New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nepal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone hunted in Nepal? Any recommended outfitters there? I've heard about Himalayan Safaris, but haven't got any references.

Many thanks!

Regards,
Bharal76

Posts: 136 | Location: Madrid - Spain | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Bharal76

There were 2 outfitters in Nepal, T.J. Thapa of Nepal wildlife adventures and M. Busnyat of Himalayan Safaris.

I am not sure if Thapa is still conducting hunts but Busnyat is supposed to be very good, unfortunately my information is secondhand as I have not hunted in Nepal.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, Aziz. I'll try to contact them.

Regards!

Regards,
Bharal76

Posts: 136 | Location: Madrid - Spain | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Himalayan Safaris about 15 years ago and ahd a wonderful hunt.A great adventure.........

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What animals can be hunted in Nepal?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Primarily blue sheep (bharal). Maybe also ghoral and another of the small chamois-like mountain dwellers (I forget the name).

Hunting is very high altitude, tough terrain. One treks into the hunting area, it is supposedly a big adventure, but you have to be in shape to consider this option.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Thanks for the answer

quote:
... it is supposedly a big adventure, but you have to be in shape to consider this option.

Was this last bit aimed at me Wink

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No it wasn't, actually. Why, did you think you fit the bill? Wink

In any event, the comment about being in shape was made, because this is probably one of the tougher hunts in the world. Just the altitude alone is a bit of a killer. Marco Polo is also hunted at very high altitude - e.g. in Tadjikistan (sp?) - but on those hunts, you are mostly moving around by car, and glass and stalk away from the car. On other high altitude hunts (Kirgistan springs to mind), the hunter can benefit from the use of horses. In Nepal, none of these things are the case, and the terrain is supposedly tough, tough, tough.

In any event, I'm sure I have some articles about hunting in Nepal somewhere. Come up to my house, and we'll rummage through the various books for stuff to read.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I walked 200 miles in Nepal once, it was real hard, spent a lot of time tripping over my tongue. Hate to think what hunting would be like.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.

Posts: 301 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bharal76,

Northern Nepal which is where the best hunting is is a very unsafe place with a major rebellion fighting the royal government. Though no foreigners have been taken hostage or injured yet, it could be very dicey there with a near civil war going on. You may be better off looking at one of the Central Asian countries instead if you want to hunt sheep.

Cheers!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
As fas as I know there is no hunting going on in Nepal at present....

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to everyone thumb

Regards,
Bharal76