ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for the argentinian members....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
It's true that the 6,5 mm caliber is no longer the minimun valid caliber for hunting big game in your country???

Someone told me that the 257 Weatherby is no longer legal for big game, so I asume that also the 6,5x68 was banned for big game hunting ???

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: in fact these good calibers never were legal here. The minimum is 7 mm. That´s of course foolish, but the law of the land. Our representatives don´t know an iota about guns, big game and so forth. By the way, I´ve never seen somebody punished for using a lesser caliber, you´ll know that our peasants shoot anything with the 22 Long Rifle. How´s your baby?
Un abrazo

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Sorry my friend, but the minimum legal caliber in your country has always been the 6,5 caliber and with 140 grains bullets as the minimum weight... Razzer

The baby well thank you, the problem is his father that doesn't remember what was like sleeping the whole night..... CRYBABY

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Extracted from the law:

ARTICULO 43º.- Se permitirá solamente el empleo de armas largas de cañón rayado y de repetición manual, así también como las de disparo simple (de carga tiro a tiro) . El diámetro del proyectil no podrá ser inferior a 6,5 milímetros o calibre 264. El largo de la vaina de los cartuchos no podrá ser menor a 53 milímetros. Los proyectiles deberán tener como mínimo nueve (9) gramos de peso (140 granos o grains) y ser semiblindados, de punta blanda, hueca o de otro sistema expansivo. Está prohibido el uso de puntas blindadas, sólidas o de guerra. Está autorizado el uso de munición deportiva calibre 30 SW, (7,62 NATO o T-65) de 51 milímetros de largo de vaina. Están autorizadas, asimismo, las municiones deportivas llamadas "magnum" siempre que el peso del proyectil no sea menor de nueve (9) gramos (140 granos o grains) y su vaina tenga un largo no inferior a los 51 milímetros

Lorenzo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: are you quoting an article from the "Reglamento de Parques Nacionales" or something like that?. This is an awful mess from the very beginning, a law which nobody knows and nobody enforces. I´ve tried today to phone the Registro Nacional de Armas and no one answers, of course. Some years ago, I asked the then President of the Safari Club, local Chapter, Dr. Martinez de Hoz about this very subject. He told me what I´ve written. Where did you get your info?. Ah, regarding your misssing sleep ...have a seat, my grandaughter is 2 1/2 years old and never slept a whole night Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
You are correct, I quote it from the National Parks Reglamentation. I think that if they allowed the 6,5 no one can have any problem using that caliber bewildered

Also I remember reading some articles about a famous argentinian gunsmith Mr Tomassini (or something similar) talking about one of his favourite red stag calibers, the 6,5-06.

Anyhow...I think the 6,5x68 with those long 140 grains pills must be a great stag caliber for the mountains !!! thumb

Please, if you discover something about the 6,5 being allowed or not let me know.

Un abrazo
L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, While I know nothing of the hunting laws and rule of Argentina, I know that many Europeans settled there especially Germans around the 1940s. I have a German hunting license and have hunted in Germany. While I hunted and killed a Chamois with one shot from a 25-06 using a 100 grain Remington core lock a minimum caliber of 6.5mm with a minimum amount of jouiles of energy is required for big game (which is just about everything bigger than a Roe deer). The problem is that a 25-06 and a 257 Weatherby are 6.2 mm in size and do not meet the requirements of the 6.5mm size. Someday I home to hunt in Argentina and eat a lot of their famous beef. I am sure I would also enjoy being in Uruguay for a hunt or vacation. I am sure my Germany wife would as she is always ready for a vacation to a new location. Weidmansheil

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hijack Army Aviator ... I have hunted in Uruguay three times now. beer From tiny doves to massive water buffalo ... I can say that their beef is also fabulous.. and the folks there are second to none !!! They are the best ! The men do say that the ladies from Argentina are incredibly beautiful, however. And in my brief stays at the airport in Buenos Aires seems to not only uphold that belief .. but perhaps even classify it as a bit of an understatement. Smiler O.K. Guys .. back to calibres and such .. sofa

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
You are correct, I quote it from the National Parks Reglamentation. I think that if they allowed the 6,5 no one can have any problem using that caliber bewildered

Also I remember reading some articles about a famous argentinian gunsmith Mr Tomassini (or something similar) talking about one of his favourite red stag calibers, the 6,5-06.

Anyhow...I think the 6,5x68 with those long 140 grains pills must be a great stag caliber for the mountains !!! thumb

Please, if you discover something about the 6,5 being allowed or not let me know.

Un abrazo
L

My friend Lorenzo,

The federal law states that a cartridge intended for big-game hunting, must comply with two conditions at once : Confused

Having a bullet diameter of or above 6mm AND able to produce a ME of at least 2400 foot/pounds... Big Grin

In fact, this is very absurd...for example, this rules out the venerable .243 Winchester, a very good and sensible choice for varmints and antelope, among other game.

In fact, I wrote a letter and a full ballistics explanattion (including a complete chart to show how ridiculous this standard is.

Of course, Mr. Joe Martinez de Hoz, never answered... clap

Remember BOTH categories should be reached at ONCE.

So, in short, your .264 is OK

Please let me know of your plans and maybe we can have a nice time together hunting this side of the pond.

Gus

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: I´ve checked last Friday with the Local Chapter of the Safari Club. They think that no changes were made and that the 6.5 is still very legal.
Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo
en el Sur uso un 6,5-06 sin problemas con Parques Nacionales, está admitido.
Previo, la persona que mencionan como autor de un artículo relacionado con este calibre es Don Francisco Tomasian, socio "viejo" del Tiro Federal de Nuñez y coleccionista de más de trescientas cabezas de ciervo cazadas por el y su esposa. Considero que en nuestro país no hay otra persona que conozca como él, este excelente calibre.
Héctor

Posts: 328 | Location: San Martin de los Andes, Argentina | Registered: 01 May 2001Reply With Quote