Notify
Tools

Arizona~ Coues white-tailed deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted
Coues white-tailed deer. (O.v. couesi)

Named in honor of American army surgeon, ornithologist, and naturalist, Elliott Coues. 1842-1899.
Pronounced "cows"

Hunt location: Central Arizona, public land
Outfitter/guide: Self
Dates: January 3 to 9, 2016
Method: Archery, Spot & Stalk

Posts: 2928 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Wow Man! The desert is beautiful!

I don't even need any written details, the photos say it all.

Congrats! I've only briefly considered bow hunting the desert for deer and immediately discarded the notion as I don't think I could ever actually finish the deal. Getting that close to an animal as elusive as an Arizona Coues deer is exceptional. Well done my Man.

Posts: 9087 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful scenery, very nice pictures! Im really impressed you could stalk those crafty little deer with a bow, congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's their typical diet out there ?
Scenary is wonderfull .Reminds me when we subscribed to" Arizona Highways "

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Ty.

However, try as I might, I just can't bring myself to call them "Cows" deer. I and all of my hunting buddies have called them "Cooz" deer for all of the close-to-seven decades we've hunted them. I guess I'm stubborn. Until someone pats the ground above me with a shovel, I'll continue to call 'em that.

Elliott may be their namesake, but as far as I can tell he only hunted them once, and that was down by Tumacacori where the type specimen was collected.

Congratulations again.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great photos and a very nice buck.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Love the photos and a great trophy with a bow! Congrats and well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks for the nice comments and congrats!

Scott, the desert is particularly beautiful right now because we have been blessed with 3 unusually wet seasons (summer, fall, winter) in a row this year. It has barely made a dent in our 17 year long drought, but, a dent none the less.
Hey, I think you should come and give this hunt a go with your bow. The non-permit tags are over the counter, and although the opportunities aren't exactly endless, they are here. Once you're here it's a pretty cheap date so to speak if you do it yourself. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and point you in the right direction if the interest crosses your path again.

Señor Maldonado, gracias.
I will admit that there was a bit of luck involved too. The rut is in full swing here right now and this particular buck's attention was absolutely focused on beating up a little tree. It has been my experience in the past that these bucks won't loiter too long at a rub, but, in this case he did. After spotting him I managed to quickly and quietly work my way to exactly 20 yards before taking the shot. Lucky me! Smiler

mete,
These diminutive deer are mainly browsers. Like their eastern cousins, they have a long list of different things they like to eat. They will move from one source to another as the seasons change. Interestingly, they will eat the ripened fruits of several of the cacti that I have posted pictures of in this thread.
For a comprehensive list of their favored foods I would highly recommend a book written by two gentlemen by the names of Duwane Adams and Tony Mandile (Tony is a member here on AR). The book entitled "How to Hunt COUES DEER", is a very valuable resource.
Oh, and mete, yes "Arizona Highways" is a fantastic publication/magazine that Arizonan's are very proud of.

Bill Quimby,
Thanks buddy, I appreciate it.
Like you, I hunt with others who stubbornly Big Grin cling to the "cooz" handle. Ironically, one or two of them will jump like their pants are on fire to correct anyone who dare to utter phrases like Elk "horns" or "Canadian" geese...
Me, I'm more of a live and let live sort. But, facts are important. So, "cows" it is for me. Wink

Mario and bwanamrm,
Thanks fellows, I'm happy you enjoyed the photos.

Folks, if you enjoyed the landscapes posted in this thread, you might also enjoy the report I posted in the Bird Shooting Forum here on
AR entitled "Gambel's quail"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I have tried to hunt them three times without luck. Maybe I will have a lucky fourth hunt.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Coues with a bow... They said it was impossible. They said wrong. Great job!

And the desert pics rock!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Samir and Jack!

Samir, best of luck with the fourth hunt.
The proverb "...If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try, again" is good inspiration when hunting these little deer. Persistence pays!

Jack, Ha! Big Grin It's not impossible. Just a tough nut to crack. Of course making a little luck and having a little luck is good too.

Thanks again fellas.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the pictures. Nicely done with the bow!

Posts: 225 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 08 May 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done indeed.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! tu2

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Great report. Congratulations on a nice buck!

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Congrats
That is one of the hardest earned archery hunts in NA.
Impressive!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
Coues with a bow... They said it was impossible. They said wrong. Great job!

And the desert pics rock!

+1, I'm very impressed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crafty, Savvy, Sneaky Bugger aint Ya? shocker
Well Done!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos and a worthy trophy. I smiled when I saw the "South African Blend" spice!!

JCHB

Posts: 412 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done with a bow!

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE