One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted
Who: My 12 year old son and I

Mule Deer-Youth tag either sex.

Dates hunted October 29, 30, 31.

Where: Unit 111 in central Nevada-Ely area

Gun: Remington Model 7 Anniversary Edition 7mm-08

Ammo: Barnes 120 grain Tipped TSX Factory ammo.

Both my kids drew youth deer tags this year in Nevada (as well as late season cow elk). I put my daughter on a little forked horn buck earlier this month but she made a clean miss at over 225 yards away...still very proud we put the stalk on him together.

As my daughter is busy with high school band competitions, my 12 year old son Dane and I headed to the mountains again late Wednesday night to see what we could find.

We camped a ridge away from a spring that we'd seen deer at, but found deer coming through the ridge right behind camp. Nothing with horns, but as it was getting late in the season a doe would fill the freezer.

During the night the wind kicked up and on the morning of the 31st a group of deer came up the trail to the water but were moving very quickly. Around noon we decided to go for a drive and scout around other springs. We came back to camp about 2 pm and as we pulled in I thought how interesting the sun is at different times because that looks like a buck across the ridge.....holy cow it was!!

My son got out of the truck and took a shot at 175 yards, the deer went down with a spine shot and once we got up to it a finishing shot took care of the deer.

Great deer and a nice big bodied buck whose cape is already at the taxidermist and the meat is at the processor.

Steaks and jerky in a week!

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Fantastic buck or the kid! You did great, Dad.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Congrats on a great first Nevada buck.

Posts: 88 | Location: Reno, NV | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote