New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chamois Hunt in France
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just returned from a great hunt in the Pyrenees of southern France. This is my first post with pics so if I mess them up, I'll have Arjun post them.

Booking Agent: Arjun Reddy (saw the hunt offered here on AR)
Outfitter: Renaud Degrees du Lou (Seladang)
Guides: Erwan de Foucher & Jean Luc Planes
Species: Pyrenean Chamois

I arrived in Paris where Renaud met me and made sure I caught the correct train. Missed a connecting train, but my 7th grade French and some friendly train agents got me to Narbonne late that night where Erwan was waiting to pick me up. We had a two hour drive to Saillagouse and our very comfortable hotel for a short sleep before heading out the first morning.

Our local guide Jean Luc was also owner of the hotel and a certified professional chef so we ate quite well on this hunt. Jean Luc and Erwan did a great job and we connected on a nice chamois the third morning. The hunt was challenging but lots of chamois in the area.

The last afternoon I had a chance at a mouflon but missed what should have been an easy shot. That's ok, gives me a good excuse to return. Everything was well organized and went smoothly other than some poor shooting on my part. This would be a great place to take the wife for a vacation/hunt.

Planes Hotel in Saillagouse

Sunrise in the Pyrenees

Erwan Glassing for Chamois

Pyrenean Chamois with Jean Luc

Chamois Tag

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas & Kuwait | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done... great hunt, great location, great report!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7530 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil! Looks like a very nice hunt.

Posts: 114 | Location: Germany | Registered: 18 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tres bien!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M,

It was a pleasure to have you hunt with us. Look forward to having you back one of these days for the rest of what France offers.

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: 845 259 3628

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil!

A ice report. Thank you.

A long walk to get to the hunting area? Steep?

Cheers all
Vegard_dino

Posts: 316 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 08 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first two days involved a lot of hiking and climbing. The area we hunted on the third day had a road to the top of mountain. Thought we had it easy that day until we had to make a quick climb after a mouflon ram at last light. There are enough chamois there that someone not in the best condition could get one.

Posts: 42 | Location: Texas & Kuwait | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats,
Brings back memory's from long ago. There a very cool little animal.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil mymur on a good Chamois. I see Erwan is staying busy, I did a "vacation with my wife" and hunted a few days for Roebucks with him last July not too far from there.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote