Find
Notify
Tools

Left hand Zastava !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen,

I looked up the Zastava web pages and found that they are making lefthanded rifles again.

Joy, oh joy! I am not sure the company sells just actions or barrelled actions in left hand set up. The web pages are all in Serbian.....

Any Serbian speakers amongst us?

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i speak serbian

Posts: 74 | Location: KENJADA | Registered: 20 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great!

Could you please read their website and report back, confirming they are still making the FN- Mauser CRF bolt action in left hand configuration.

The photographs of their 'new' rifles are not clear. The close ups look like they came from their old webpages - the bling, bling rifles.

It would be a great pity if they stopped making CRF Mauser actions, replacing them with leftside bolts etc.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great! I've been writing KBI (the old importer) about this. I need a LH mauser action.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12586 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never owned a Mauser, if they make it in lefty put me in line!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
me too

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from what i have been told. they have made a left handed version of a mauser for years. when kbi imported them as charles daly they came in. when remington got involved they were not imported then but were still being sold in some european markets.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by max(hm2):
from what i have been told. they have made a left handed version of a mauser for years. when kbi imported them as charles daly they came in. when remington got involved they were not imported then but were still being sold in some european markets.

They imported them in 7 mag, 30.06 and 270, like every other manufacturer. They were just talking about importing them in 375 H&H when they lost the importation rights to Remington.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12586 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I heard recently that Kassnar, later KBI went bankrupt recently. If so, so Serb guns from that sector.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like one.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Count me in for at least 2

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to an importer about bringing these guns in. He didn't speak very kindly about the Serb way of doing business. He said that he'd consider importing actions if he could get an initial order of 100 actions.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2147 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So where's the translation? I'm a lefty, too...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Might as well include me in this, too. By the time they would be available, though, I'd not only be back from Iraq, but eligible for social security! Oh oh, wait a minute. I'm eligible for social security now! Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm with prof242.
i have my doubts if they ever will arrive. if they can be brought here and sold for what i paid for the last six i bought before kbi lost the deal, less than 300 an action, i'll buy 10.
let me know,
max

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Through the kind services of Google web page translator, I 'had a go' at the Zastava rifle company web pages.

A broad summary:

1) Yes, they are making true left handed rifles again.

2) Yes, they are CRF & Extraction, except for the mini action.

3) From the available photographs and description, the appear very similar, +/- the same, as my Charles Daley sourced Zastava left hand action.

4) Action length is the same irrespective of cartridge chambered for. Only the magazine box length (?internal length only - with spacers) varies.

5) From 1-4, the Zastavas appear, to me anyway, to be left hand versions of the old FN - Browning M98 actions which 'became' the Whitworth rifles, which are held in nostalgic affection.

6) The web pages show barrelled actions - "mechanism" section. This implies, but does not state categorically, left hand barrelled actions are available in just about all the various chamberings Zastava offers.

7) There is no mention of separate left hand actions. This implies, to me, that actions alone are not available from Zastava.

Now, complete Zastava rifles are not that expensive in the UK and Europe. So, maybe us left handers need to buy a rifle and send it for the 'chop shop' treatment to a gunsmith?

The action alone, out of convenience, has to be worth 760 Euros? These are modern made "FN" Mausers clones, built of good quality steels with predictable material properties. With work (= $$$), they can be made into nice rifles, just like the various, better quality original military Mauser rifles.

One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
But will we ever be able to get them here in the good ol' USA?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
Just as a teaser...Did some further translation and conversions.

Here is what they're offering (all LEFT handed according to their web site). Now the question is...where to find them.

quote:
Hunting carbine M70 LEFTHAND Hunting carbine M70 Left hand is a variant of the Standard Model M70 is ergonomically adapted to left-handed shooters. All other features and options (stock types, types of mechanisms) are identical features and options hunting carbine M70 Standard.

Caliber Capacity Wt. (kg) Barrel length (mm) Grooves L.O.P (mm)

.22-250 Rem 5 +1 3.5 600 6 1145

6mm Rem 5 +1 3.5 600 4 1145

6.5x55 5 +1 3.5 600 6 1145

7x57 5 +1 3.5 600 4 1145

.270 Win 5 +1 3.5 600 4 1145

.30-06 Spring. 5 +1 3.5 600 4 1145

.25-06 5 +1 3.5 600 4 1145

.243 Win 4 3.5 600 4 1145

.308 Win 4 3.5 600 4 1145

.264 Win Mag 3 3.5 600 4 1145

7mm Rem Mag 3 3.5 600 6 1145

.300 Win Mag 3 3.5 600 6 1145

.375 H & H 3 3.9 600 6 1145

.458 Win Mag 3 3.9 600 6 1145

9.3x62 5 3.5 600 4 1145

One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
Please note that the last measurement is the overall length of the rifle, rather than the LOP (even MY forearms aren't that long.......).

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of x-ring
posted Hide Post
Righty-O...

OAL--not LOP.

...and you're welcome.

RECTUM NON BUSTUS

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I can't say that I like that stock but I'd buy one (probably in 458) just to get the barreled action. All you would need to add is the barrel band sling attachment.

Frank

posted Hide Post
That's one ugly stock

Posts: 173 | Location: Pa | Registered: 02 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find someone who speaks Serbian and fire off questions directly too Zastava Arms .

See if any USA importer has signed a contract or a letter of intent ?. Proceed from there .

They are in fact producing the LK M70 Left Hand and unless the current administration has a hard on

for Serbia ? , importing actions or barreled actions should present no problems .

Money talks and we all know what walks , they need MONEY just like everyone else !.

Zastava Arms
Zastava, in addition to producing cars, is the sole producer of military firearms in Serbia. Most of its line of small arms is derived from the Soviet Khalashnikov design. It produces the following models:

ZASTAVA_Oružje_Arms.jpg
*BGA 30mm (Automatic Grenade Launcher - 30mm)
*CZ99 (Pistol - 9 x 19 mm Parabellum, .40 S&W)
*CZ999 (Pistol - 9 x 19 mm Parabellum)
*M21 (Assault Rifle - 5.56 mm NATO)
*Zastava M59|M59 (Semi-Auto Carbine - 7.62 x 39 mm)
**Zastava M59/66|M59/66 (Semi-Auto Carbine - 7.62 x 39 mm)
*M70 (Assault Rifle - 7.62 x 39 mm)
*M72 (LMG - 7.62 x 39mm)
*M76 (Semi-Auto Marksman's Rifle - 7.92 x 57 mm Mauser, 7.62 mm NATO, & 7.62 mm x 54R)
*M77 (Assault Rifle - 7.62 x 51 mm NATO)
*M80 (Assault Rifle - 5.56 mm NATO)
**M80A (Assault Rifle - 5.56 mm NATO)
*Zastava M82|M82 (LMG - 5.56 mm NATO)
**Zastava M82A|M82A (LMG - 5.56 mm NATO)
*M84/86 (Machinegun - 7.62 mm x 54R)
*M85 (Compact Assault Rifle - 5.56 mm NATO)
*M87 (Heavy Machinegun - 12.7 x 107 mm)
*M90 (Assault Rifle - 5.56 mm NATO)
*M90 (LMG - 5.56 mm NATO)
*M91 (Semi-Auto Rifle - 7.62 mm x 54R)
*M92 (SMG - 7.62 x 39 mm)
*M93 7.62mm (Sniper Rifle (Mauser) - 7.62 mm x 51R)
*Zastava M93 Black Arrow (Sniper Rifle (Mauser) - 12.7 x 105 mm, 0.50 Browning)
External links

*Zastava corporate site

*Zastava Arms Official Site http://www.zastava-arms.co.rs/

Kalibar Kapacitet (met) Masa oružja (kg) Dužina cevi (mm) Korak uvijanja (mm) Broj žljebova Dužina oružja (mm)
.22-250 Rem 5+1 3,5 600 360 6 1145
6mm Rem 5+1 3,5 600 230 4 1145
6.5x57 5+1 3,5 600 200 4 1145
7x57 5+1 3,5 600 220 4 1145
8x57 JS 5+1 3,5 600 240 4 1145
6.5x55 SE 5+1 3,5 600 230 6 1145
.270 Win 5+1 3,5 600 250 4 1145
7x64 5+1 3,5 600 220 4 1145
.30-06 Spring. 5+1 3,5 600 250 4 1145
.25-06 5+1 3,5 600 254 4 1145
.243 Win 4 3,5 600 250 4 1145
.308 Win 4 3,5 600 300 4 1145
.264 Win Mag 3 3,5 600 230 6 1145
7mm Rem Mag 3 3,5 600 260 6 1145
.300 Win Mag 3 3,5 600 250 6 1145
.375 H&H 3 3,9 600 355 6 1145
.458 Win Mag 3 3,9 600 355 6 1145
9.3x62 5 3,5 600 360 4 1145

The only problem I currently see is the model M70 is designated as a Military Assault Rifle and this

may be confusing simpletons at the Gov. levels !. Stranger things have happened !.

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I still want a 458.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless someone can figure out how to get these in the USA it is just wishful thinking.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With all our members out there no one knows anybody who speaks Serbian ?.

Who wants to inquire through official channels ?.

Let's quit wishing and start doing who wants to draft up a letter of inquiry and or letter of intent ?.

I'm not a literary genius but either will help or contribute an effort .

I'm not an FFL holder so correct me if I'm wrong ,I can't actually import the actions or rifles !.

However if enough genuine interest backed by $$$$$ speaks ; I'm fairly certain we could pull it off by

someone who has one !. Hey all they can say is piss off but will do so politely , I've been told that

many times before and it never stopped me . Simply because eventually someone said what will it take to

make you go away and I replied here's my list !. Smiler I'm in what do you say ?.

http://www.serbiaembusa.org/serbia.php

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

USSG Inc (United States Sporting Goods Incorporated), a subsidiary of EAA Corp (European American Armory Corporation), is the current importer for Zastava rifles, here’s a link to their website page showing the rifle models available:
http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg6.pdf

I would suggest that inquiries for the availability of left handed rifles and actions be directed to USSG Inc.

I believe Midway USA and a few other online sites are still awaiting receipt of Zastava actions so perhaps they could be pestered for left hand actions also.

I’ve not seen the full Zastava Arms receiver stamping but it can’t be worse that some of the current gaudy stampings on US firearms. Can anyone from Europe click a photograph of the action markings and post for viewing?

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Gentlemen,

USSG Inc (United States Sporting Goods Incorporated), a subsidiary of EAA Corp (European American Armory Corporation), is the current importer for Zastava rifles, here’s a link to their website page showing the rifle models available:
http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg6.pdf

I would suggest that inquiries for the availability of left handed rifles and actions be directed to USSG Inc.

I believe Midway USA and a few other online sites are still awaiting receipt of Zastava actions so perhaps they could be pestered for left hand actions also.

I’ve not seen the full Zastava Arms receiver stamping but it can’t be worse that some of the current gaudy stampings on US firearms. Can anyone from Europe click a photograph of the action markings and post for viewing?

I emailed them at USSG@EAACorp.com

Frank

One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Thanks for emailing them. I'm interested in one of these in 375 or 458 as well.

Thanks!

Adam

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are importing a double rifle.
http://www.ussginc.com/pdfs/catalogpg7.pdf

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I hope these do become available again. When Charles Daly was offering them they were fantastic bargains. I bought two of them for under $500 total! I'd be happy to find just one at that price now. I need to get one more to complete my LH mauser collection. I have one in 35 whelen. Another being built now in 7x57. I'd like to do one more in 416 Ruger.

I think Remington really dropped the ball when they imported these. The first thing they dis was raise the price.....they did not offer actions or barreled actions...and they never brought in Left handed guns. I had even contacted Zasatava a few years back about this. They said they never stopped making them, but that Remington was not interested in importing any. A shame.

Maybe now it will work out for the best and we will be able to pick these up again at fair prices.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Bad news folks.

I received this reply to my email inquiring about left handed rifles, actions and barreled actions.

Sir,

We do not carry the left handed version , I to am left handed and look forward to the day that we carry a left handed gun . , but I do not see this happening anytime soon.

Thank You

That's not the response that I was looking for.

Frank

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Why would it be so hard to get a special order together and submit it through them? What kind of minimum order would it require? These guns are available in Europe. Are they all spoken for? Seems to me that it would be a simple matter of selling a few quick rifles if actions alone are not available. What am I missing here? There is a demand....there is a supply...lets fill the need. We are happy. The importer makes money. And Zastava makes money. Do they make distributors sign up for a set amount to be delivered every year?

Why is this so hard???? Confused

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Iron Buck,
All good questions. I posted in the medium bore section asking if any Europeans or Russians ever seen these actions in left hand and not one response back.
Getting the impression they are almost as rare over there as they are here.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

I have a friend from Germany that works here in the states. He is an avid hunter and shooter. Both here and in Germany. I had him inquire about left handed Zastavas at his local Bavarian gunshop. They could get an entire rifle, no actions or barreled actions for about $1000 US. Pretty steep for what they sold for here. Not sure if this was due to taxes or just the current exchange rate. This was about 7 months ago. So they are available at least.

I just think that in todays firearm market. With lots of competition for a shrinking base market......if I were a salesman working on commission, or a manufacturer trying to raise market share, I'd be ALL OVER the left hand opportunity. But then...I think many sales people are just that...salesman. They would be equally passionate about selling toasters as they would firearms. Which means they probably do not visit websites like this. Or understand the potential for some instant market share increases and money in there pocket as a result.

I wonder if Midway, who has Right hand Zastava actions on there website as "available soon" would be interested if they were approached for a request of 30, 50 or 100 actions? At the right hand prices I'd be good for (2) actions. One magnum and one standard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when they were charles daly's i was able to buy a bunch of left handed ones for less than 300 and action which i eventually sold off. i am an ffl and have also imported several firearms from out of the country. it was not a pleasant experience. as i posted above if some one is looking to bear the brunt of the aggravation i would gladly buy multiples if the price is right.

last i looked the fellow in new york selling the left handed mini actions still had some and he wasn't getting a big premium for them. i don't think there really is a big immediate market for the left handed actions.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My email back to USSG:

Sir,

First of all, thank you for your quick response and although it was not the answer that I was looking for, I appreciate your attention.

I realize that left handed Zastava models are not currently in your company's plans but is there a possibility that if someone could get a large order together for either complete LH rifles, LH barreled actions or bare LH actions that USSG might consider ordering them from Zastava?

Assuming that we could guaranty a minimum order large enough to interest both companies, what size of an order might be required? 20 units, 50 units, 100 units, etc.

Thank you for your time,

Frank XXXXXXXX

Frank

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Frank

Looks Great! tu2 I guess now we'll see if that will perk there interest. For me I will take (2) actions....or Rifles if I have to get them that way. I am sure I could find at least two or three others to go in.....say maybe 5 units total. That would be a start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank after reading the E-mail you received I sent a E-mail to USSG. Here is there response.
quote:
Sir,

We will not be importing the left handed version.

Everyone here needs to start carpet bombing them with E-mails. I need a 458. So lets get this started today.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
CDNN Investments has the right handed Zastava's on sale for $399 (308, 7 Mag, 300 WM), the laminate 375H&H and 458s for $499 and the Satin Deluxe Remington 798 Safari Specials in 375 for $599.

Frank