ACCURATERELOADING.COM WORLD HUNTING REPORT FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Rest Of The World    New Year's Hunt, SE TX - Hog & Squirrels

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Year's Hunt, SE TX - Hog & Squirrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For the New Year, Marla & I went back to Bannister WMA for a late season squirrel/deer/hog hunt. In other words, we went squirrel hunting, but carried a little extra "muscle" in case a deer or hog showed (in my case, my .44 magnum Encore, and in Marla's case, her .260 Encore). I have never seen so many squirrels, and if my shooting had measured up, I would have shot a limit on Friday. I only had 21 rounds of 22 WMR ammo, and I shot it up killing only 8 squirrels. I haven't taken my 22 to the range (I sighted it in at Dad's place) and I'm not sure why I was shooting so poorly when I've shot much much better in the past with the gun. After expending my 22 WMR ammo, I converted the Contender to a 12" 17 HMR pistol and was able to shoot 5 more squirrels (Friday afternoon and Saturday morning). Saturday morning, Marla shot a 140 lb hog with her .260, sending a 120 gr XLC through its spine. Surprisingly, the bullet didn't exit, but was stopped by underside of the thick hide on the offside shoulder. The bullet was nearly 100%, with only a small part of one petal broken off (that we later found in the backstrap). I jumped up a huge boar that must have run over 300 pounds, but couldn't get a shot, juggling the 17 HMR and pulling out the 44 magnum. We had a great time, and came home with some tasty squirrels and pork.

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You and the Misses are having way to much fun!!!!

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote