Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wisonsin Shooting
 Login/Join

posted
Get ready for the political fall-out from this one fellas. Every anti-gunner/anti-hunter is going to milk this for all the political correctness mileage they can.

We ALL need to get ready for this nest round.

Posts: 17 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Hunting rage: Wis. dispute leaves 5 dead

November 22, 2004

Chicago Suntimes

HAYWARD, Wis. -- A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday into a shooting that left five people dead and three injured, officials said.

The alleged gunman, from the Twin Cities area, was arrested Sunday afternoon, according to Sawyer County sheriff's officials.

The violence began shortly after a hunting party saw a hunter occupying their tree stand, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.

One of the shooting victims radioed for help, he said. When more hunters came to the scene, they also were shot, Zeigle said.

The shootings happened in the town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County, Sheriff James Meier said in a news release. Three people were taken to a local hospital, Meier said.

One victim was in critical condition at a Marshfield hospital, a nursing supervisor said. The others wounded were being treated at a Rice Lake hospital, where one was in critical condition and the other in fair condition.

Wisconsin's deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters.

After they got word of a shooting, it took about three hours to round up the rest of their party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed surrounding roads blocked off.

''When you're hunting, you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you,'' he said. ''You have no idea who is coming up to you.'' AP

Posts: 9383 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a few more details here:
http://www.greenbaynewschron.com/page.html?article=128703

I grouse hunt not far from Meteor. I was there a few weeks ago doing just that.

For those that do not know the area, it is heavily forested. There are deer, bear, elk and wolf in the that part of wisconsin. The people there are always very friendly and helpful.

A truly sad thing, that makes no sense.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
It says the killers name is "Chai Vang" And he used a "SKS semiautomatic a common hunting weapon" , Ignorant reporter.

Says Only 1 gun was found among the Victims.

SKS aint a deer hunting rifle.

This Chai Vang isnt a deer hunter. Hes a psyco. Maybe a PETA ! Maybe a viet cong terrorist?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
First I'd like to say I'm very sorry for the families and friends of the people who were shot in this incident. I hope the justice system shows no mercy on the murderer.

Quote:

...he used a "SKS semiautomatic a common hunting weapon" , Ignorant reporter.

Says Only 1 gun was found among the Victims.

SKS aint a deer hunting rifle.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... I've never heard of anybody deer hunting with an SKS, but that's not really the point. I was considering getting an AR-10 for dangerous game hunting and deer.

The fact that the shooting happened with an assault rifle is what's gonna make it easy for the gun banners to get started again. If it had happened with a single-shot rifle (which it easily could), gun banners would suggest banning all centerfire rifles. But now they're definately gonna at least come after semi-autos and high-capacity guns again... maybe all repeating arms.

I would like to hear what the NRA plans to do in advance to combat it... I wonder if there's anything that can be done to prevent the non-gun-owning and non-hunting public and law-makers from thinking banning guns is the solution. It would be good if everybody's eyes were opened to the failure of gun control in other countries. I can see the gun banners coming on strong this time.

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
This guy is going to turn out to be some recent "immigrant" with no clue as to local customs, good common sense, or knowledge of the outdoors. I am also wondering if he was on public or private propery. He was probably confronted with a "Hey Buddy, what the hell are you doing in my deer stand?" and things escalated from there. And he had almost gotten out of the woods with some help from some other, helpful locals when he was spotted by the game warden - like you weren't going to be able to pick out some "lost" Oriental dude in the Wisconsin woods. Wanna bet this thing creats as big a stir as the Lacy Peterson trial. After some defense lawyer, like Mark Geragos, gets involved, it'll be the local (and dead) hunters fault for picking on some "innocent" and "lost" new-comer. The best punishment would be to helicopter him back into the "wilderness" and let him try to survive a night or two - in sub-freezing weather with nothing but a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. And all this could have been avoided with a "my bad, I'm lost and freezing, can you help me find my car?" Those people he killed would have probably brought him to their camp, fed him, and taken him back to his vehicle. Idiot.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad the number is six undeserving deaths.
A hunting trip becomes a nightmare.
Using an SKS for hunting is fine.
A real sportsman would not load more then three rounds.
Hope justice will be served..

Posts: 92 | Location: Las Vegas, Nv | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote