Find
Notify
Tools

Hogzilla
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
Saturday evening, I was sitting on a tall hill that overlooks the river and a couple river bottom fields on my ranch. I had my .375 with me. Not sure why as the closest shot you can make from here is about 200 yards.

I had not seen a pig on my ranch since April or May, so I was shocked to see a pig run across the bottom field. I thought, "Well, I have a gun, I might as well take a poke at it."

Not sure of the yardage, I will measure it next week with a rangefinder. I would guess between 250 and 300 yards ?? The pig was at a trot, going across the field. I held about 16" high and about 2 feet in front of his nose and squeezed one off.

I thought I saw him fall, but was not sure. He ran across the field, full speed. I threw another one at him for fun.

I thought, "Well, that was a waste of two bullets." So I sat enjoying the last bit of the sunset.

It was dead calm and a beautiful evening. I heard a growl/gurgle/grunting noise and thought ... maybe I did hit him? I think I will go look at the road to see if there is a blood trail across it. I had no intention of following a blood trail into a very thick canyon at sunset. I just wanted confirmation that I had killed one more pig. Sure, seems like a waste, but I have to shoot every pig on the property or they become a real problem.

I drove down to the bottom field and start to walk the road looking for blood. Didn't have to look far, he was laying in the middle of the road, quite dead.

It was obvious immediately that this is the largest pig I have ever shot or caught. (I killed/trapped over 40 last March). I do not even want to venture a guess at the weight. I just know he was thick and solid.

I knew I could not lift this pig, no way. So, I went back to the house, emptied the bed of the Mule, and got two chains, a rope, flashlight, come-along, and camera.

I drove back to the pig and I wrapped a chain around his waist and I could not lift his butt off the ground with the chain ... I am not exaggerating. I backed the Mule up to him, released the bed so it would tilt down, like a dump truck, and hooked the come-along to the top bar of the Mule and cranked him in.

I still do not know what he weighs ...

Hogzilla 1

Hogzilla 2

Hogzilla 3

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't have to look far, he was laying in the middle of the road, quite dead.

I love it when a plan comes together. Cool

Well done. He has quite the snout on him, and some decent choppers.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is sooooommmmmeeee pig, as Charolette would say. Wow!!!

Hope your Razorback buds don't hear that their mascot is now pork tamales.

Posts: 10369 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
That thing is a monster! nice hog

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Wendel,

Looks like you need to get busy making sausages!!!!

Great pig.

Incidentally do you guys skin these like deer?

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell - Now thats the sort of quarry that really gets me going! Smiler Congrats - Don't you just love the .375?

FB - Unlike deer, the skin of a pig is attached to a fat layer covering the body. Means that you either scald the hair off the skin (leaving crackling once cooked) or, taking some time, remove the skin with a knife.

rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for shooting my mother in law.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a hog - just the thing to keep your blood circulating. AND I"m glad that you're well back in circulation after your ordeal

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crowrifle - are we related? I thought that was my mother in law!!!

Posts: 10369 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Man, Wendell, that is soooome hog!!

Congrats!!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
crowrifle & dogcat,

It is rare that I read anything here that really makes me laugh out loud.

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wendell, that thing is a monster !!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good one Wendell. He looks like a genuine #300 to me.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I bet that's over 400..

here is a 300+... I know, Neal shot this one last november, and it bottomed out a 315#scale with the snout on the ground.

this is in the bed of a long wheel base truck, not a mule

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one weighs 324. Looks to me a little bigger than Wendells. Hogs are very difficult to estimate from pictures

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Looks around 300-375 hard to guess with just a pic. Its a nice one though.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
around 330lb....

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Walker,

That's not fair! That kid weighs about 75 lbs.

Ok, let me do the math, if he is 75 and I am 225 and the pig is so long ... let's see ... carry the 8 ... add the square of the hypotenuse between the balistic coefficient and my birthday and ... plus the temperature , oops, first subtract 32 then divide by ... ok ....

My pig comes out to 4,578 lbs. Yep that is about right.

Seriously, I don't know what my pig weighed, but I do know If I shot a 324 lb pig when I weighed 75 lbs, I would have thought I shot an Elephant. I bet that kid will remember the monster Pig he killed for years, he will probably tell his grandchildren about it.

If that is your kid, tell him I am impressed with his pig.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is a puney little dude isn't he. He's not my kid, in fact, his Dad is the one kicking the javelina in the butt on that video that's floating around the web.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I don't care what it weighs - that is a hell of a hog!!

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
Holy crap Wendell!! Nice go'in!!

Mike

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TomFromTheShade
posted Hide Post
Why did you shoot such a small pig? LMAO. Good job!

- TomFromTheShade -

Make it a point in life to leave this world a little better off than it was before you came into it.

Posts: 81 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomFromTheShade:
Why did you shoot such a small pig?

Cause it was the only one I could find!

You know, I am a pretty good judge of trophy quality on most things. Pigs and Bears somehow escape me.

It was a snap decision to shoot this pig. It was seen and shot and over in a matter of about 5 seconds.

I actually thought after I shot this, "Uh oh, I hope I didn't just shoot a Javelina."

I had no idea it was as big as it was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If he was mine I'd mount him for sure. Hogs like like aren't behind every bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having him stuffed is a better idea than mounting him. Someone might see you.

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Indeed it´s a nice BIG pig !!

Congrats !

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!. I´ll guess about 140 kilo, what a trophy for a boy, way to go!

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dammit Boy! Nice porker!

I'm a wild bull rider and I love my rodeo

Posts: 104 | Location: Somewhere north of Eden | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno squat about pigs. But I damned sure like that one, if it was a black bear you'd have a nice one for sure. I'd love to try piggy hunting, we just don't have many wild ones around here.

the chef

posted Hide Post
According to my calculations the pig weighs in at 476 lbs.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WOW! My that's a big'n!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That kids grin says it all. Good pig Webdell. Looks like you are going to be eating a lot of pork roasts and chops for a while.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I'm almost 100% sure that pig will definitely go well over 400 lb. maybe even 500. Wendell's right about needing to shoot every hog you see on a place your trying to intensively manage for deer and/or exotics. Most people don't believe that a big hog will kill and eat Whitetail fawns and just about any other small, weak animal it can find. I saw a video on TV one time of some hogs in California tearing a baby goat to shreds. They can be viscious animals. They also breed like flippin' rats!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wendell
Baised on pigs I have actually weighed I would estimate the weight to be 300 to 350 lbs. It is hard to tell from a picture. Nice pig.
By the way two of the best eating pigs I have ever shot were two boars that went @ 300 lbs estimated and @ 325 lbs, weighed, he bottomed out my 300 lb scale. Both were very tasty.
Both were killed with my 9,3x74 R double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a real nice hog!!! I want one with a pistol, real bad.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Walker:
If he was mine I'd mount him for sure. QUOTE]

Deliverance revisited, eh? You must be from the south. Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you were in Hog Heaven.What I want to know is how you got that Hogzilla in the back of the truck! Hopefully a tractor with an FEL. beer

Posts: 91 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn Wendell!! eek2 that's one HUGE squealer!! Eeker congrats buddy!! clap
I love the H&H!!!! gunsmile YEAH!!!

zubin

One shot..meat! Two shots...maybe...Three shots...heap shit! - Old Indian adage

Posts: 137 | Location: Pune, IN | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Crowrifle - are we related? I thought that was my mother in law!!!

..God guys what do your wives look like.... Roll Eyes

That is one great pig...my dream is to take one like that with a handgun.

Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: NH, USA | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote