Find
Notify
Tools

My dad's Mongolian report
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted
Well he made back in one piece. He was a bit bruised and battered from the trip when I saw him yesterday. He booked through global expeditions and hunted with can-asia adventures.

He obtained a nice ibex and a black tailed gazelle. He shot a huge wolf but after extensive tracking I am sad to say that it was lost. My dad was really upset at the loss and did not get another chance at a wolf. It is the only animal he has ever lost in 40+ years of hunting. My dad fell at the beginning of the hunt and hurt his legs and knees. This along with the altitude made the hunt fairly tough for him. The base camp was at 11,600ft., the hunting was a bit higher. I think that this is the end of his mountain hunting. The method of hunting was to use a russian jeep to get into a good area then they would go on foot from there. Upon reaching a sutable site they would glass for game and then make a stalk. They saw many ibex in the 46"+ range, but dad just could not physically get to them. His ibex was shot at around 250yds. with a browning A-bolt chambered in 7mm mag. it measured right at 40".

The ibex, shot at 13,000ft.

Black tailed gazelle shot at lower altitude in the desert.

His trophies back at home.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be a tough guy to hunt in those conditions but I think the Ibex made it worth while !! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this report. Looks like it was worth it. I leave with 3 others on Aug. 21st for Mongolia.

We have heard mixed reports and I am glad to see that the numbers of animals seen is high. Can you share any more details about the trip? Any issues, concerns, etc? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil to your Dad. Here's to a job well done, and a nice ibex!
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
pcs, his hunt went pretty smooth in regards to getting firearms in through customs. Which is always a worry for me.
The food on the other hand was a bit of a concern unless you enjoy boiled goat meat with rice. Fortunately he killed is ibex early so he ate it everyday from then on. I would suggest carrying some freeze dried food just in case.
I would also carry a supply of pain killers and other medicine in case you should happen to get hurt or sick.
The last thing I would say is to practice shooting at long ranges 200-350yds.
If you like I can send you a PM with his contact info if you would like to talk with him personally.

I wish you the best of luck.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went to Mongolia in 99; wrote a story about it in the March issue of Sporting Classics.

I thought the food was superb; twice I had trout for dinner.

The hunt is a good deal. The only thing that might cause issues is the timing of the travel - there aren't a lot of options if you misconnect, but that is why you have so much dead time going and coming.

I would not hunt in August, however. it is going to be hot as hell. I went in the middle of Oct.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thornell, thanks for the response. I am looking forward to a smooth trip. We are also visiting China.
I have been to Asia several times, so I guess that boiled goat isn't any worse than some of the things I have had elsewhere in Asia.
I will give a report when we return. (We are using a different outfitter).

Thanks again!

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. That looks like a good hunt.

Please explain how the horns made it home the same time he did? Was he traveling through a port of entry that could do an inspection on the spot or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and congratulations to your father. I hope he healed up quickly.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Kyler, If you hunt Mongolia you are allowed to bring them back with you. He took an extra duffle bag and put the the capes and the horns in together and brought them back. He said they never opened it to even check it in Asia or returning in Atlanta. I was a bit curious if this was true myself, but apparently it is.

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Charles, He is healing up but still had a bit of a limp this weekend.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great report... this is a hunt I want to experience myself soon! Especially while I am still semi-mobile!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thornell:
Charles, He is healing up but still had a bit of a limp this weekend.

I am glad to hear that he is improving.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to beg and plead with US Customs in MSP; they wanted to confiscate the cape and send it directly to a taxidermist.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt report!
I'm glad your father enjoyed the mountains while he still could.
I have heard many reports of Mongolia being over-hunted but it's nice to know there are still nice ones out there.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P.S. Is this a Gobi or Altai ibex?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
BOGHOSSIAN, it is an Altai ibex. He took it at 13,000'.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thornell:

You sure about that alititude? The highest mountain in Mongolia is 14,350 feet and it is covered by a glacier.

One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Thornell

Please convey my congratulations to your father he got a couple of very good trophies, and thank you for sharing his experience with us.

Regards,
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes indeed a job well done--tell your dad congrats---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote