Notify
Tools

ARGENTIA OR NEWZELAND?
 Login/Join

<firemen>
posted
Who has the bigger stags?

posted Hide Post
New Zealand, by far. Compare the entries in the SCI Record Book.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might be interested in checking out this gent. I met Shane at the Detroit SCI and spent some time with him in the evenings. He is a hell of a nice guy and from what I can see runs a top notch hunt. My little group of hunters is planning on going next year as this season is all in Africa.
www.alpinehunting.com

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sorry to say those stags are from behind the wire fence and fed on sterids and the prices are extreme to say the least
regards daniel

Posts: 1478 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daniel. Could you give me some more info. PM me if you want to. I would be interested in what you know. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M 98:
fed on sterids

Yep... Those antlers are impressive but don't look 100% natural to me [Roll Eyes] ...

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I can't believe...
In tree days they guarantee you a trophy stag, not less than 14 points, long legs, beautiful hair...... [Big Grin]

Sorry I couln't resist [Big Grin]

Mike,
Do you want a real hunt? contact me.

Firemen,
I still don't know your name... [Smile]

Cheers
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, Yes I am and I will be in touch. Thanks
I find it interesting the different ways things are portrayed. In discussing the hunt we looked at a video. There was no indication of fencing anywhere. Camera shots can be very selective however. There was no mention of any guarantee of success and we were talking about a 7 day hunt. There certainly was no mention of steroids etc. This is why it is important for everyone to share all the information they have. It is often difficult to get a true picture without having to invest the time and money only to find out it wasnt what you wanted. All of us sharing our experiences good and bad enable everyone to have a better hunt. Thanks to all.

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Are we talking New Zealand? I have seen a couple of videos of hunts. They show some rather panoramic shots for good vantage points. If you accept that you are seeing where they were actually hunting, it is at the least relatively unfenced. Certainly there were no high "game" fences in view.

Since I saw these videos I've been thinking about a NZ hunt myself. There are other considerations but a fair chase hunt is a requirement.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
because i�m thinking about Thar and chamois hunting in NZ (and do have a NZ friend there), i already have informed myself some time ago.Not for reds..but i heared a lot above it.
The real hugh stags are feeded on private land, and the hunting-companies pay a lot of money to the landowner that they wiil look "after their red�s".
I have seen a video too, and can�t say that i saw something like a fence,...but maybe they use only "cattle runs", "those steel sticks with space between each stick" which can be found if u enter a farm.
Anyhow, the trophys that are taken in the free wilderness can�t be compared to the red�s you mentioned above.
small info on NZ:
Maybe u don�t know, but the DOC is poisining a lot of reds and sikas and fallows( since years)..because they think they have t o much of it [Confused] . They use, 1080 , a poison that they throw out of the airplanes and the deers will eat it by feeding the green plants [Mad] .
And maybe another interetsing point, NZ have started culling Thars out of choppers...in the mountains, because they want to safe a special kind of flower , that seems to be the first choice of the thars (like candy for them ).

And regarding the prices,..i think NZ is one of the highest priced areas, beside Argentina.
If u will make it to europe...go to Hungary , or Bulgaria.
e.g.: some prices,
trophy fees only:
HUNGARY
red stags
8 kg = 2.792� (�= Euro, that u can convert 1:1 to US $)
9 Kg = 3.758�
10 = 5315�
from 11,0KG= 8.321� + 38 � per 100g over 11KG

Ukraine:
10,00KG = 4.260�

danish outfitter: maybe u also find some pic�s there too
www.diana.dk

Because i�m a student i haven�t the money to go for the hugh trophies, but believe me....8KG are not the same like 8 KG..it depends on the blood line of the species.

Nothing fenced...real wild animals with real big trophies.
For my point of view the weight of the trophie isn�t that important. When it looks nice,...it doesn�t matter if it weight�s 6 or 12 kg.

Hope i given u some new info�s
cheers
konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Firemen,

Argentina (my country) is full of Red Stags.

There are two primary hunting areas, your choice is the mountains range in the southwest (Los Andes, Patagonia) or La Pampa (sloped, bush country)

Certainly, our game is free ranging, and game management, is almost non existent, except in some private ranches.

Cost is another issue. As a foreigner, probably they will charge you high dollars for a nice trophy, including accomodations and all.

Please let me know if I can help more.

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
<firemen>
posted
Lorenzo my name is Dave Comiskey good to meet you.Gustavo I not sure were I am going yet BUT I AM GOING.I have noticed that there are 2 prices and for any one fOR the USA its alot more.For some reason every one thinks every one from the USA is rich.NOT SO.Most of us are just hard working stifts. Me I LIKE running in to burning bluildings IT dont pay alot but its a rush.Ill find some one. I am looking at a few right now.If you know any please let me know.THANKS.

<rws2>
posted
Fireman,
You might want to look at www.cabelas.com in Outdoor Aventures (search thru the hunts,they make it all easy),they book hunts in Argentina and New Zealand.Almost guarenteed a reputable outfitter.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Guys - whilst I cant offer any information on Argentina I can offer some suggestions about my home bit of dirt .

Yes , you can hunt animals in an enclosure here , if thats your thing . You can also hunt on land that has resident animals that are tended and fed to produce acceptable trophy heads . You can also hunt like real men and go into the publicly owned ares and find the animal on its home turf.

There are numerous hunting guides offering all sorts of game animals to suit all pockets . The one thing in our favour is the exchange rate - as at today the NZ dollar is worth 55 US cents - your trip is half priced in relation to the US dollar value .

Yes , our beloved Department of Conservation is culling chamois and tahr from helicopters - but only on public land . There are thousands of hectares of privately owned land that have these animals on them , the total number killed is not going to affect the future of these animals to the point of extermination.

Yes , our beloved Dept of Conservation does use Sodium Mono Flouroacetate ( 1080 ) poison , mainly in the control of the Australian possum , for the purpose of saving our forests and indigenous birdlife from destruction at the hands of these nocturnal pests . A single possum will eat some five kilograms of foliage a night , multiply that by the millions of possums in the country and you see the scale of the problem . 1080 is not the most politically correct poison , but it sure is the most cost effective at present . There is a very minor usage of poison to control deer and wild pig populations , but most of the deer/pig deaths are a result of the animal eating the carrot bait used for possum control. Since we are an agricultural economy we also must combat Bovine Tuberculosis , which is carried by the possum , and certainly found in the feral deer and pig populations .

So, form your own opinions. We can also offer polical stability, the English language - well , our version of it - some pretty cool scenery and some excellant game trophies .

Anyone serious about hunting here can pm me for some websites and other details . I dont have a stake in the hunting industry , I just dont care much for misinformation... [Smile]

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fireman,
I just hunted Argentina last September and I can assure you that it is fantastic. I have hunted on 5 continents and Ar. is one of the best places I've hunted. Contact John Airala at www.SportingDestinations.com He has the most affordable hunts for Red Stag and several other deer species. Food and accomodations are superb and you can hunt Free Range or High Fence whichever you prefer. A sample of his prices are 7 days 1 Red Stag, 1 Blackbuck, and 1 Boar for $2300. I took a huge Buffalo, Gold Medal Blackbuck, and a Good Axis while there. To give you an idea of the service, we came in from Boar hunting at 3 AM and a steak dinner was waiting with an elaborate dessert. They appreciate your business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye,

I am interested in hunting with the outfitter you mention. Could you email me? I would like to ask some questions about the hunt.

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John the Greek, You have a PM with my e-mail address

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I'm with Konst(#1).
The only suggestion I can, and want, give is to explore also Romanian hunting offers, and eventually Siberian offers, where are present red deers and Marals. I've seen a French video on Siberian hunt and trophies were superb, the hunt very binding (I hope that the expression binding is correct) and hard.

I want to hunt only native animals, and Argentine and NZ red deers are not native. If I want to hunt a grizzly or a pronghorn, I should go to U.S.A., if I want to hunt african plains game I should go to one of Austral African countries and so on.

Red Deers are European, choose one of the countries that offers good trophies or good hunts (it is not always the same) and enjoy our old good continent

bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote