Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Hunt in SD, WY or CO
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sherrill Philip Neese
posted
My dad (76) and I (51) are going on a trip to South Dakota, southern Wyoming, and Colorado during August to relive old memories and just have some fun hanging out together.

Last year we went elk hunting. Next year we are going to Africa. This year we would like to try hunting Buffalo. We are looking for an inexpensive place to do some Buffalo hunting in any of these states during the end of August. We are basically meat hunters and want a simple hunt with friendly people who know a lot about these majestic animals. We are not looking for a trophy hunt or some arduous and/or complicated adventure.

If the hunt takes several days, that is ok. Our needs are simple... clean/comfortable accommodations, good food, good coffee and friendly conversation. :-)

If you know of place that fits the above and that you are willing to recommend, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sherrill Philip

DSC, DU, MBS, NRA, QDMA, RGS, RMEF, SCI

"Sherrill. Why do you belong to so many organizations?"
"Well... I have this thing for banquets."

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Go to the Triple U ranch near Pierre SD. It was where Dances with Wolves was filmed and will give you an authentic atmosphere and comfortable stay.

http://www.cabelas.com/trips-0...bison_triu.jsp.shtml

Also see my previous post for pictures

http://forums.accuratereloadin...=168101318#168101318

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

That is a great writeup. The hunt looked like it would be a lot of fun.

I sent them an email to see if they can schedule a hunt during August.

We shall see.

Thanks for the information.

Sherrill

(Edited for poor english) :-)

Posts: 115 | Location: Millersville, MD | Registered: 09 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you have a pm

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sherrill,
A lot of the ranches don't even take on clients for a buff hunt until end of October at the earliest, most hunts are conducted Dec-Feb, best of luck.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've also hunted bison on the triple u ranch near pierre, s.d. and would highly recommend it.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sherrill Philip Neese:
My dad (76) and I (51) are going on a trip to South Dakota, southern Wyoming, and Colorado during August to relive old memories and just have some fun hanging out together.

Last year we went elk hunting. Next year we are going to Africa. This year we would like to try hunting Buffalo. We are looking for an inexpensive place to do some Buffalo hunting in any of these states during the end of August. We are basically meat hunters and want a simple hunt with friendly people who know a lot about these majestic animals. We are not looking for a trophy hunt or some arduous and/or complicated adventure.

If the hunt takes several days, that is ok. Our needs are simple... clean/comfortable accommodations, good food, good coffee and friendly conversation. :-)

If you know of place that fits the above and that you are willing to recommend, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sherrill Philip
I subscribed to a cabellas trophy bison hunt and learned the old bulls are only good for burger that doesn't taste that good.Friends of mine only shoot bulls less than 2.5 years or cows for the best eating.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that. The problem you will encounter is the August date. Once the buffalo is shot, there is a mad dash to get it shipped to the locker plant before there is any meat loss. We did this in October weather, which was hot. I cannot imagine trying to do it in August. Most outfitters want to hunt these Buf in Nov, Dec, and Jan because of the cold weather and also because the buf are haired out better in the cold weather.

Good luck with August.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello!

Sorry to take so long with my reply, but, to make a long story short, my dad and I had to do A LOT of "coordinating" with our respective households to make the hunt happen. What we thought would be a simple trip turned out to be a tad "complicated". However, we prevailed and we are now going on a meat hunt at the Triple U ranch on 26 August. Life is good!

I talked with Kaye and she was very nice to deal with. We had to change the date three times, due to "coordinating", but she didn't blink an eye. I really appreciated her understanding. Anyway, we are going to get a tour of the ranch, have the hunt for a young bull or a cow, help with dealing with the animal, watch how they deal with everything, drink coffee and talk buffalo. This is definitely looking to be a good time.

After we get done with the hunt, we get another nights lodging and then it is off to Colorado for some touring and hanging out with the buds at Elk Camp. Life is good! Cool

Thanks everybody for your help and information!

Sherrill Philip