ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    BISON HUNT WITH A COUPLE OF INFAMOUS CHARACTERS

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BISON HUNT WITH A COUPLE OF INFAMOUS CHARACTERS
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As many of you know Lon Paul is one of America's premier gun builders and I'm privileged to call him my friend. In one of our long winded conversation about a project I was thinking about Lon asked if I could find him a bison hunt. Lon did not want to a hunt were you drive out into the pasture an assassinate a bull but a hunt where he could do some walking and stalking with his Sharps.

Joe Robison ravenr on AR was one of the first people I met in Cody when Sadie and I moved down from Alaska in '04. He lived just down the Lane from me and we became friends. I sent Joe and his wife on their first safari and Joe and I have successfully collaborated on some projects in the West and Mexico so Joe was the first person I thought of for Lon's bison hunt. I knew Joe had a friend in New Mexico that had a buffalo herd that spent most of its time up on top of a 4,000 acre mesa. Joe and I talked about Lon's desire for the buffalo hunt and we agreed that the New Mexico hunt was just what he wanted and would allow the experience to be as much of a hunt as possible.

Joe contacted Lon and made a plan for Lon to meet Joe and I at the ranch in New Mexico. I was along as the designated kitchen bitch, skinner and to take a meat bull for myself. Lon showed up as planned and the next day we drove up onto the mesa. Lon an Joe bailed out on foot and about 3 hours later we heard a shot. Lon had his bull. One 500 gr hard cast bullet through the boiler room was all it took to bring down the big bull.

Lon was very happy with the whole experience. He had to wait a couple of days to allow the meat to be processed and was a big help in butchering my meat bull. He let us shoot his Sharps and it continues to surprise me what you can do with those old black powder rifles. Once his meat was processed Lon went home with literally a truck load of nice meat leaving his cape and horns with a local taxidermist to be mounted.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Details, my man, details. Where, when, caliber, load, distance? Where was the hit, did we have an exit?

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome photos.

Gees they are big.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bison. It's what's for dinner.

Wink

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I give up.. who the hell are the infamous characters?

I did a MT trophy bison hunt with a Sharps a few yrs back. I did it in the COLD Jan, though. Good eats & a nice bull on the wall to boot.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

That guy on the right ain't no guide! LMAO!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I wrote this up yesterday during the AR glitche and could not post the text. I just now did that. As for the infamous characters Lon Paul was recently mentioned as a maker of poorly operating guns even though the gun in question was not made by him. BTW I have a super nice rifle made by him and will soon have another. ravenr AKA Joe Robison is still being falsely
accused by some anonymous troll of conducting guided activities without the proper licensure. This is total BS.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpesguy,

If my memory serves me correctly the Sharpes was 45-100 using a traditional 500gr paper patch bullet at about 1300 fps. Shot was a complete through and through lung shot and the bull piled up in about 30 feet. He actually was down before Lon could reload. Distance was about 65 yards. It appeared to me that the bullet did not flatten to any degree as the entrance and exit holes were basically the same size. Quite a contrast between the Sharpes shot carcass and the smaller bull I shot with my Lon Paul 375 WBY that gave 1" entrance and 2" exit holes with huge tissue damage between.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.. Had no idea who either one was.

Not up to speed with the bullshit posts you speak of.

Anyhow, nice buff.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good to know. The Sharps shoots through and through and puts animals down quickly without a lot of meat destruction in most cases, in my experience. Thanks for the update.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very impressive animal!

Are they free range?

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Lon might have used the Rigby take-down he talked me out of while restoring it for me :-)

He's one of the best out there, particularly for those who like the lines of the old pre-war British rifles.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caracal,

The buffalo are not free range but they are not fenced up on the mesa.

Biebs,

I don't know the Rigby story but the work Lon has done for me has been flawless.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Mark,

A big bison rug is on my list of wants, but it will have to join the queue of other animals!!

Is it me or is the head on that bull really dark, or is that just how they are?

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kiri,

The heads are that dark.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
VERY INTERSTING HUNT A NICE SHARPS RIFLE .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ranch did the hunt take place? And did they offer other game?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Those two look infamous for sure with their smiles.
Wouldn't wanna meet them down by OK Corral.
Looks like great buff and fine gun Mark.
Pretty cool

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote