re-shaped. Looks aside, it did shoot extremely well for a relatively inexpensive rifle.

Joe

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
kk,

I'm a Southpaw and for my money the new L/H Savage Low Profile in .223 will be hard to top in today's market, price, trigger, accuracy and additional features you are looking for.

I've two L/H Savages and both are absolute Tac-Drivers.

Don't get too awful upset about missing the Charles Daily L/H Mini-Mauser boat, I got an early cruise ticket on a .22-250 in L/H and it was a disappointing trip.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Browning was going to make the medalion 223 in left hand. Might want to check to see if they actually did that.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot with guys that have savages some of them
took some flack about the cheap rifles until they saw them shoot then the guys that were talking suddenly didn't have much to say. i'd
buy one

Posts: 136 | Location: s.e. bc | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage, Remington, and Browning make LH a 223 that I know of. I was debating the Browning Hunter but went with a 22 Hornet instead.
I have a LH Savage 11FL in 7-08 that is very accurate and I like the accutrigger.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does Savage make a Fluted LH 223 with a Laminate? Want a 8# or so good shooter.
Brownings are not my favorite. Kurt

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/left-hand/model_700_VSF.asp

Well that looks like something I could like!

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kurt,

Just go here:

http://www.savagearms.com/12Varminterleft.htm

and take a gander at this - and yes, Martha; it's got a fluted barrel AND laminate!

Good Luck from one Southpaw to another!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it, the 10 # weight might be a bit heavy for what I want it for. Could put Laminate
on a diet with some work!

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned about half a dozen Savages (LH) in the last 10 years. Every one would shoot MOA or better right out of the box. They dont look prutty nor are they very smooth, but man oh man, do they ever shoot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Specter65
posted Hide Post
I own two lefty Savage rilfes in 223. One is the model 12 Varminter Low Profile with stainless and laminate stock. This gun is an excellent shooter even without handloading as I've shot .3" groups at 100yds using Black Hills 60gr VMAX.

My other is the model 10 FLP which is all black powder coat; a beautiful gun in my opinion. The only drawback to it was the plastic stock which had to be replaced with a fiberglass stock. It too will shoot .5moa with the Black Hills ammo so I'm now starting to develope some handloads to try and emmulate these rounds.

-----------------------------------------
Theology is a way for people to explain that which they don't know. Science is a way for people to say "I don't know this.... Let's figure it out!"

Posts: 15 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 23 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Specter65 Sent you a PM with lots of ?

kk alaska

posted Hide Post
I picked up a 700LH VSF last week. Pretty happy with it. I wanted some thing to shoot off the bench with the possibility of a little vermint shooting. First group of five was 1.02 with four at .750. This was walmart winchester 40 gr@ 3600 fps. Hope to tighten up a bit with handloads. Was going to try the Black Hills ammo but I haven't found it locally yet. I am using a Burris Signature 4-16x-44. Its nice to shoot from a bench and not get beat up.
Brian

Posts: 16 | Location: Gardnerville, Nv | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote