Find
Notify
Tools

IA Whitetail Down with Muzzleloader...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I just got to hunt at a real whitetail Icon's place in IA. My friend Bill Winke allowed me to muzzleloader hunt his place this year, and the first afternoon on Winke's recomendation, I took the first mature buck I had a chance at. Bill told me that the buck's weren't moving much after the rut, and it could be tough.

I love big 8 pointers, and this 150" 4 1/2 half year old gave me about a 70 yard shot, and I took it.

The next evening, I went out to shoot a doe, and guess what? In the exact same spot that I killed my buck, a 170"+ slick 10-pointer stepped out and fed for 15 minutes!!! Oh well, we make our choices...

It was a super hunt, and I really appreciate Bill letting me hunt his farm...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I need a better class of friends. If I shot a 170" deer off of a 'friends' place I'd be afraid he'd shoot me!!

Congrats on a beauty. Where is all of that snow IA is famous for?

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have the snow in the Northwest part of the state and I would bet there is snow where this picture was taken now.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
yes - 4" of snow overnight and 8-12" predicted by tomorrow. I may never get a flight home!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Tim, Outstanding 8 pt!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Tim...my god you are going to have a crazy taxidermy bill this year!!! What do you think the wife will say to that?? lolAwesome 8pt.

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful buck. Congratulations.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome 8 point Tim, your having a good year.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1227 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote