New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 LH 25-06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in the market for a LH (edit)25-06. Obviously a rare chambering for those of us that shoot backwards. After some research, I found that Savage, Sako and Ruger all offer one. What can anybody tell me about the Ruger action and a Ruger rifle in general? Are there any known "tweaks" that I should have done by a gunsmith if I happen to buy one?

Posts: 486 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Assume you mean 25-06....Ruger makes a nice rifle. Some shoot better than others buth that is no different than any other make. The only problems I have ever had with them is poor trigger and the ring spacing prevents scopes from being mounted close enough to my eye. Both issues are easily fixed.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigger is an easy fix. I gave my smith $40 and he returned a 3lb trigger with no creep and no over travel. I am so impressed with the Ruger I recently built up that I am considering another in 06.
The one I just completed is a SS Mark II with Lilja barrel in 338 WM in a McMillan stock. Feeds flawlessly and shoots better than me. It carries a 2.5 x 8 Leupold VX III

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Trigger is an easy fix. I gave my smith $40 and he returned a 3lb trigger with no creep and no over travel. I am so impressed with the Ruger I recently built up that I am considering another in 06.
The one I just completed is a SS Mark II with Lilja barrel in 338 WM in a McMillan stock. Feeds flawlessly and shoots better than me. It carries a 2.5 x 8 Leupold VX III

Snowwolfe,
I guess I need to go handle one at the gun store and see how it feels. What about bolt throw? After owning a Weatherby Accumark and a Browning A-bolt, I was surprised at the amount of bolt throw on the Sako I played with. Did you mount your scope using the Ruger rings or did you drill and tap for a different style of scope mount?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the Ruger supplied medium rings. I think I would of been better off with low's but didnt think it was worth the wait to switch them out. Ruger has to have the best factory scope mounting system on a production rifle. Free rings that are super sturdy and no bases required.
Now I understand why Jeffeosso likes Rugers as much as he does.
For the price they are remarkable. Plus the bottom metal is way better than a factory Win 70. I have heard some people complain about how stock rifles shoot but I am not much for accuracy standards. On any hunting rifle I use for big game I can accept 1.5 MOA with no heartburn. Of course after adding a Lilja and a McMillan and a custom trigger and metal work I expect and did receive a rifle that can shoot better than me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,
You and I talked about building a 375 H&H rifle using a MRC action on another post. I was thinking of building one for a 25-06 as well, but now I'm thinking I'll use a Ruger M77 as a base for the 25-06. Add a barrel and stock and I'm probably slightly cheaper then building one from scratch with the MRC action.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
I'm in the market for a LH (edit)25-06. Obviously a rare chambering for those of us that shoot backwards.

I bought a lefty Browning Stainless Stalker in 25/06 back in 1990. It's one of my favorite rifles. Saw one on gunbroker recently that sold for about $500.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gsganzer:
Snowwolfe,
You and I talked about building a 375 H&H rifle using a MRC action on another post. I was thinking of building one for a 25-06 as well, but now I'm thinking I'll use a Ruger M77 as a base for the 25-06. Add a barrel and stock and I'm probably slightly cheaper then building one from scratch with the MRC action.

GS,
I ordered a Hein 375 H&H and it should be completed by the end of the year (I hope). But I did put together a MRC SS 458 Lott. It is in a Winchester Supergrade McMillan stock and I am waiting for the Leupold 1.5 x 5 with the German #4 post to arrive.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the LH Ruger 25-06 But sure wish Ruger would not put a magnum profile barrel on the
25-06.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let us all pray Ruger will make a leftie rifle with there new 375 chambering coming out next year. cheers