New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ibex and Marco Polo?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who here has hunted mid asian ibex and marco polo sheep? What can you tell me about you hunts? Did you use horses? Looks like Im going.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I think Aziz is THE man to talk with when sheep/goat hunting is in the menu.
Contact him.
Good luck
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Mike, Where are you hunting, Tajikistan or Kyrgistan? I havn't heard of anyone using horses in Tajikistan but it's common in Kyrgistan.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was at a hunting show last weekend where a guide explained the terrain is a LOT steeper in kyrgistan, but both countries have good ibex trophies (over 50 inches).
On the other hand, MP from tadjikistan have slightly longer horns (over 55).
Either way, you will be in for the hunt of a lifetime, enjoy it.
Gabe

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have only hunted MP in Tajik and the Tajiks were not particularily friendly or good hunters but would take your money and take to sheep and want you to shoot. Every hunter I have spoken with pretty much has the same story because as if understand it one klan operates the concession in the country. Kyrgistan on the other hand, from what my close hunting friends tell me, offers some real hunts with real hunters. Still, you should enjoy the adventure and opportunity while you can.
Dissappointment, after all, is a function of expectations. go with an open mind and enjoy.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Ibex in Kyrgystan last September. There were lots of Ibex, I took two rams, one 107 cm and one 117 cm. They also offered MP but I never rode over to the area where they stayed. My master hunter was an extremely learned hunter and commonly guessed eactly how the sheep would react to our presence.

I traveled by myself with very little trouble. I hunted with five people each time we rode out, the master hunter, two guides, a taxidermist, and another guy I didn't exactly understand.

I have a rather lengthly story I can email if requested.

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Boise I would appreciate the info pm sent. I am hunting in Kyrgistan. Aziz if your out there and read this your knowledge would be appreciated as well. This part of the world is a whole new experience for me. I got the opportunity to go and figured I am not getting any younger or in any better shape. The mountains will only keep getting steeper from this point on. I figure they will kick my butt anyway but I am willing to give it a go. If not now when? Big Grin

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:
Thanks guys. Boise I would appreciate the info pm sent. I am hunting in Kyrgistan. Aziz if your out there and read this your knowledge would be appreciated as well. This part of the world is a whole new experience for me. I got the opportunity to go and figured I am not getting any younger or in any better shape. The mountains will only keep getting steeper from this point on. I figure they will kick my butt anyway but I am willing to give it a go. If not now when? Big Grin

Damn good outlook! You're only defeated when you quit!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Shoemaker, can you expand on why you were dissapointed by the MP hunt?
It is a dream animal for me, and I would hate to be let down by the hunt...
Were jeeps used for most of the hunting?
Cheers
Gabe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike and Boghossian,

I read an article in the Hunting Report that the family that runs the hunting for Marco Polo in Taj. stopped on the way into the hunting camp and negotiated with the hunters for the trophy fee if the Sheep was over 54 inches. I thought that was a poor time to spring this on a hunter that had layed down 26K plus expenses and then be told if you hunt hard and kill a big ram we want another $3500 for the trophy fee. I realize they have the monopoly on the Marco Polo in Taj. but that would have really pissed me off for them to wait until they have your money and then spring a big trophy fee on you.

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye, that would really serve to debase the whole experience. I can't imagine anything worse than talking money at that late stage.
Can anybody substantiate reports that the trophy quality in parts of Tadjikistan have dropped considerably, not making it worth the premium it commands?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Mr Shoemaker, can you expand on why you were dissapointed by the MP hunt?
It is a dream animal for me, and I would hate to be let down by the hunt...
Were jeeps used for most of the hunting?
Cheers
Gabe

The Ottobek clan, from everything I can gather, still controls the Marco Polo consortiom in Tajikistan and from my experience, and those of a half dozen friends who have hunted there over the past few years, they appear to treat it as a cash cow. I have heard that trophy size is being reduced, which if it is true is most likely due to overkilling. While I was there the camp helpers brought in three rams "for meat" but I noticed the horns were carefully put away. I was told by one talkative one that they were for hunters who could not get their sheep. There was an extra "trophy fee" for the larger ones.
Also the impression I got was that they did not particularily like Americans. And yes jeeps are used a lot but to be honest not many hunters actually can hunt very long or hard at 16,000 feet without one. At least part of the time.
Now for the good news. As far as sheep hunting goes in the world it is still one of the cheapest. Especially for what you get. The country and overall experience is great and there does seem to be a lot of 52" to 56" rams. Plus, the are MARCO POLO sheep!! What else can I say.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike

I hunted in Kyrgyzstan for Mid Asian Ibex. The Tien Shan Mountains are beautiful. Who are you hunting with? It is very important that you are with reliable people.

My hunt was arranged by Harve Hollek his phone number is 715-623-3800 and e-mail is hhollek@comcast.net. Harve has a very reliable local partner; I have been there and know that they deliver.

There was no extortion but I did have to tip a government official who was with us in camp ($ 150) and in my opinion he deserved it as he did everything in his power to make our hunt pleasant and government interference free.

The Marco Polo sheep are smaller here than in Tajikistan (average 52 inches) but with the right people it will be safer and much cheaper to hunt Marco Polo and Ibex in Kyrgyzstan. The shots are going to be long so practice with a flat shooting rifle out to 400 yards. You will rarely get a shot under 300 yards

I will post some of my photos tonight.

Regards,
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a great thread.

What booking agents have you guys used? I am looking at either Kern or Cabela's. Kern claims he has the best areas.

Thoughts?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike

Here are some photos from my hunt, they did not scan well but will still warm your blood.

On our way to the Tien Shan Mountains

Riding to the base of the mountains

The Ibex was shot at around 400 yards

And here is how he looks now in my trophy room

Regards
Aziz

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Friend shot this one last year in Kyrgyzstan.
I don't know who the outfitter was.

Pic screwed up, I'll try again.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Pics won't post. will try later.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those of you who have sent me information. Sorry for taking so long to get back to this thread. The fellow I am looking at booking with is George Sevich and Eurasian Expeditions.
www.eurasionexpeditions.com
He has booked for some people that speak highly of him like Bob Foulrod. I have not yet received any negative reports although I must admit I have to renew my hunt report subscription at this point. Camps are 5 to 9 hours from Bishek in Kyrgyzstan. Hunt is from those stout little mountain horses they breed up there then of foot. I figure that is half the battle and helps to even the odds a little. Ibex are hunted somewhere between 9 and 11,000 feet. Marco Polo obviosly only go up from there. I am told 14000 is usually the starting point. Ibex are actually realtively cheap to hunt. Marco Polo of course come in a bit on the pricey side as one would imagine. Boise and Aziz thanks for the help and yes Im drooling. those critters look awesome on the wall. How many days total did you guys hunt?

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike

George is a solid and reliable person. I hunted my brown bear in Kamchatka through him. I am sure you will have a good hunt.

I got my Ibex on the third day of a 10 day hunt. I shot a second Ibex in a different area 3 days later.

Regards
Aziz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Aziz, They struck me as stand up people from my limited exposure to their organization. I have have received nothing but positive reports from the references I have checked out. I am glad to hear one from you as well. I really was surprised at how reasonable ibex are. That is certainly a fine one you took. I am starting to get excited about this. Now what to do about this out of shape flatlander body?! Roll Eyes

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this topic dead? If not, perhaps someone can help me. I'm off to Kyrgyzstan in November, to area in Tien Shan south of Naryn, with H. Hollek. Questions:
Temperatures-I'm hearing -5, but some say C, some say F. A bit of difference.
Saddles-My butt tells me to take some shearling.
Scabbard-It will add a lot to the luggage. Worth it?
Food-Any reason to take granola bars, instant cereal, etc?
What is reasonable trophy expectation? Can I rely on guide's judgment on this?
Clothing-What worked for you? Schnee boots OK?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brice, my hunt was in early September and the weather was very nice, even at 15000 ft. I carried a small day pack, work layers of fleece with a gortex over shell. The outfitter had white camo for my use but we never hunted in the snow.

My saddle was covered with a heavy blanket and was very comfortable. No saddle sores but my knees didn't hold up very well. Remember these people are born to saddles but you should feel free to get off and walk, walking helped me a lot.

I slung my rifle using a neoprene sling - a terrible idea, the rifle bounced and wore against my back. I learned to carry my rifle across my saddle between my gut and the saddle horn.

The guides packed a large lunch every day. They prefer coomus (sp?) fermented mares milk but carried meat and cheese for me. The meat was from a colt.

I told my guides that I wanted a 1 meter ram and wasn't interested in anything smaller. Offering a tip for a large ram in advance may get your guides to work harder.

Good luck!

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Boise.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote